“After 10 years still a top notch property.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix

You added JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix to your Saves list
JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5350 E Marriott Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85054 (Desert Ridge)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #9 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Foothill Ranch, California, United States
“After 10 years still a top notch property.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just finished a weeklong conference at the JW Desert ridge. My stay was top notch from the initial greeting at valet to front desk check in and assistance to my room. The staff at the Desert ridge are proud of their property and reflect that in their service. This is a wonderful full service resort and it has everything you would need so leaving the property for anything is not necessary. The rooms are very nice and clean and the bathrooms at oversized. The hotel is very family friendly with many activities for children. Many pools to suit different wants and generally not overcrowded (except the lazy river) The property is very large so it never felt busy even though sold out when I stayed. If the opportunity arises, I will definitely return.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pools will actually have the longest walk to it. Pool acces has been changed...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I’m not one of the people that give places a perfect 100%--there’s always something to work on. But the word that my fiancé used to describe this place is “perfect”, and I couldn’t agree more.

We checked in Friday afternoon, and we were immediately approached by the bellman, Mark, who offered to help us with our luggage. He accompanied us to the front desk and waited while we checked in. Now, I had planned this trip to not only get away with my fiancé for a few days but also to propose to her. I was extremely nervous, and I really had no idea how I was going to handle it. Upon check-in, the front desk supervisor, Mike Dolan, greeted me and immediately calmed my nerves by telling me that they were aware of what I was doing there, and that I shouldn’t worry about anything. He was extremely helpful in answering all of my questions and making sure I was well taken care of. There were even a few times during my trip that I came down, freaking out about proposing, and he was always there to provide a friendly smile and a few helpful words.

After check-in, my fiancé and I were escorted to our room by Mark. When we arrived, he asked if we had ever been to the resort before, and of course we said no. Mark then accompanied us into our room and took the extra time to show us around—showing us where we could find things in the room and on the floor we were staying on. He was so polite and helpful, all the while calling us “sir” and “ma’am”, even though we were clearly younger than him.

It was a lovely check-in experience. The lobby was beautiful, and the staff was so helpful. The room, we discovered later, was a junior executive suite. It was bigger than my apartment! The bathroom had a wonderful massage shower, which was separate from the bathtub at the base of the back wall. There were his and her sinks with lotions and the most amazing-smelling shampoos and conditioners. The bedroom itself was huge, with a couch, huge king bed with the most comfortable pillows I have ever felt, and our own bar area. The front desk assistant manager, Nikki Mitchell, took the liberty of upgrading us because she saw why we were there and wanted to treat us to a beautiful and memorable experience. That mission was definitely accomplished.

Saturday, after breakfast in bed, we visited the lazy river, which was a giant circle around the pool area, and it was amazing. We floated on inner tubes for two hours, just enjoying the cool pool and the families that were there having fun. There is a taco bar right next to the river with several other pools surrounding and ample tanning/seating on either side. We also visited the gym in the spa, and it was phenomenal. The locker room attendants were very nice and told us exactly where to go and where to get water/towels/headphones/etc. I booked a one hour massage for my fiancé before dinner that evening, and she was blown away by it. It left her so relaxed and feeling nearly euphoric. She said she didn’t have a care in the world after that.

We met our 7pm reservations at the Ristorante Tuscany, which is at the bottom of a beautiful spiral staircase at the end of the lobby. The hostess seated us right away, and I recognized her to be the restaurant manager, Jody Daniel. I had been introduced to Jody during one of my “nervous episodes”, and she assured me that everything that night was going to be perfect. She sat us in a semi-private area with a beautiful backdrop—ironically the backdrop was an island where people often hold their marriage ceremonies. We ordered and ate the most wonderful meal. After our meal, I got down on one knee and proposed, and my fiancé accepted. After the event, Jody and her staff brought out champagne and a beautiful plate of truffles and chocolate covered strawberries. It was very romantic.

