“Retro hip hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 175 hotels in Phoenix
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Retro hip hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here one night on the business trip. I have to say that this hotel may not be for everyone. I happened to be on a trip with a 50 year old co-worker and this was just a little too weird for him- although I think it grew on him after a couple of drinks at the pool. If you are looking for a cookie cutter chain hotel, this is not for you.

The hotel is obviously renovated from a former 60/70's era hotel. However, I thought the renovation was done very well- the pool area with the water wall looked great. The bedroom was clean and comfortable with nice surprises like music playing as you entered the room, a book on Buddha's teachings, and philosophy brand toiletries. The restaurant was very impressive with great food and drinks, reasonable prices, and it happened to be a night where they had Flamenco dancers performing, which was unique and very impressive.

Bottom line, I would definitely stay here again (and hopefully I will get a chance soon). If you are looking for a hotel that is a bit different yet still provides all the comforts, try the Clarendon!

717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently stayed at the Clarendon this past weekend. It was very charming and cozy. The pool was great and the restaurant connected to the hotel is delicious! Service was great and I especially want to recognize Josue Medina. He was very attentive around the pool area and if he couldn't help he would get someone to assist with your needs. I also like how you are able to get unlimited bottled water and snacks when needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you like quaint and charming places. Would stay here again if in the Phoenix area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I recently spent one night at this hotel with my wife and toddler. When we arrived, the gentleman at the front desk quickly checked us in and had us on our way. He was very friendly, and had some of the coolest glasses I've ever seen. While on our way up to our room, I noticed that the hotel looked like an old hotel that has been renovated to look modern and chic. The pool area, although we didn't use it, looked great!!! In the hallway leading up to our room, I noticed that some cables, possibly for TV or internet, were popping out from behind the molding at the bottom of the wall. Once in our room, I noticed that parts of the molding at the bottom of the wall were peeling off here as well. It also seemed that house keeping did a poor job of getting our room ready, as the refrigerator had a few half empty bottles of soda and water from the previous guest. The rest of the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The A/C machine was also quiet and effective in keeping the room cold in the Phoenix heat. Overall, a decent experience at best. I do not see myself visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you so much for your review... we try very hard to ensure that you have nothing short of an excellent time during your stay at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa. I'd like to take a few moments to address your concerns and tell you how we are actively working to correct any issues you may have had during your stay.

I'm glad that you liked our staff, and that you loved the pool area, even though you weren't able to use it during your stay. Our pool area, rooftop deck, restaurant, and service are really what we're famous for amongst Phoenicians.

I'll have my staff search for the area of the hotel you were talking about, with the cables coming from the wall. I've been making sure that cable management is one of the top things that we're addressing right now, as it's one of my pet peeves as well. All guest rooms should have neatly organized, as-little-visible-as-possible cables, and on your desk and nightstand should be a power pyramid with ample outlets and USB ports for charging your devices.

Housekeeping should be inspecting your room's refrigerator on a daily basis, and making sure that they empty refrigerators when guests check out. We are just now migrating from oversized (for a hotel room at least) refrigerators to smaller ones that are the newest trend in hotels as they quick-chill to 34 degrees at the touch of a button and shut off after 48 hours of non-use, in order to save energy. They also have a silent mode for guests who are sensitive to any noise from things like refrigerators.

I'm glad you like our heating and cooling system, it was just installed in 2009 and is very quiet as long as you understand the remote control. There's even an "ultra quiet" mode on it that you can barely hear. It's probably the cleanest system in the area too... there are three stages of filters that are cleaned every 30 days (or sooner) as well as an ozone generator option.

Also glad that you liked the beds... when I bought the hotel 11 years ago I understood that beds were the most important part of any hotel, as well as linens, so I've tried my best to choose a mattress that surpasses the quality of mattress you find in most 4-5 star hotels. In fact, our mattresses are several steps above the famous heavenly bed that so many people rave about at another hotel chain. Also, these mattresses were just replaced and upgraded just a few months ago.

We're at this very moment (July 9th) installing a new entrance into the hotel, along with new windows for many of the guest rooms. This project should be done by the end of next week, and once finished I think will really help to improve the property. This summer we're also working on replacing all guest room furnishings, all guest room showers with a shower system that has five waterjets and waterfalls that cover your body, and will be repainting all guest rooms.

I do wish that you would come back to enjoy the improvements at the property that are underway... it's going to be pretty amazing. Now that the recession is over (we had an especially hard time, being the only independent, non branded, non chain hotel in all of Midtown/Downtown Phoenix), you'll really enjoy the things we are doing to the property.

Like I mentioned before, The Clarendon really is a great property for those who want to enjoy the rooftop deck (location of Yoga and live music almost every week depending on the weather), restaurant (named one of the top 5 hotel/resort restaurants in Arizona, and not because it's stuffy or fancy, but because it's delicious and affordable), and pool area (complete with one of the world's largest glass water walls at 6 stories wide and 2 stories tall, 24K gold and platinum tiles, a 50 person hydrospa, underwater music, and 1,000 stars that twinkle on the bottom of the pool each night), our beds, our location, and our service.... not many hotels out there provide you with free wifi, 250-2500 airline miles per night, free international calls, free minibar snacks/drinks 24/7, free managers hosted wine hour, and soon the biggest freebie of all: free unlimited laundry service, which we expect to have implemented by the end of August at the very latest.

Come back soon and check out all the improvements.... we're always improving The Clarendon!

