“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Phoenix - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Palomar Phoenix - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Phoenix - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East Jefferson Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004 (Formerly Palomar Phoenix) (Central City)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

First time in a Kimpton property and it was relaxing to say the least. Only spent a brief time there but our waitress, Laya, was very informative and the bellman (?) Rob was Johnny-on-the-spot with our bags and a cab, and a Lumberjack! Our plane was over 2 hours late so we got in after midnight, but slept well in the comfy, long bed, ate a very nice breakfast, and departed for Flagstaff. Will definitely stay in a Kimpton again.

Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Thermopolis, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was so impressed with every aspect of this hotel. The service was EXCEPTIONAL in every way - from the valet parking - the front desk clerk - the bellmen - the waiters and waitresses - everyone was so helpful and kind = SO nice to experience in a world where customer service is going by the wayside. I stayed in one of their suites which was absolutely beautiful - love the decor as well as the layout and the view. I HIGHLY recommend the Blue Hound Restaurant located in the hotel. The food, drinks, and service were beyond excellent. The roof-top pool located on the 2nd floor is beautiful. The location is GREAT in downtown Phoenix. There are many great restaurants in the area, and the comedy club near the hotel was really fun as well. I can't wait to stay there again and HIGHLY recommend this property to both business and leisure travelers!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I haven't stayed in a Plimpton property, but after staying here I will keep my out for them. Room was spacious, modern, and comfortable. All of the staff I interacted with were very hospitable and friendly. The shower/tub was the nicest I have have ever seen.

Stayed May 2013
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel just does it right, from the updated simple modern elegant decor, to the service, to the food and the location.

The valet staff, doormen and bell desk staff are incredible - quick to get your car, open your doors, load/unload your bags, address you by name, ask you how your day is going, etc.... They remembered our name each time we came in the front door!

The lobby is nothing special really, a little spartan, but not in a bad way. Front desk staff are super friendly and helpful in a casual yet businesslike way. They have brand new bikes in the lobby that you can borrow to ride around town if you want!

The second floor is where the real "lobby" is if you are looking for a place to hang out, relax, sit down and wait to meet up with people, etc... That is where the bar and restaurant is, plus it opens out to the second level of part of CityScape and the Gold's Gym that you have access to as a hotel guest. We did visit the gym and it is brand new and super nice and the front desk there welcomes you as they would welcome any of their local members. I did one of the group exercise classes and it was terrific.

The third floor is the large outdoor patio, bar and pool with chaise lounges and cabanas. The pool is definitely not large but the area is attractive and the cabanas are comfy. If you want to sit in the sun make sure you do it in the AM - our teen daughter wanted to try to tan but her schedule was such that she could only get up there after 2:30pm and she got about 6 minutes of sun before the entire patio was covered in shade. Bar wait staff was super nice!

Rooms are spacious with tasteful modern decor and the bathroom was well equipped. One tiny complaint - there are only 2 small drawers in the dresser/credenza that shares space with the mini bar, so if you have a lot of clothes to put away you really won't be able to. In-room Wifi is FREE if you are a Kimpton member, so worth joining just for that. The beds are SOOOOOO comfy, I literally did not want to get up!

Location is incredible - closest hotel possible to the 2 big downtown sports venues. Right in the middle of CityScape. 2 blocks from the Convention Center. 1 1/2 blocks from the Symphony Hall where we went to see the Arizona Ballet. Tons of restaurants around, although some of them clearly cater to weekday downtown business folks as they were not open Sat/Sun. Airport was literally 10-15 mins away tops.

Blue Hound Kitchen is the hotel restaurant - will review separately but it was great!

The only negative thing I can really say is that there is construction going on - they are adding additional floors on top of the hotel. On Friday the noise was pretty noticeable and did affect our peace and quiet in the room and at the pool, however there wasn't any work going on Sat or Sun and it was nice and quiet. If you really need quiet during the daytime Mon-Fri then wait until the project is finished, otherwise it's not that big of a deal. I noticed they did put earplugs on the nightstand, not sure if this is standard practice or for the construction.

I will absolutely stay here again if/when I return to Phoenix and need to stay downtown!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was great. My family enjoyed their stay. The hotel hospitality was phenomenal. Everyone was helpful and eager to assist. The service was quick and the hotel was spotless. I highly recommend this hotel. The only thing is it was expensive and everything cost. Parking was $27 a day and I had to pay for Internet. Nothing is free or inclusive. However, I'm glad I picked this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

As an Inner Circle member, I was looking forward to our weekend getaway at this Kimpton. It is only one of two newly built Kimptons, I think, as their properties are usually renovated from other hotels.

Check in was with Jay, truly a star at this hotel. He was very cheerful and helpful and did everything possible to find us a quiet room to minimize the ever present construction noise. We looked at several rooms on different floors and he was patient and accommodating
The rooms are extremely nice and modern, with a large bathroom, and decent lighting for reading.

The pool area is small, but wasn't busy during our weekend stay. Probably not enough seating, only about ten lounge chairs and three wonderful cabanas, so if you are here during busy times, it might be difficult to find space.

Everyone we met on staff was very friendly, especially Edwin, with his dining recommendations, and Charlie, a bellman.
Only two minor disappointments: (1) despite emailing the front office manager with a request for a quiet room, I never got a reply, nor was any such room pre blocked for us prior to check in. (2) one of the two queen beds in our room had unclean linen when we first got to the room, requiring housekeeping to come up and replace the linen. It was promptly taken care of when we called them, but it shouldn't have happened at all.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our 5-night stay here. I don't have any major negative things to say about this hotel except for two minor wrinkles, and I would start with those: left the room for lunch and a walk around downtown Phoenix (about 5 hours) and when I came back the room wasn't cleaned yet, was just about to take a nap when it was finally ready to be cleaned. The pillows were also a little too soft for my taste. Except for those, everything was great.

We had a corner room with enough space and a view of the streets and the cityscape below. Room was clean and furnished modernly. The lobby, second floor lounge area, the pool and the pool's bar area were clean, nicely furnished and inviting. I did spend sometime by the pool, it wasn't crowded and was relaxing- almost the whole area for tanning loses the sun by 2:30 pm though (the hotel itself blocks the sun and shades the pool), so if you'd like to tan, get there late morning. Check- in and out were friendly and efficient, the valet and door men were also helpful and friendly. On the day of our check-out, one of the doormen recommended some hikes in Sedona (we headed to Sedona after Phoenix), his recommendations were spot-on, and he was very nice and friendly. We tried the restaurant as well, the food and service were great.

Gold's Gym was just a few steps away and hotel guests get a free entrance- it's a great gym. The hotel sits in CityScape- an area with restaurants and entertainment, we tried almost all the restaurants in the surrounding area, The Breakfast Club next door is excellent for breakfasts(!) and lunch, and also The Arrogant Butcher for dinner. The hotel is located conveniently if you'd like to walk around downtown and the historic district, the busses and tram are also just a few steps away. I took the bus to the zoo, one of the better zoos I've been to.

I highly recommend this hotel; one of our positive experiences in Phoenix.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Phoenix - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Palomar Phoenix. I love hearing about how you took advantage of all our hotel and location has to offer. CityScape is amazing and give our guest so many fun, different, cool options not to mention the easy access to the lightrail that can take you pretty much anywhere in the city.
Thank you for sharing....... I hope you will come back and visit us again soon.
We appreciate your business

Jim Hollister

Been to Hotel Palomar Phoenix - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!