“This is a place for me.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 West Clarendon Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013   |
Ranked #11 of 174 hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Anywhere
“This is a place for me.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I'm in the midst of a 10 day stay here, and I can honestly say this is amongst my favorite hotels in the world.

I travel year-round, and just got off a six month assignment and needed a quiet place to finish my work. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

The restaurant downstairs is amazing. Breakfast vouchers cover a huge, fresh meal with at least 15 choices. Lunch and dinner menus cover virtually any taste. Get here soon for the octopus tacos.

Decor of this hotel is indeed early 70's art deco, which I love - the pool area is quiet and very beautiful. The hot tub is luxurious, clean, and connected to the pool. The design is outstanding.

Staff - friendly, outgoing, helpful, and fun. I have already traded music with one of the bartenders.

I barely feel like I need to leave this place. What a treat.

But, if I did, there's a Safeway two blocks away, and Phoenix's most happening night club The Rhythm Room two blocks the other way.

About me: a music industry professional on a sabbatical. have traveled the world continuously for the last 15 years, I know what I like in hotels, and don't expect or want hand-and-foor luxury everywhere I go. I just appreciate pride and individuality in vacation spots. This place has individuality NAILED.

Also, I am writing this review in one of their incredibly nice bathrobes...on one of the nicest beds I have ever slept in. Not too shabby.

Upon checkin - I was given a very fair offer to upgrade to a suite. Given what I already took to be a very fair room price, I upgraded. Unbelievable.

There are of course little things that a fussy traveler could poke holes in, but for me, this place is perfect.

If you are young (even at heart), and want to experience Phoenix as opposed to Scottsdale...this is the place for you.

What fun, not a normal hotel - and beautiful for exactly that.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to a suite - if not busy, you're in luck.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our Room was ready upon Check-In. After driving 6 hours to get to Phoenix it was Super to have the Staff offer ice cold bottled water and quick snacks at our arrival. The Food in Gallo Blanco was excellent. The beer cold and the surroundings appropriate. I did not try the restaurant for breakfast using our vouchers, due to my schedule. I am sure breakfast is great.

The weeknights are filled with activities in the dining room and bar areas, especially Wednesday-Flamenco Night! Although it is not noisy or disturbing if you are in your room.

I didn't have the need for wi-fi this visit, but I did understand that reception is best in the lobby/restaruant areas.

The Rooftop bar was not open at times I was on the roof, but the views were amazing and I could probably stay up there for hours. There are tables, benches and umbellas as needed.

It is what we could call a 'Retro" kind of atmosphere, and I imagined being back in the '50s or '60. The genuineness of the staff was most impressive.

I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the pool, 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were in Phoenix for 1 day on business trip, and booked this hotel through one of the travel sites where u pick the star and prepay and they put you in hotel. WHAT A MISTAKE(I have done it many times before but they have changed their policies and now allow hotels to charge you in addition to what you prepaid), anyways,I got tthis 3 1/2 star hotel for $90 after tax, what deal right? Nope. Once we arrived, the rude woman at the front desk told us we were 2 hrs early and check in time was 3, pm unless I wanted to pay $25 per person to check in early (she said " since I booked through a DISCOUNT SITE " and not hotel directly. Well if I wanted to pay $140, I would have gone to a real 3 1/2 star hotel.So we sat in the car for 2 hrs, and checked in at 3.
The hotel was modern looking, with a nice pool in the middle, perfect for college kids and road warriors.
Water was too cold, I could not take a comfortable shower.
I found two tiny bugs in the room, 1 on the carpet, ans one on the mattress.
The drunk kids were in the pool area until 1 or 2 am then they took the party to the hallways, when I called front desk they told me that it was a bachelorette party and they had a lot of rooms booked . ???????
Upon check out, they charged me $10 per person for resort fee, what resort? What happened to prepaid, how can you prepay and then be forced to pay more. So $90 per night after tax turned into $160 per night for a 2 1/2 star at best hotel? Please trust my review. Look at other hotels, if you go here, you'll regret it, but if you end up going and experience the same, just come back to trip advisor and leave a review for other fellow travelers to read .
Thanks

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel, and you'll have a better room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your review - as the owner and operator of The Clarendon hotel for over eight years, I'm very, very concerned when I read reviews where guests had such a terrible time that they rated us as "1 star". When I bought The Clarendon, my goal was to create a great experience for guests so they would go home thinking that Phoenix was a wonderful place to visit where there are many alternatives to staying in boring national franchise hotels.

