“Cabana, pool and cocktails! The full package!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Clarendon Hotel and Spa

You added The Clarendon Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 West Clarendon Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013   |
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
“Cabana, pool and cocktails! The full package!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here in the past and love coming here for a staycation to get away! The pool is fabulous and the hotel is a totally package. Not to mention a delicious restaurant inside! I always recommend this place for out of town guests. The staff and management are helpful and full of knowledge. Excellent hotel that is close to downtown and convenient!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Provincetown, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Sadly, I had to travel to PHX after suffering a terrible loss in my family. I found this hotel online and the location was ideal, along with actually being a gay-friendly hotel, since I am also gay. However, that had nothing to do with my hotel decisions during this trip, and was more like an added bonus. It was also even better in discovering that they also featured a Mexican restaurant within their property since Mexi food is also my total favorite. I miss that a lot living on the East Coast, since either Mexican or spicy food fare options is hard to come by. The GSM was wonderful during my initial call to discuss rates since I would be there nearly a week, and gave me a compassionate and genuine impression on the phone. Also, while there, the ENTIRE staff I either the hotel and/or restaurant was always very polite and friendly towards me. I would stay there again wo a doubt, and also loved their King mattress. As a matter of fact, I plan to see where I can buy one since it was extremely comfortable and that memorable. I have spent big bucks in mattresses and that one far exceeded any of mine (past or present), which were supposedly the better rated and most desirable. Or else, maybe they can mail me the mattress from my room since their excellent customer service is nearly that good! Hint, hint! ;) Thank you, all, for making my stay there under sadness better by genuinely caring about me (and the devastating loss of my dearly beloved) while I was your guest. It touched my heart and didn't make me feel like I was totally alone even though I traveled solo. All the best to you and your staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I am sorry to say I was a bit underwhlemed with the accommodations. There were some pros, but I'm afraid they weren't enough to sway me into wanting to stay again (not for the rate I paid anyway).

Pros:
Central Phoenix location near nightlife
24 hour stay
Good restaurant
Neat pool area
Friendly staff
Bathroom seemed very clean

Cons:
You might laugh at this one, but it is totally true... Our room had an OVERPOWERING smell of MAPLE SYRUP. But not in a good way, it was weird. We never could quite figure out why/what it was. Even the next day after we left all day and came back it still reeked of maple syrup. No windows that could open to air it out.

A couple stains on the all white bed linens
I hit my finger on the corner of the night stand and the glass top was so sharp it cut me!

No ice machines so the front desk will give you ice. Well... they give you a bag of ice but we got to our room to find out there is no ice bucket or freezer. So our eventually melted in the fridge (that had no freezer).

The bed was not very comfortable.

The giant hot tub was not hot, just like warm.

When I booked online there was a section for special requests. I mentioned it was our 17 year anniversary so anything special they might be able to offer us would be awesome. I don't know, a nice view or a bottle of wine or anything at all would have been a nice appreciated touch but nada. Perhaps they didn't see that section.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I got this hotel through a Priceline purchase. You never know what your gonna get with these but most times your happy with your purchase. This time, as much as I travel, I wasn't... At all.

The hotel is under construction. The front of the building is a mess you have to enter through a back door, which is not clearly marked. The girl at the desk was pleasant and let us check in a few hours early, which could be the best part of the entire stay. Be aware, they charge a 20 Resort fee, for use of Amenities, that were closed for the day when I was there, yet still charged the resort fee.

We were checked into a room, and when we got there, the front door to the room was 2/3 of the open, propped open with a towel. Called the desk, and were brought keys to a room across the hall. When we open the door, the heat rushed at you, this room was over 80 degrees. No air on, and took hours to cool it down. We had a concert to attend that night, so we did not eat at the restaurant. They tell you at the desk you can always ask for bottled water at anytime, nice perk, except they bottled water was hot, I don't know about you but warm water is not appealing to drink when its 100 degrees outside!

They have soap in dispensers in the shower, so lord knows how long they have been in those machines. I could go on and on about things that were not up to par for a hotel that is sold as a 4 star hotel... This hotel should be a 3 star hotel at most. Hopefully they get their construction completed and other travelers have a better experience then I!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for your review, I'm glad I'm able to respond to this to correct a few statements and errors...

* The hotel isn't under construction - if it was it wouldn't be open yet and you wouldn't be staying in it, but we are going through a few improvements. We are creating a new entrance to the hotel, which with contractors and summer monsoon season and the city, is really hard to nail down exact dates when this work will be started/finished. The work was only scheduled to take a few days and it should be done two days from now, on July 17th, as long as we have no thunderstorms. Not sure why the temporary entrance isn't clearly marked... it absolutely should have been done by my employees, but I'm out of town and will check this as soon as I return.

