“Unique, nice hotel, great manager, needs a little work” 4 of 5 stars

The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 West Clarendon Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013   |
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Portland OR
“Unique, nice hotel, great manager, needs a little work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

This is not your typical hotel. Modern, cool design, unique rooms, nice pool, rooftop lounge, and hip design. Only problem is it's a little worn down. Needs a touch up to be first rate. Caters to the younger crowd, especially with its pool and rooftop lounge. Actually, in our stay, the rooftop was just a sitting and viewing area. No services. Rooms look cool, but are a little spartan. Nice beds, large flat screen tvs. Staff are nice, and manager, when told my wife and I were on our anniversary, upgraded us to small suite room. That was a nice touch. Restaurant in hotel is good. Overall, nice place, and certainly unique. Would I stay here again? Only if cleaned up a bit.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
PHXBen, Owner and General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Thank you for your review... and as the owner and general manager of the hotel, I cannot disagree at all. We've had a very rough past 18 or so months since the "great recession" hit, and as you may know, the hotel industry was hit much harder than even the auto industry, a recession the industry hasn't seen since the 1930s.

We have had a really fantastic February and March, and I am hoping that my ramen and mac-n-cheese nights are over at home and have already started spending money on the little touches on property.

We are repainting the common areas, replacing the carpeting in the hallways, have purchased new linens, and are getting new lighting and furnishings for the rooftop and are recovering all of the pool furniture as I speak... or type. ;-)

There are lots of "soft" improvements occurring at the moment, and you'll notice improvement in the fit and finish of the property over the next few weeks for sure, so please come back, and ask to say hi - I'd love to see if things meet and exceed your expectations.

Thank you!
Owner/GM
The Clarendon Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
san antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for one night, booked online. Generally when booking hotels I look for a safe clean place with reasonable rates and wireless internet. Extra amenities don’t usually interest me. My room was listed at $149 online but found it for $109 through one of the numerous online hotel sites. The hotel is an old building that’s been revamped into a boutique style hotel with modern colors, furniture etc. The room was clean and the area seemed safe. There is a really annoying point that bothered me though. After receiving my room key and handing over my credit card I was given a form to sign saying that I agree to a mandatory $10 daily fee to cover facilities, wireless internet, telephone usage etc.. It basically makes their online rate look more appealing by adding the extra charge on check-in. So if you find this hotel online add $10 to the nightly price. Reviewing there website the $10 charge is listed in tiny print within a very wordy paragraph. What added to my frustration is that the wireless internet was down during our stay and the pool was being drained and serviced so neither were available. There is a bar and restaurant attached that looked nice and pretty hip although I didn’t eat there. The overall look of the hotel was nice.

I would probably stay there again if I could find a room available in the $100-110 (including the $10 fee) but it is definitely not a $160 hotel by any means. I assume that others have been surprised by the fee because there are signs posted in the elevator explaining how they charge you an extra $10 a night. It’s not a ton of money, but it would be nice to know the real rate upfront and have the facilities actually in working order.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review - I apologize for not making the hotel service fee more visible - it should be listed on all online travel sites as well as our website and even in signage at the front desk and in the elevator... I'll make sure that it is not hidden at all, as the last thing I want is to spring an extra fee onto guests at check-in.

To put things in perspective, the $10/night fee does include 2 bottles of water (I just stayed in a hotel where they were $10/ea!), parking (nearby hotels charge $16-30/night for parking), internet (again, a few nearby properties charge $12.95-$16.95/night), long distance and international telephone calls (which can cost several dollars per minute at other hotels), six pool passes (up to $30/ea at other hotels), use of towels (some hotels charge $5/towel for use), and free sunscreen (we would never charge $20/bottle for sunscreen like another nearby property!), free yoga on Saturdays, free flamenco dancing on Wednesdays, free DJs on the rooftop on Sundays, and more...

I hope that clarifies things a bit - and I'm sorry for the pool being drained - we must change out the water on the pool/jacuzzi twice a year, and there's never really a good time to do it. If you come back, please contact me and I'll make sure that you are well taken care of on your next visit!

