“Hip Place with lots of fun attached.” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Clarendon Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 West Clarendon Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013   |
Ranked #13 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Bisbee
“Hip Place with lots of fun attached.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Cool and kitschy outpost in downtown Phx. They are working constantly to update and improve it. It attracts a fun crowd. The food there is delish. It's totally queer and hipster friendly but silly old folks traveling will fit in just fine too.

I'd go back...

Room Tip: Maybe something not right over the restaurant unless you want the smell of delicious food waking you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Recently renovated, we had an AMAZING weekend at this cool boutique hotel~ urban feel, amazing staff/GREAT hospitality...cozy and comfortable rooms, quaint pool area with friendly people...it's a must experience in Phoenix! Gallo Blanco (restaurant) on the property~ delicious!

• Stayed September 2013
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We are very excited when we checked in. 24 hour reservation, free WiFi, snacks...what more could we ask for? Well, hot water for a shower would be nice. We complained once and we're told maintenance would be notified. We went to take showers a second time after hanging out at the pool and there was still no hot water. We complained again on check out at were given a non concerned "we'll look into it." Overall the stay was great and service was good too, but hot water is a necessity and acting a little more concerned would have been nice.

• Stayed August 2013
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you so much for this review - I'm concerned why my staff wouldn't have responded or moved your room, and I apologize for that. We haven't had hot water issues in years and years, and I paid for a very expensive and very high tech hot water system... I'm thinking this was isolated to the valve in your guest room, something that should have been a quick fix or easy move... I'm really, really sorry for this! What's worse is that this happened in August, when Phoenix's COLD water is already around 75-85 degrees, no joke... that's what makes me think this was isolated to the room. Still, no excuse for your experience.

Hopefully we'll see you again, next time I guarantee hot water in your room! ;-)

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The front desk staff, Melly and Tara could not be more accomadating. Every time we passed the front desk, they offered us complimentary soft drinks and water. The temp. in Phx. was a106 so we stuck with the water. They also had a great array of snacks that was also complimentary. They were upgrading the facade, but that did not detract from the stay.We had a junior suite that was very big. Located in the hotel is a very nice southwestern restaurant and is privately owned, as is the hotel.
I would definetly recomend this hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at The Clarendon Hotel for nearly four weeks this summer on business. I slept like a baby in the king size top of the line Serta bed and enjoyed Italian coffee in my room every morning. The hotel and restaurant staff are very friendly and accommodating and I especially enjoyed the healthy local and mostly organic food in the restaurant. I never grew tired of eating breakfast there, often ate lunch, and always looked forward to a healthy and delicious meal in the evening. The renovations were somewhat inconvenient in August, but a small price to pay. The improvements to this already unique hotel look amazing and I'm sure the hotel will continue to enhance this central Phoenix neighborhood. The hotel supports and recommends local businesses and promotes community. The restaurant cooks with wood and the aroma is amazing. Many locals also gather at the restaurant to enjoy breakfast, lunch, happy hour (all day on Tuesday), and dinner. We plan to return whenever possible for business or vacation, and whenever we are in the area to eat at Gallo Blanco. I will miss the food and the staff at both the restaurant and the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel and Gallo Blanco to travelers, as well as those who live locally. I traveled in July and August, 2013.

Room Tip: I did not use the spa, but enjoyed the pool and hot tub and the rooms surrounding the pool are very...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My bad.... I looked at the reviews - saw the pictures - believed the 4 star rating.... First, the hotel and restaurant are under construction, elevator doesn't work, lobby was a bomb... Customer service "what customer service"? I could go on but it just pisses me off more - I can't, in good conscience, recommend this place at all. I feel like I fell for a complete bait and switch to the maximum degree!

• Stayed August 2013
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
For guests considering a stay at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa: please note that all work will be completed this upcoming week!

Mr Bonesy,

Many apologies... I've owned the hotel for 9 years now, and there's never a good time for improvements. The bad news is that we were trying to deal with various contractors, who all have very different schedules, but we did do our best to contact every guest prior to their stay to let them know about the improvements to the exterior and the elevator that were going on. We also located all guests away from any noise issues - we do have 4 buildings on property, and we would close one building and put guests in the remaining 3 buildings, even upgrading most guests for free to junior suites and one bedroom pool view suites. We even provided many guests with bottles of wine and massages and other things to apologize for the inconvenience,and out of about 1800 guests this month, I've received six complaints... everyone else has been very, very understanding, and many said they were excited to return to check out the improvements when finished.

You mentioned that the elevator didn't work... I just need to clarify this... it's not that it didn't work, it worked just fine. We are required to be code-compliant with existing elevator codes, and to be compliant with the new 2013 code, we were required to take the elevator down for a short while to make these repairs/improvements.... all in the interest of the safety of our guests and employees. In the meantime, we located all guests on the 1st floor or 2nd floor, and if guests didn't mind we placed them on the 3rd/4th floors. Now, if you weren't able to get on the 1st floor, I'm not sure why.... but in all honesty, if you're complaining about walking one entire, giant, long, horribly inconvenient flight of stairs - a distance of 14 steps - especially after walking in from the parking lot or through an airport or through a shopping mall or museum, then you're just being a really difficult person who's seeking something for nothing. Or maybe you're one of those people in the movie Wall-E who expects to be carried around everywhere while constantly being fed/entertained.

The good news - there's always good news!!! All of the exterior work that had any noise issues is finished as of today, August 23rd, 2013. The elevator re-opens on August 29th, 2013. The rooftop deck re-opens shortly thereafter. Our spa opens in September as well... and all guests who book at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa will receive a free welcoming foot treatment, one treatment per booking...

I am really sorry for your inconvenience, we did do our best to notify all guests... and even at check-in you obviously saw the improvements that were going on.... if you had an issue about this, you really should have spoken up there and then... and we would have taken care of this, even relocating you to a better property, another 4-star hotel, and would have made it a seamless transition... if I was around, I would have even personally driven you.

I want nothing in the world but for everyone to enjoy their stay here... when I started this business 9 years ago using nothing but my home equity loans and credit cards and $3000 I had in my pocket, I wanted nothing but to make the community better, and to make sure that people living in Phoenix and guests visiting Phoenix had nothing but amazing experiences... I'm sorry that I failed to meet your expectations - I feel terrible for that, and I'd love to make it up to you. I never had any contact from you, the staff doesn't have any notes on your folios, so your choice to be passive-aggressive with this review really concerns me. For other reviewers reading this, please, please contact me before anything becomes a problem - we're here to serve you, to take care of you, and to create great experiences, so please be proactive and not retroactive, and we'll make sure that you have a great time. I guarantee it!

The Clarendon Hotel

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!