Ben Bethel
Owner/GM
Sedona, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Taking a trip to Phoenix in June is pretty absurd, but finding the hotel made for the younger crowd was a pleasant surprise. This hotel has a lot of great amenities including a fitness center, and free internet in the rooms, which was a big thing for the millennial who needs to work. The hotel looks like it was an old hotel that is in the process of getting a face lift. Even though our room had a terrible view (the elevator!), it was still a great room and experience. The AC unit was a bit loud, and may need to be updated, but it worked. The king size bed was super comfortable. There was also active life around the pool and the restaurant at all hours. It seems like this hotel has a mindset to focus on the whole staying experience and not just be a bed for someone to crash in. Their marketing strategy is definitely focusing on attracting a millennial audience with art events, flamenco dancing, yoga, etc. If you are looking for a hotel to have fun at, and not just sleep in, stay here.

Green Features: Hotel has shower features and amenities that seem to support less waste.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

my daughter made two requests when coming out to visit me this summer from Iowa.make sure your AC works in the car and Take Me To The Clarendon !Great drinks funky syle and fun personalitys make this a phoenix one stop vacation.

Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Love the pool and very hip rooms and rooftop views!!!!! I loved the service and super clean rooms. Would go back for a stay cation in a heartbeat! This is a best kept secret of the valley. Would not stay anywhere else in the downtown area. Hotel is close to everything!

• Stayed December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel was very outdated, although the pics make it look new and cool. The velveteen headboards, plastered walls, and overall OLD look, made it feel nasty and sticky. I will never return! REFUND!!

Room Tip: You'd need a shower just to walk down the halls.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
I'm so sorry that you gave us one star... it's very rare that we get such a review, and we do have a satisfaction guarantee... I'm not sure if you took advantage of this, but we want all of our guests to be completely satisfied.

On a positive note, you should know that we've done so much to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa since I purchased the hotel 11 years ago... and a lot of the work has been done very recently. We're currently the top Zagat rated hotel in Central Phoenix and in fact are the only Zagat rated hotel in Central Phoenix, and a favorite hotel of locals.

As far as the images of the hotel used online, they were taken by myself and employees of the hotel using our digital cameras and mobile phones, no professional photography trickery there. I'd hope that you could elaborate in a positive manner rather than a passive aggressive manner and let us know what it is we could improve to make your experience better.

As far as the headboards, they're not velveteen, they're made of a microsuede, and they are being replaced as we speak. We're using a company that makes furnishings for some of the highest end hotels in the world, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see the furnishings at the end of the summer. We're also repainting all of the rooms this summer, and I think you'll like the new color scheme and look and feel of the room interiors. Just our new showers alone will be the best hotel showers in Phoenix with overhead rainfall features, a waterfall feature, and side jets to massage your entire body while you're showering.

Don't forget about our complimentary yoga, our complimentary sessions with a personal trainer, our flamenco dance performances on Wednesdays, our live jazz on Thursdays, our completely free selection of snacks and drinks at the front desk, free international calls, high speed internet, and soon something that no other hotel does: completely free guest laundry services, coming in the next few weeks... no more paying $75 for 4 articles of clothing to be washed... we'll launder an entire load of laundry for you, free of charge!

Also, don't forget about our award winning pool and rooftop, complete with 20 cabanas, 8 of which are completely free to guests whereas other hotels would charge up to $500/day for their cabanas. And the pool, with its 50 person jetted hyrdotherapy pool that sits next to the world's largest glass water wall, next to an italian tile mosaic mural with 24k gold and 24k platinum tiles, and next to that is our heated pool, complete with fountains and underwater speakers and at night, a constellation of 1000 twinkling stars that look like the milky way galaxy. There's simply no other comparison, and this is the reason we win the award for best hotel pool year after year after year.

One thing I think that you'll enjoy seeing this summer as well is our completely new entrance, with a star studded walkway, sunflower heliostat, mid-century modern screen walls, lush desert landscaping, and an 85 foot long beam dropping water into a pool of water below. Also to come is an LED grid of lights, dropping from the pool area which will twinkle like stars one moment, like fireflies the next, like champagne bubbles the next, and in the winter like gently falling snow. It's going to be an art installation like no other, and we're really excited about it.

I truly believe that the essence of travel is to experience things that you would not experience at home, otherwise why bother traveling if you're just going to stay in a chain hotel that would be the same as you'd find at home. We use the same beds as 5 diamond hotels and the same linens as 5 diamond hotels, and one of our greatest compliments each day is our service and our beds.

Again, I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy yourself... it really does sadden me to hear this, and I'll do everything possible to make sure that guests like you do have an excellent time during their stay... if you do come back, please let us know ahead of time and we'll do something extra-special for you to makeup for any shortfalls during your previous stay.

Also, don't forget about our 24 hour stays - we're one of the only hotels on planet earth to offer this at no extra charge. If you're staying just one night with us, you can check in at 7pm and stay until 7pm the next day with no questions asked or extra charges. We feel that it's unfair to guests to check into a hotel late at night and have to check out at 11am in the morning, because you're not getting your money's worth.

Come back, give us another try, I'm not sure how we were a 'miss' with your experience when so many people tell us upon departure that they can't wait to come back, that they wish that they could stay longer, and that they're coming back to Phoenix just for The Clarendon and nothing else.

Ben Bethel
Owner and General Manager
The Clarendon Hotel and Spa

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!