Regarding the discount site and early check-in, we're fairly busy these days and in order to check you in prior to 3pm we do require an early check-in fee unless you booked directly through our website or reservations line - otherwise we'd have a lot of people waiting until just after midnight to try to check in early for that day - trust me, this happens a *lot*. I will review our early check-in policies and meet with staff to see what we can do in the future.

I'm not quite sure why you waited in your car for 2 hours.... that's absolutely silly - we have an amazing rooftop deck overlooking the city and surrounding mountains, you could hang out in the pool area, or have a drink and some food in the restaurant while waiting for your room to be ready.

Regarding the cold water, we have 3 giant hot water heaters with water that constantly circulates around the building using a circulating pump, and if the water temperature goes below 115 degrees or above 130 degrees, a text message is sent to my phone as well as my maintenance staff's telephones, and I haven't received a message since January when the circulating pump went out. Are you sure you turned the dial to "H" for hot? Many hotels have handles that the higher you turn the volume knob, the hotter it gets... here, you have to adjust the volume knob as well as the temperature knob. If the water was cold in your room, it would have been cold throughout the entire hotel.

Bugs in room? We'll definitely look into that... many hotels in the area have had huge bedbug infestations, and we've been very diligent, have a very detailed inspection process, and according to a county health inspector have some of the cleanest rooms he's seen. Granted, our building might be a bit older, but we really do care about cleanliness.

Regarding people being in the pool area at 1-2am, I'll pull the video on this - we close our pool area at 10p on weekdays and 11p on weekends, and lock the area, so people should not have been in this area. Some hotels in Scottsdale close their pools at 6pm or 7pm!

Regarding your $10 resort fee, it's actually a $17 hotel service fee and includes parking, internet, minibar items, and much more - our neighboring properties charge up to $56/night for parking and $22.95/night for internet, and $4-12 per bottle of water, etc., etc... we try to give guests as much value for this money as possible. Also, even though you pre-paid your room using your discount site, that discount site has three separate areas that mention this fee ahead of time.

End pricing - yes, I know the price you get quoted for things doesn't always end up being the price you pay... I wish we had a value added tax in the US so that pricing expectations were better... a $100 restaurant bill after tax/tip is $131. A $100 car rental at the airport is over $200. And due to the high hospitality taxes in Phoenix, a $100 stay with parking and internet and taxes at a neighboring hotel is $202.69, but here at The Clarendon a $100 stay with parking, internet, taxes, minibar, breakfast, and even a personal training session is just $138.38 - it's just how it is, but hey, The Clarendon lower than a restaurant or rental car or surrounding hotel, and we truly believe we give you more value for your money.

Give us another chance, and I think you'll change your mind!

Ben Bethel
Owner and General Manager
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my second time to The Clarendon and I hope to go back again soon! The service is great. I wasn't thrilled with my first room, only because the window faced a cement wall and was way too dark for me, but they were very willing to get me into a room with more light. The pool is awesome and whatever food we ordered was pretty good so no need to leave. But if you want to leave, you're in central Phoenix ... there are tons of restraunts, bars, shopping, etc nearby. The only "bad" thing was that you could not get happy hour prices at the bar if you were at the pool. Also, the waitress came out 5 minutes before happy hour started to get drink orders, not informing us that happy hour was at 3PM. That part kind of sucked but otherwise, great place.

Room Tip: Not a corner room ... unless you like the dark.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I love this place. It's a small hotel - with cool rooms and a great pool. Oh and my favorite is the rooftop patio. There is nothing like sitting on the roof, having a cocktail and watching the sun go down.

If you happen to go to the roof and the bar isn't set up - then buy a drink in the restaurant downstairs (where they have many amazing mixed drinks) and tell them you are going to the roof so they can put into a plastic cup. You are always allowed to bring your drink to the roof!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
tel aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The atmosphere in the hotel is not like a regular hotel
It feels like you are in a place 40 years ago
Everything in the hotel was good and the price was low
except the air condition that was not enough for Phoenix weather

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We came here as a staycation to attend a Roger Waters concert. I had accidentally booked for the day after we were suppose to stay, and the hotel clerk was more then helpful in changing the reservation. The rooms are new and clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The pool is fantastic.

Gallo Blanco is located in the hotel lobby and has been voted top 50 restaurants in Phoenix for the past 3 years. The drinks and food were amazing. This is definitely our favorite hotel in downtown, and we will be returning soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!