“good neighborhood Que” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Chicago, Illinois
“good neighborhood Que”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

on an extended vacation and needed some normal family fare. Found this and reviews looked good so we headed out. Nothing fancy about the decor, but that isn't why you are here. Solid domestic beers on tap, and a full range of bar b que menu items. Service was swift and pleasant. the meats were all great and the sides ranged from good to as good as it gets.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Claremont, California
“"Down Home Experience"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Forget about the outside. The inside is roomy and welcoming. Large dining room with a separate bar --- which is always nice for diners. Portions are very large, sides are unusually interesting and the hushpuppies are some of the best we have ever had. Prices are very reasonable and many entrees can easily be split. Although we didn't have any with us, it is a great place for families with children. We'll definitely be back the next time we're in the Phoenix area.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cotopaxi, Colorado
“A good local BBQ place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I am continuing to write about local restaurants that travellers should know about. While chains serve their purpose, I want to offer travellers more options. The most important thing about my review is that we used a restaurant.com certificate. The second is that we went for lunch, we had been here for dinner. Also, on the weekends, there is live music so there is a completely different ambiance. For travellers, all Arizona restaurants are non-smoking so the only thing you will smell is the food.

For locals, this restaurant was opened by one of owners of the Notorious P.I.G. in Desert Ridge, which we visited when it was still open. The owner is on the premisis so things run smoothly. We had great service. While the P.I.G looked upscale, the Hammered Hog décor is much more rustic. The location it is in a strip mall in a fairly old building. If you like ambiance with your food, this is not the place to go (which is why romance wasn’t checked).

The food is pretty straight forward to order. Brisket, chicken, pork and catfish with a choice of side. I got the brisket with hush puppies. My wife got the pork sandwich with mac and cheese. We enjoyed both. They also offer: ribs, a lot of appetizers and salads but we did not get them. Barbeque places are very personal so I am giving you my thoughts. The meat was fresh and tender. The owner said that it takes three days to cook the food, which shows. I like the sauce, a little sweet and not vinegary. For dessert, we had the oreo balls, which I recommend. It is a solid four stars, with fifth for the coupon. We will be returning.

• Visited July 2011