This is one of the worst places we have sayed at. I booked the room through a discount site which offered this hotel for $130 per night which seemed fair for a supposedly 3 1/2 star hotel.
However, this place is more like a 2 star MOTEL.
1) I was surrounded by drunks walking up and down to the pool and back to their room until at least 1 am, I stopped looking at the clock because I had a 6 am flight and had to try to get some sleep.
2) I had requested an early check in and the front desk told me since I booked with a "discount site" I had to pay a $25 early check in fee. Note to owner: don't nickel and dime your customers, it's very cheap, expected of a 2 star motel . And result is negative feedback.
3)there is another $10 "resort fee". Resort? This is not a resort, I have been at a resort, clarendon is not even close to being a resort.
To top it all off, the uncomfortable.
I ended up paying almost $170 for what should be considered 2 stars at best.
Here is the punch line,
Spend the money properly and go to a big chain hotel with reliable and predictable quality and service
Don't stay here. This is a party motel , so if you are in the area for business, and have early...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you very much for your review - I'm sorry that these issues weren't resolved by the staff, and I'd like to take a moment to address these issues individually.
I'm glad that you found that the rates were reasonable - we agree. In fact, we do a weekly rate comparison between The Clarendon and other hotels in our area and find that our rates are usually 35%-60% less than any other hotel in the area, and we do our best to give you value for your money, and a great experience.
I'd disagree with the "motel" statement you made - a motel is a "motor hotel", where you drive your vehicle right up to your room door, which is definitely what we are not. We're a hotel, and many people call The Clarendon an urban retreat, a resort, or even an oasis in the middle of the city. Perhaps because of our pool, which has been named Phoenix's Best Hotel Pool for the past 5 years running!
On your list of items, here's a response to each of them in order, to explain our policies and try to understand your frustration a little better. My goal is to create a great experience for all guests, and when I went into business, it wasn't to put myself out of business... I want you to be happy, and I want you to return, and I want you to tell all of your friends about your experience.
1) Drunks - you said you were "surrounded by drunks walking up and down to the pool and back to their room until at least 1am" - Our pool closes at 10pm Sunday through Thursday nights and 11pm on Friday and Saturday nights, so I'm not sure how this was possible. Please let me know what night you stayed, as I'd like to examine the security footage. We have closed the pool early for a long time now, because of exactly this reason.
2) Early check-in - you're correct, you were charged the fee because you used a discount site. Keep in mind that our rates are in parity across all sites, and should be the same no matter which site you check. However, if you book directly with the hotel, you get early check-in, we don't take your money up front, we charge you at check-out, we give you a generous cancellation policy, you're more likely to get a better room location, and even sometimes a free room upgrade if you book directly. If we allowed everyone to have early check-in, we just wouldn't have rooms available on time and everyone would be upset all the time, as rooms do need to be cleaned from the guests who just checked out, as we've been very busy lately due to the number of positive reviews we've been receiving.
3) $10 resort fee? No, there's no $10 resort fee... however there is a $17 hotel service fee. Keep in mind that this includes internet, parking, unlimited bottled water, unlimited minibar snacks and drinks, and even international calls. Our competition in the neighborhood charges up to $60/night just for parking and internet alone, and we feel this fee gives you a tremendous amount of value for the money.... another example, a nearby hotel has a tiny little clear plastic cube of M&Ms or Snickers in their minibars for $12!!!! And their bottle of water (water is H2O, nothing more than that) is $10!!!! At the Clarendon, these items are included, so what can get better than that?!
We always want you to enjoy your stay - we're the smallest hotel in Central Phoenix, and with that comes great personal service... and an incredible amount of value for the money. Give us another shot, be sure to ask for me - if I'm not there, my mobile number is always sitting right at the front desk on my business cards, what other hotel owner in the world readily makes their mobile number available to everyone?
If you're a traveler considering The Clarendon for a future stay, keep in mind that I *guarantee* that you'll enjoy your stay... if not, I've been known on occasion to personally drive guests to another hotel... I've also been known to do this with guests who are just generally unhappy people, it's better to keep the positive energy at the hotel and put the negative energy somewhere besides The Clarendon!
Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to reply to this review... I appreciate it - I get more guests at The Clarendon for my responses to "less than stellar" reviews than I do from anything else.
The Clarendon Hotel
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.