“Hidden Gem in Central Phoenix” 5 of 5 stars

The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 West Clarendon Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013   |
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
New York City, New York
“Hidden Gem in Central Phoenix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I love this place. It's a small hotel - with cool rooms and a great pool. Oh and my favorite is the rooftop patio. There is nothing like sitting on the roof, having a cocktail and watching the sun go down.

If you happen to go to the roof and the bar isn't set up - then buy a drink in the restaurant downstairs (where they have many amazing mixed drinks) and tell them you are going to the roof so they can put into a plastic cup. You are always allowed to bring your drink to the roof!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
tel aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The atmosphere in the hotel is not like a regular hotel
It feels like you are in a place 40 years ago
Everything in the hotel was good and the price was low
except the air condition that was not enough for Phoenix weather

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We came here as a staycation to attend a Roger Waters concert. I had accidentally booked for the day after we were suppose to stay, and the hotel clerk was more then helpful in changing the reservation. The rooms are new and clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The pool is fantastic.

Gallo Blanco is located in the hotel lobby and has been voted top 50 restaurants in Phoenix for the past 3 years. The drinks and food were amazing. This is definitely our favorite hotel in downtown, and we will be returning soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

As other reviewers stated the outside is misleading. We missed the street to turn on because it did not look like a hotel. The staff could not have been any better. They were attentive, explained everything, open for questions and very pleasant. The room was wonderful, large, tastefully decorated and very appealing. The bed was comfortable. Our room was on the 2nd floor facing the pool. It was kind of loud around the pool but calmed down before bedtime. The sky deck is something to enjoy. I really enjoyed the bottled water / Keurig coffee maker in the room. I asked for 4 more pods and were immediately given them by the front desk. Great place to stay. They do charge a 20$ fee but you get breakfast, free wireless and snacks/soft drinks after the restaurant closes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Clarendon Hotel is a revitalized property near the heart of Phoenix that has a lot of great things going for it, and other things are not so great. I'll start with the walk up. The property doesn't look like much from the outside, it's kinda sandwiched in a business district mixed with apartments. There's not a lot of stuff you can walk to from the hotel, although the light rail station is only a couple blocks away so it's pretty easy to catch the train. Once you enter, however, you are greeted with cool lounge music, chic decor, and delightful smells of fresh mexican food, and aromatherapy scents in the lounge area. The front desk staff promptly helped me, and were courteous. Unfortunately, there was a bit of confusion on my reservation, I had booked 1 night and then went back to change it to 2 nights, and it made a second reservation, so when I checked in they had to cancel the other reservation. Unfortunately, my credit card was charged for the other reservation, but I emailed the manager when I got my statement, and he promptly credited the full amount back to my card, so kudos to them for taking care of the problem.

We had a standard room, which was spacious and roomy. The decor in the room is very modern and hip. Unfortunately, all the chocolate black they used for their furnishings needs a little help, a lot of the black is chipping off and shows a lot of signs of wear. I guess that's the difference between Ikea quality furniture and Pottery Barn. I'm not saying they got their furniture from IKEA, but it definitely felt cheap. In addition, the towels were a little worn, as mentioned by other reviewers, but none of my towels had holes in them or anything like other people mentioned. I'm also going to second the reviewers who complained about the air freshener in the room, it was far too over powering and I immediately unplugged it upon entering my room. I left it unplugged the rest of the time. The scent they use in it is not very pleasant or neutral, it does smell like an air freshener rather then a pleasant aromatherapy oil. If you don't like it, you could just call ahead to the hotel and ask them to unplug it for you... Or put it in the notes on your reservation.

The room had a wine fridge in it, a nice touch for us to keep our adult beverages chilled and ready to drink. We also kept the ice bucket in the fridge and it didn't melt too fast. Unfortunately, you do have to go to the front desk down stairs to ask for ice. I'm not sure why they can't just put an ice machine on each floor. Never the less, I did enjoy getting a complimentary snack from the front desk while asking for ice.. The selection is, pretty much, of vending machine quality, i.e. snickers, 3 musketeers, dorritos, etc.

The bed was extremely comfortable and I did get a good nights sleep on it. As other reviewers have mentioned, this is an ADULT hotel, meaning that you will find people coming back from the bar late at night and making room room out in the court yard and the hallway areas. I was awakened a few times by that, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some other reviewers mentioned. I was on the 2nd floor facing the pool on one side of my room and the street on the other side. Most of the noise was just coming from people walking back to their room from the bar, you know how people are when they're drunk, they don't realize there are other people who may be trying to sleep.

For the life of me, I do not understand why other reviewers complained about the AC. I had no problems getting the AC to work in my room, in fact it was already on when I checked in. Then again, I'm a techie guy, so I guess figuring out how to operate the remote for the AC was second nature to me. On the other hand, they do include very detailed instructions in the room for those who can't figure it out.

The pool and hot tub facilities are amazing, very relaxing, and lit up very nicely at night with color changing mood lighting. I really enjoyed soaking in the huge jacuzzi after a long hard day running around Phoenix. I didn't spend nearly as much time as I wanted by the pool, but definitely would if I come back again.

The on-site Mexican restaurant is AMAZING. You'll quickly notice that a LOT of the locals come here for some of the best Mexican food in town. They cook a lot of their meat over a charcoal BBQ pit, which gives the meat a nice smokey flavor that you will quickly become addicted to. It was so good, we ate there 2 nights in a row, and I usually don't eat a hotel restaurants!

Overall, the Clarendon is a nice boutique hotel, if you're planning on spending some time relaxing at the hotel this is a great place to do so. The roof top balcony is really nice too and has great views of the Phoenix sky line. If you're looking for a traditional hotel, this is not the place for you. If you have kids this is also not the place. I would definitely come back again if I happen to be in Phoenix.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I can’t say enough nice things about this hotel. The service is attentive; the rooms are spacious, modern and clean (great bed and nice bathroom). The always buzzing restaurant on the first floor serves tasty Mexican food and great margaritas. The reason for my visit was a trip to the Grand Canyon. I was looking for a relaxed but vibrant place and this hotel was perfect. Upon arrival at Phoenix airport I was told about the light rail. After a short ride on the shuttle bus, there is the tram that takes you through downtown Phoenix and has a stop three blocks away from the hotel. It takes more time than a taxi, but also only costs $1.70.

From the hotel it’s a 3.5hr drive to the Canyon, easy to do in a day. I read about the pool not being all that in a previous review, so I was hesitant to check it out (and be disappointed). The pool and rooftop looked just fine to me and I loved the background music provided in various communal places.

If you are looking for a well priced and vibrant place, this is it. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is my second stay here. I love the modern look of the hotel and rooms. Complimentary bottled water. Nice outdoor pool. Friendly staff. Trendy and happy atmosphere. Staff friendly and helpful. Soft music playing in hotel room upon arrival. Keurig coffee.

I think the place is great.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!