“Great downtown location and vibe.” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Clarendon Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 West Clarendon Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013   |
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
“Great downtown location and vibe.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We have spent two of our anniversaries at The Clarendon. Both times we immediately felt a really comfortable, cool atmosphere. I feel that the value is great! It is almost impossible to stay anywhere in the metro area in April for under $300, so we were very impressed with our cost. The beds are very comfortable & bedding is so nice. Nicely done!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family and I had the unique pleasure of spending a few days at The Clarendon while attending a Crossfit competition. I can honestly say I've never stayed in such an eclectic place. The mood and decor was a cross between retro and post modern. You just can't place it but you feel like you're in some sort of dream. I felt I was in a Tarantino movie and, as a filmmaker, and I have every intention of approaching the owner about shooting a film there at some point. When ever we come to Phoenix, we will be staying at this unusual place. I should also say that the staff was very accommodating. The restaurant in the lobby is also a great place to eat. Don't want to over rate it, the Hyatt it is not but I don't think they make that claim. For the price, it's solid. It's a Holliday Inn Express on LSD.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Had stayed here once before and wanted a quick "staycation". Found an awesome deal and decided to go for it. Check in was quick and easy. The lobby is really cool- and there's some gruesome history from an assassination in the 70s or 80s- that was my sons favorite part! The kids loved the pool and we really liked the room. I like the decor because I don't feel like I'm staying at a chain hotel. I guess my only complaint was that I should have booked 2 nights.

• Stayed April 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I actually live less than a 1/4 mile away from the Clarendon, I even have a pool at my house, but when I want a little get away close to home I stay here. I love the attention to detail and the excellent customer service! Last year I had my 39th birthday party here and they gave us a discount on a block of rooms as well. We were there on a Saturday night and a bit rowdy but they didn't mind. They also let people in to the pool at no charge that were coming to celebrate with me. I am also getting married this year and this is the only hotel I am recommending to my guests. Ben, the owner, is very hands on in his approach to running the hotel, you don't see that very often. They just put in new cabanas at the pool, very posh! That is another thing I love about the Clarendon, they are always doing upgrades. I love Gallo Blanco, they have some of the best tacos and at price that can't be beat. I can't say enough great things about this lovely hotel!

Room Tip: If you prefer a quieter room, get one away from the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

From the second we walked in, it was welcoming and great service. We only got to enjoy one night, but we've been dying to go back ever since! It was very clean. The pool was fun. And the night view from the rooftop was amazing. Love this place!

• Stayed June 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

A fabulous little locally-owned hotel in the heart of Phoenix. Really nice owner, superb service, great restaurant, amazing pool. The rooftop is a super place to watch the sunset and have a drink while overlooking the Valley of the Sun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had read the reviews of this property for a while and finally decided to make a detour to Phoenix to see for myself. It was definitely worth the journey.

Let me start with the staff. I have never had a warmer, more genuine, welcome at a hotel. In fact, I was greeted at the front desk by the owner who immediately offered me a bottle of water (choice of room temp or chilled) and gave me his business card in case I needed anything during my stay. He has clearly set a great example as all of the staff I encountered shared his warm and professional attitude. I arrived several hours before check-in time and expected that I would have to hang out by the pool until a room was ready. My room category was not available so I offered to take a lower category room in order to get in right away but it wasn't necessary as the person checking me in said she would give me a complimentary upgrade. Within five minutes I was in my room and within 10 I was at the pool. That is the kind of treatment usually reserved for very regular customers.

My room was extremely spacious and well-appointed. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning was great. The bathroom isn't large but certainly allowed me to do everything I needed to do. My room had two enormous flat-screen televisions.

Many reviewers comment on the great pool area and the attention is well-deserved. It is GREAT. The photos on this website are a little out of date as the pool area has obviously seen many upgrades recently including all new pool furniture. The scene by the pool can be lively but I never felt that any guests were too noisy and, contrary to some reviews, I saw absolutely nobody smoking. In fact, when I checked in the staff made a point of making clear that the entire property including the pool area was completely non-smoking.

Though technically not part of the hotel the restaurant, Gallo Blanco, is amazing (see separate review.) I chose not to rent a car for my three day/two night stay and ate my breakfast and dinner here. I can't say enough about the food and friendly service. The free breakfast for guests who book directly with the property is a real treat.

Finally, though I am not a big user of public transportation, I made my return trip to the airport using the light rail system. The station is a only four (somewhat long) blocks and even on a hot day it was easy. Allow an hour for the trip but the $2 ticket is worth a few extra minutes. I will definitely use it next time and that will be soon as I'm already planning my next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!