Thanks!
Owner/GM
The Clarendon Hotel

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

Upon returning with sister and friend from a Pacific Cruise we stopped at the Clarendon. One gets quickly used to cruise ship service politeness. The Clarendon was every bit their equal from the front desk to the friendly knowledgeable waiter in the restaurant, superb. My sister's friend is a retired interior decorator who was quite charmed by the whole atmosphere of the Clarendon. This is a touch of European style and American sensibility right in the middle of bustling Phoenix.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

Had a great stay with the Clarendon. Last minute trip and didnt have a reservation. The hotel staff was very helpful. Loved the rooftop with a great view of the city and the pool! The bed was very comfortable! Will definatly stay again!!

chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for several nights for business in mid feb. the hotel was perfect. the rooms were clean and nice. the pool area was hopping. there was something going on almost every night in the restaurant and bar area (band one night, flamenco dancing another). the food was yummy, the drinks were good.
we were able to walk to numerous restaurants and the metro within a mile..

rob417
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

The service was outstanding and rooms were quiet and clean. Could not ask for more.

Alamos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Checked into hotel with my 18 mo. old grandson, was told that I had to carry everything by myself as there was only one person on the front desk. After stacking luggage and grandson on luggage cart, was helped into the front door and elevator by other guests. Front desk man simply glared at me. In fact, he glared at me when I requested pool towels the next morning. There were no pool towels, we were brought a damp one and told the rest were in the dryer and would be brought to the pool asap. An hour later at a dirty poolside (catsup on the deck, drink glasses on the tables) no towels. At 1:30 pm requested that room be made up asap so I could put grandson down for a nap. By 3pm had to give up on room cleaning for the needed nap. Never did see housekeeping that day. The requested tub plug was turned down with, "I still don't think we have any of those..." It was ridiculous having to go to the front desk every day for coffee, towels, water, etc. that were not replaced by housekeeping. The room's lighting was a disaster, it was too dark to do anything unless directly under a lamp. The tub re-surfacing was pocked and peeling. The throw on the chair had multiple cigarette holes in it. The smell of paint (with the toxic VOC fumes) permeated our whole stay. Having stayed at "boutique" hotels around the world, this one rates with 1 star on the French scale. I've seen cleaner places in many developing nations.
The restaurant was FABULOUS; great service, food and attitude. Too bad it is not a part of the hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
PHXBen, Owner and General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
Thank you for your review... I'm very concerned that nobody was able to assist you with bringing your items and your grandson to your room. This is entirely inexcusable and I am calling an all staff meeting this morning as soon as I'm finished submitting this response to your review. I will ensure that everyone is offered assistance with their bags and that we have no employees that "glare" at guests.

That's not what we're about at the Clarendon - I try to hire locals who are very friendly, outgoing, and know the area very well. We only recommend independently owned local businesses for our guests to go to, unless they request otherwise. We understand that service and a unique experience is the essence of travel and do not want to stray from this philosophy.

On the issue with pool towels, they just seem to walk, and this happens very often. In fact, I spend about $900/mo on pool towels because so many are stolen. I just ordered another two cases last week, which arrived two days ago, and hopefully we won't have this issue for a while. I apologize for not having pool towels ready for you.

Can you please let me know what room you were in? I'm going to inspect this room and see what it had so many issues. The paint we use is low-VOC, so I'll double check that the correct paint is being used in the rooms. For peace of mind, note that our flooring is antibacterial and antimicrobial carpet tiles, and we use roller shades rather than allergen-and-dander filled curtains that hotels rarely (if ever) clean. Also, our newly installed air conditioning and heating system (just installed in November) has an "air clean" button that activates a plasma air filtration unit in the guest room. We also don't use multicolored comforters that most hotels only wash every 6-9 months, or tons of throw pillows, which usually just get thrown on a dirty floor then placed on a clean bed. The combination of these things really should make our rooms some of the healthiest rooms around air-quality, bacteria, and allergen-wise.

Thank you for the great comments on the restaurant - guests rave about the restaurant and the beds every morning... we're meeting in a few minutes to go over the other issues to make sure that that don't happen to future guests.

Owner/General Manager

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!