* We will always let you check in early at no extra charge, as long as we have rooms available, so I'm glad you were accommodated. Please note that many hotels in our area (and around the world), won't even let you into your room until 3 or 4pm, and then require you to check out at 10 or 11am, which just isn't fair. We have no early check-in fees, we also have 24 hour stays, so you can stay a full 24 hours from the time you check-in, which is what won The Clarendon the best new hotel service award in the world for 2013!

* We do charge the $20 fee per night, but that does include parking (up to $35-57/night at other neighboring hotels), internet (yep, our neighboring hotels still charge $10-$25/night for Internet), unlimited international calls (our neighboring hotels charge ~$40 for a 10 minute international call), and completely free and unlimited bottled water, soft drinks, snacks, etc., etc. We are looking at dropping this fee soon, and instead just charging for parking like all the other downtown/midtown hotels, which will keep us in line with other properties for sure.

* Starting the end of July, we'll also be providing free laundry service to all guests... give us your tired, dirty laundry yearning to be clean and free of dirt/stains and yes, we will launder your clothes for free.... a bag of clothes at a neighboring hotel could cost over $200 to launder, and that's no exaggeration. We also provide Febreeze Air Effects in all guest rooms next to the irons, I saw this in Japan and thought it was amazing and a nice way to freshen your clothes after being stuck in a musty old suitcase in the underbelly of a plane for hours and hours.

* Ah, on the room being over 80 degrees when you enter, there's an explanation for this... 1) it saves energy, which allows us to pass the savings on to you, 2) it's smart, wise, green, and intelligent, 3) if you can get into a 145 degree car or walk outside in 100 degree heat, an 80-90 degree room should be just fine, and it will cool down in a matter of minutes, 4) we don't 'fake out' our guests by showing inaccurate temps... many hotels will let you think you're turning your air down to <70 degrees, but limit their temps to 74-76 degrees... at The Clarendon you can go down to 64 if you want, 5) bed bugs... yep, they happen everywhere, but we're one of the central phoenix properties that rarely, if ever, has any problems... why? because we keep the rooms warm during the summer until a guest checks in and this makes for bed bug free rooms... hotels that keep their temps at 74-78 degrees all year around are just fostering an environment for bed bugs, and that's just not a good thing.

* why the door was propped open, I'm not sure, but I'll put a stop to that... no doors should ever be propped open by anyone, ever... that's just not cool, and I'm sorry for that.

* shower soap dispensers.... actually the soap is in the dispensers for less time than soap is in individual bottles, as the sanitary, European, high-end product is vacuum sealed with no oxidation possible like in little bottles. These dispensers are well-received by guests, and will become required by law in some states in 2015 or 2016. We used to throw away 150,000 bottles of products, which weren't recyclable, and also came in boxes that came in cases that came in pallets, it was just an awful waste... and this product goes into landfills and then leeches into our groundwater supply without going through a wastewater treatment plant, not good in the desert. Also, think of it this way: if you arrive with your other half, take a shower, go to dinner, get frisky, take another shower, then take another shower when you get up in the morning, go to the pool, take another shower, then return to your room the two of you've just tried to take *eight* showers with one teensy bottle of shampoo and conditioner and body wash... with shower dispensers, you have as much product as you need for as many showers as you need.

* I should also add - because I just got done staying at 3 separate 4 star hotels in DC, NY, and Dallas, that only one hotel had a coffee maker in the room, and all they had was one packet of powdered creamer and one packet of sugar... we have Keurig machines, a whole container of liquid creamer (even flavored), and plenty of sugar in each room. Nothing as frustrating as this when you wake up, right fellow travelers?!

I hope that you come back to see the new entrance, I think you'll love it... it's something we needed to do for ADA compliance, but it will also make the property look a lot better as well. When you come back, I think you'll see why we're considered a favorite hotel amongst many Phoenicians... I know for a fact that no other hotel in the area gives you so much value for the money, plus incredible service, a great pool, the highest quality mattresses in the area, etc., etc., etc...

Thanks again for your review.... without comments like yours we cannot change for the better...

Ben Bethel
Owner/GM
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed here one night on the business trip. I have to say that this hotel may not be for everyone. I happened to be on a trip with a 50 year old co-worker and this was just a little too weird for him- although I think it grew on him after a couple of drinks at the pool. If you are looking for a cookie cutter chain hotel, this is not for you.

The hotel is obviously renovated from a former 60/70's era hotel. However, I thought the renovation was done very well- the pool area with the water wall looked great. The bedroom was clean and comfortable with nice surprises like music playing as you entered the room, a book on Buddha's teachings, and philosophy brand toiletries. The restaurant was very impressive with great food and drinks, reasonable prices, and it happened to be a night where they had Flamenco dancers performing, which was unique and very impressive.

