“Can I live there!?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 175 hotels in Phoenix
Bend, Oregon
“Can I live there!?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

I recently stayed at The Clarendon in Phoenix while on a business trip. My colleagues and I enjoyed the atmosphere, it seemed like the roof top deck was big for the locals, and we met a lot of people the nights we were there. The rooms were very nice and I think I got the best sleep I have ever gotten outside of my own bed! 4 days was not enough at this place, I look forward to going back next year during our next convention!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Victoria, B.C. Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

The Clarendon appears to "Hip and Happening" but I didn't find it so. Check in went well (except for the $10 a night per person Hotel fee) and the room appeared to be decent with funky decorating and new age music playing. After our first night's sleep we found the bed uncomfortable, the pillows thin, and the room stuffy - as the fans didn't work ( your supposed to use the air conditioning unit), the windows didn't open and the walls had chips and holes in them where the shower curtain had been moved several times. Considering the cost of the room I would recommend this hotel to people who like hard uncomfortable beds, noisy halls, and a "Hip" but unfriendly atmosphere. On the positive side, the restaurant is pretty good for dinner and the roof top patio is a great place to watch the sunset!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
PHXBen, Owner and General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Thank you very much for your review... I'm definitely concerned about your review and would like to take a moment to respond to the review. Please, next time contact us as soon as you have the slightest of issue and we'll do everything possible to make sure that your issues and concerns are addressed. Nothing short of a great stay is acceptable to me!

The hotel fee includes parking, internet, international telephone calls, gym access, pool access, sunscreen and pool towels, and up to 6 guest passes for the pool area - oh and two bottles of water per room. Other nearby hotels charge up to $30 for parking, then $16 for internet, then $8 per bottle of water, not to mention charge you through the nose for other amenities.

The beds should be extremely comfortable - I haven't had a complaint about the beds - not a single complaint - in years. We spent about 4 times as much on our beds as other neighboring hotels, and they're our number one compliment each morning. If you found it too hard, I would have gone to the store to get a feather bed for you, that's how much I want to make sure that you enjoy your stay!

You said that in the room the fans didn't work - what fans are you talking about? We have a brand new state-of-the-art air conditioning and heating system that even has plasma air filtration - I'd like to know which room you were in as I'd like to check this out immediately. Regarding the windows not opening, this has been a requirement for hotels in Arizona for quite some time, by the city, the insurance company, and the two major companies that rate hotels. In fact, we're converting the remaining operable windows to dual pane noise insulating non-operable windows over the next few years.

Thank you for the compliments on the restaurant - it really is fantastic and is very, very popular with local Phoenicians - be sure to come by on Wednesday nights for flamenco dancing - it's a great time!

And again, remember, if you're not having a good time, let us know! Unlike most hotels where everything falls on deaf ears and you're one of 2,000 guests, we're here to make sure you have an enjoyable time not just at The Clarendon, but also in Phoenix and Arizona... if you left your dog at home and miss him/her, come spend time with my dog - I bring her to work almost every day. If your bored, tell us and we'll find something fun to do in the nation's 5th largest city. If you're traveling on your own and you want to go out and do something, we'll try to match you up with another solo traveler to hit the town.

Ben Bethel
Owner / General Manager
Bronx, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I booked one week at the Clarendon Hotel while vising Phoenix with a friend on vacation. I was impressed after not only reading the positive reviews on Tripadvior, but the fact that the hotel manager individually responded to most comments and complains.

Everyone I spoke with at the front desk was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The hotel is located in the museum district of Phoenix. There is covered parking for a fee, but I was able to find parking on the street right outside the hotel each night which was free.

The room I booked was a junior suite and it included a large HDTV and a small single seater couch. The bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable and were comparable to 5 star Hilton, Hyatt, and Marriots I've stayed at. The walls were painted blue, with a multicolored rug and artwork hung on the wall. There was a very modern Fujitsu air conditioning / heater unit that was controlled with a remote and did not restrict you from making the room as cold or hot as you pleased.

The hotel featured a bar and Mexican restaurant in the lobby, which was pretty tasty but a little pricey, especially for cocktails. There is a rooftop bar, which was great for taking photos of the city. Also, there is a outdoor pool and hottub, which I did not get the chance to use.

Unfortunately, the noise insulation between the rooms and the hallways is not very great, so I could hear conversations in the hallway and every time a door opened and closed it made a loud noise. I stayed on the 2nd floor and the first night (Saturday) was relatively quiet as the hotel was nearly empty but by the second night (Sunday) it had filled up and it was difficult to sleep with all of the noise in the hallway. I spoke to the front desk in the morning and they moved me to another room on the 3rd floor which had much less guests. However, this room had an older style window which did not provide noise insulation from the street so I could hear cars going by, and also there was a terrible draft. In addition, the bathtub looked like it was in the middle of being renovated and there was uneven coats of paint on the bottom.

I spoke to the front desk and requested that I could check out early, and they were happy to accommodate me. Even though I prepaid the hotel through hotels.com, and the cancellation policy clearly stated I would not be eligible for a refund, they simply told me they would refund the money to hotels.com and I would just need to call them to get my refund. Sure enough, I made one phone call after returning home and had my refund for the nights I didn't stay on my credit card.

Overall I feel this is a great value hotel that is trendy and has a unique feel to it. The staff did everything they could to make my stay more comfortable. However, if you are sensitive to noise, you should consider bringing earplugs as you will hear everything in the hallway. Also, be sure to ask for a room that is fully renovated, if you don't want to hear street noise and have a draft in the winter.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We started our AZ trip in Scottsdale and decided to come back to a different part of town, glad we did. Very cool hotel, loved the funky rooms in different colors. The Gallo Blanco restaurant was nice too, we only tried a breakfast sandwich there but it was great. On street parking was easy, pool area was cool (and too cool to swim). Even with a work party it wasn't too loud. And they matched the deal I found on hotels.com so it was a bargain $67/nite. I just wish it was a little closer to other things, it was still a couple long blocks to Camelback but I think that's just the way it is in Phoenix. They could use another computer in the lobby but no real complaints.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Friendly staff, great food and bar area, excellent pool and even better hot tub. Unbelievable rooftop that looks over the whole city of Phoenix. Great location with walking distance to many places. We never once walked in or out the door without having someone smile and say hi or bye! Have and will recommend it to all family and friends when traveling to Phoenix!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

I love this hotel! The rooms are spacious with nice amenities. Beds are very comfortable. The pool area is unique and the rooftop bar is the perfect spot for watching the sun set over Phoenix.

The restaurant is just okay. A short walk away is Fez on Central. Great burgers and drinks.

For any GLBT travelers, you'll feel very welcome at the Clarendon and Central Phoenix. The hotels is within a short cab ride to several clubs - Amsterdams, Charlies, Sanctuary, Cash, Girl Club, Roscoes etc. Pick up an Echo mag for locations.

For non-GLBT travelers, the hotel is a nice family place, too. The larger rooms have pull out sofa beds and kids love the pool. It was quiet enough that I never heard the neighbors. It's also safe and not off any busy roads.

All over great local hotel that far surpasses the big chains.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!