The only downside was that we had to check-out the next day and get back to reality. We had a beautiful experience that will always hold a special place in our hearts, and it was mainly because of the kindness, customer service, and overall commitment to guest satisfaction that was displayed by Michael, Mark, Jody, and Nikki. They went out of their way to take ownership of our stay and make sure that it was not just memorable—it was perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have stayed at many of the local resorts, since we live here. We always run into various problems at each resort. We work very very hard, like most... And, if we have a couple of days off we do a staycation. I have to say, our stay was PERFECT. Before this stay, we are always ready to deal with some kind of problem, with staff, service, food or whatever. From check in until check out. Everything was smooth. I don't write many reviews. But, I checked out today and really wanted to give this resort the best kind of thanks ( a positive review). Rooms were lovely, room service was perfect, spa was great, pool was great. I think Roy's needs to have a better trained staff. Our dinner service was really bad. But, WHOEVER is in charge of training the staff at the resort should deserve an award. Its all in the training. GOOD JOB TO ALL OF THE STAFF AT THE MARRIOTT! Thank you, we can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Pick room 4205 and you will be suprised at how beautiful it is!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've stayed at many Marriotts and this is of very high quality. It quite literally is in the middle of nowhere in terms of being at the end of Desert Ridge next to desert. But as long as you are okay with being a bit isolated from Scottsdale/downtown Phoenix then you'll likely love it here.

The resort is beautiful, from the entrance grounds, to the large two level lobby, to the spa and gym, and the fantastic pool area. We had two connecting rooms with a front view. Altho a pool view would have been better, we liked not having the hot sun in the morning. IMO either view is just fine.

The grounds are really nice, and really do help you relax and sort of sink into the atmosphere. We really enjoyed sitting outside the lobby area overlooking the small water area. Comfy chairs and shade late in the day with a drink was very relaxing. We didn't eat at the main restaurants while were there so I can't comment on those.

The gym was very nice, altho I was disappointed that the steam room wasn't working while we were there.....oh well. But the pools were the best part for us. We found great shade under a big tree to plant ourselves for one day, and just relaxed and enjoyed the lazy river and the other pools.....very nice time. We ordered food/drinks from the pool bar a couple of times and weren't disappointed in the food or service.

Yes it's expensive (I'm always a little surprised when someone complains about this), but it's typically priced for a Marriott resort/spa. Should it be cheaper.....probably. But it's not, so if you are going to go here, or anyplace like this, just know it's not going to be cheap. It will really make your time much more enjoyable if you accept this and either spend the money or don't based on how much it costs. It's just the way it is.....

You are about 20 mins from downtown Scottsdale in this location, and maybe a bit further from downtown Phoenix. We found traffic to be a little tough around rush hour despite feeling like we were so far removed....

Room Tip: I'd opt for getting the room you like versus getting the view you like here. Or, if you want mor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Every year we stay at this hotel for a nice little get away close to home. The rooms as usual were fantastic; very clean with comfortable beds and pillows. The resort is always beautiful with flowering plants. Please go with your sense of humor if you spend time at the lazy river. People are very rude and keep the swim tubes by their chairs. The Marriott staff did nothing about this (even when a lady had 5 tubes pulled up next to her chair on the side of the pool and wouldn't give them to people who asked to use them.) We had dinner at the sushi bar which I wouldn't do again. The service was horrible and very frustrating. The wait staff stood around talking while our glasses were empty and they brought our endamame with our meal which took over 30 minutes to deliver. There were very few people ordering sushi so the wait was unjustified. Lastly beware of the line at Starbucks. It was out the door at 8 am Sunday morning so we bought coffee and yogurt parfaits at the pastry shop next to the Blue Sage. The parfaits were over priced and very low quality; next time we'll wait at Starbucks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel is nice but it is big. I had a long walk to my room from the elevator. I also had a long walk to the self park. It was the last weekend of the busy season in June and it was crowded. The lazy rtiver was so congested one could not enjoy it properly. Although they are highly efficient in bringing drinks/food and picking up garbage there is no control over people standing around in groups in the river. Thus when you you are meandering down and bump into them they get offended spilling their drinks. There should be staff telling people not to congragate in large groups in the river because it defeats the concept of meandering down the lazy river. Also, there is no control over handing out/returning the innner tubes so if you show up later in the day then you are out of luck.
Access to the pool was by one gate and you needed to be wristbanded that was okay but the pool closed at 1000pm and it did not open before 0700. I have stayed at other Phoenix area hotels and their pools stayed open all the time. I saw beautiful pictures of the pool but could not replicate them.
There are four restraunts. Roy's is nice but there was no vegitarian fare and it was exspensive. The other restraunt - Tuscany was closed on the Sunday. The Blue Sage closed at 9:00pm. We arrived back from the Grand Canyon at 9:00pm and had only two choices for meals, Roy's or the room service menu. A hamburger on the night room service menu was 25.00 .
The staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was there for a conference and found the staff,the hotel,the grounds and the food to be of superior quality. Lushly surrounded by desert flora n fauna,the mountains in the background, make for a pleasing view when relaxing on your private balcony. Dinner at a Roy's on property is a plus. The professional and courteous staff made the work end of my visit smooth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix? Share your experiences!