Bottom line, I would definitely stay here again (and hopefully I will get a chance soon). If you are looking for a hotel that is a bit different yet still provides all the comforts, try the Clarendon!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I recently stayed at the Clarendon this past weekend. It was very charming and cozy. The pool was great and the restaurant connected to the hotel is delicious! Service was great and I especially want to recognize Josue Medina. He was very attentive around the pool area and if he couldn't help he would get someone to assist with your needs. I also like how you are able to get unlimited bottled water and snacks when needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you like quaint and charming places. Would stay here again if in the Phoenix area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I recently spent one night at this hotel with my wife and toddler. When we arrived, the gentleman at the front desk quickly checked us in and had us on our way. He was very friendly, and had some of the coolest glasses I've ever seen. While on our way up to our room, I noticed that the hotel looked like an old hotel that has been renovated to look modern and chic. The pool area, although we didn't use it, looked great!!! In the hallway leading up to our room, I noticed that some cables, possibly for TV or internet, were popping out from behind the molding at the bottom of the wall. Once in our room, I noticed that parts of the molding at the bottom of the wall were peeling off here as well. It also seemed that house keeping did a poor job of getting our room ready, as the refrigerator had a few half empty bottles of soda and water from the previous guest. The rest of the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The A/C machine was also quiet and effective in keeping the room cold in the Phoenix heat. Overall, a decent experience at best. I do not see myself visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you so much for your review... we try very hard to ensure that you have nothing short of an excellent time during your stay at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa. I'd like to take a few moments to address your concerns and tell you how we are actively working to correct any issues you may have had during your stay.

I'm glad that you liked our staff, and that you loved the pool area, even though you weren't able to use it during your stay. Our pool area, rooftop deck, restaurant, and service are really what we're famous for amongst Phoenicians.

I'll have my staff search for the area of the hotel you were talking about, with the cables coming from the wall. I've been making sure that cable management is one of the top things that we're addressing right now, as it's one of my pet peeves as well. All guest rooms should have neatly organized, as-little-visible-as-possible cables, and on your desk and nightstand should be a power pyramid with ample outlets and USB ports for charging your devices.

Housekeeping should be inspecting your room's refrigerator on a daily basis, and making sure that they empty refrigerators when guests check out. We are just now migrating from oversized (for a hotel room at least) refrigerators to smaller ones that are the newest trend in hotels as they quick-chill to 34 degrees at the touch of a button and shut off after 48 hours of non-use, in order to save energy. They also have a silent mode for guests who are sensitive to any noise from things like refrigerators.

I'm glad you like our heating and cooling system, it was just installed in 2009 and is very quiet as long as you understand the remote control. There's even an "ultra quiet" mode on it that you can barely hear. It's probably the cleanest system in the area too... there are three stages of filters that are cleaned every 30 days (or sooner) as well as an ozone generator option.

Also glad that you liked the beds... when I bought the hotel 11 years ago I understood that beds were the most important part of any hotel, as well as linens, so I've tried my best to choose a mattress that surpasses the quality of mattress you find in most 4-5 star hotels. In fact, our mattresses are several steps above the famous heavenly bed that so many people rave about at another hotel chain. Also, these mattresses were just replaced and upgraded just a few months ago.

We're at this very moment (July 9th) installing a new entrance into the hotel, along with new windows for many of the guest rooms. This project should be done by the end of next week, and once finished I think will really help to improve the property. This summer we're also working on replacing all guest room furnishings, all guest room showers with a shower system that has five waterjets and waterfalls that cover your body, and will be repainting all guest rooms.

I do wish that you would come back to enjoy the improvements at the property that are underway... it's going to be pretty amazing. Now that the recession is over (we had an especially hard time, being the only independent, non branded, non chain hotel in all of Midtown/Downtown Phoenix), you'll really enjoy the things we are doing to the property.

Like I mentioned before, The Clarendon really is a great property for those who want to enjoy the rooftop deck (location of Yoga and live music almost every week depending on the weather), restaurant (named one of the top 5 hotel/resort restaurants in Arizona, and not because it's stuffy or fancy, but because it's delicious and affordable), and pool area (complete with one of the world's largest glass water walls at 6 stories wide and 2 stories tall, 24K gold and platinum tiles, a 50 person hydrospa, underwater music, and 1,000 stars that twinkle on the bottom of the pool each night), our beds, our location, and our service.... not many hotels out there provide you with free wifi, 250-2500 airline miles per night, free international calls, free minibar snacks/drinks 24/7, free managers hosted wine hour, and soon the biggest freebie of all: free unlimited laundry service, which we expect to have implemented by the end of August at the very latest.

Come back soon and check out all the improvements.... we're always improving The Clarendon!

Ben Bethel
Owner/GM
The Clarendon Hotel and Spa

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!