“Beautiful resort / outstanding customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix

You added JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix to your Saves list
JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5350 E Marriott Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85054 (Desert Ridge)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Dana Point, California
“Beautiful resort / outstanding customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend of spring training. It is a beautiful location, feels almost tropical in the setting. Customer service was outstanding. Before we even realized there was a problem with our request for an ADA room the hospitality coordinator had fixed it. Steve was very gracious in meeting our needs. My daughter has special needs and he was very understanding of our family's comfort.
I cannot say more about the professionalism, and kindness of Steve Smigosky.

We ate at Roy's for dinner expensive but well worth it.
Food was delicious and service excellent.

Only down side was the pool was a little cool for my personal comfort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Villanova, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and 11 year old daughter stayed at the Desert Ridge over Memorial Day weekend and had a wonderful experience. The rooms are luxurious, the grounds are impecably maintained and the pool and lazy river are beyong relaxing. The staff is well-trained and professional, and every encounter with an employee during our stay was a positive one. We had dinner at Roy's -- the resort's Hawaiian themed restaurant -- and our meal was outstanding. All in all, I recommend it to anyone looking for a place to relax and enjoy for a couple days in an amenity-filled environment with incredibly scenic views. This was my second stay at the resort and we will return!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We used the Travelzoo $149 rate with $100 in resort credit. The hotel is very large similar to a Las Vegas casino property. The pool area is spectacular with a lazy river and many other options. We enjoyed the taco's for lunch and they were fantastic. I would highly recommend. We had dinner at the Meritage Steakhouse which was wonderful. The hotel has a very nice looking Italian restaurant and Roy's Hawaiian. We enjoyed the spa on Sunday. If you are a Marriott Elite member the admission is free to use the facilities. A fun long weekend even in the 108 degree heat.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I was in a wedding at this hotel and flew in a few days early because of huge time differences from where I live. I enjoyed every moment of being in this hotel - both on my own and then with the wedding party. The room was a typical JW room, but the grounds, restaurants, bars, service really make this hotel. The lazy river was a perfect activity for adults and kids. Just across the street is the Desert Ridge Marketplace, complete with a Target, restaurants, etc. And the staff who coordinated and helped with the wedding couldn't have been better. A truly enjoyable experience.

• Stayed February 2013
SE Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My family and I made our first trip to this hotel shortly after it opened nine years ago. It's hard to believe it has been so long. The hotel itself still gleams as though it was brand new. The spa and fitness centers (there are two on property) are better than I remember. The Blue Sage restaurant still has amazing huevos rancheros (the best I have ever eaten), the Meritage Steakhouse has terrific steaks that could be delivered via forklift, and the Vista Lounge now offers a sushi bar, open every afternoon and evening.

So why only a "4" rating and not a "5" from me? The pools are amazing, but the water slide could be upgraded for a slightly older (i.e. not pre-school) crowd. And, while the rooms are well-appointed and the bathrooms are first rate, I would have expected two queen beds in the rooms instead of smaller double beds. For a family of four, it's a bit cramped, and it affects sleep quality considerably.

This was the first of many JW Marriott hotels in which I have now stayed. It remains among my favorites and I am definitely looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pools or golf course.
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is my first time at a JW Marriott. It's a beautiful resort with classy interior decor. The lobby is beautiful and the grounds are exquisite. The pools (multiple) cover a large part of the complex. There are a few different pools, all small but tucked away from each other, so it feels cozy and not crowded. The lazy river looks fun, although I didn't try it. There are multiple restaurants to choose from, ranging from high end to laid back, although the prices at any of them were over-priced, but typical for a resort. The staff were all friendly and helpful. I liked the separate tub and shower setup in the bathroom. Each room has a balcony looking over some beautifully kept landscape. A few things I didn't like - the carpet in the room is variegated and after awhile started irritating my bare feet; the door to the bathroom is really inconeniently placed; the sink has very little counter space, especially for two people; the couch in our room was stained and felt dirty because of that; the chair was uncomfortable to the point of not even being able to sit in it, the couch was better, but not for long periods of time; the air conditioner made a clunking sound every time it came on (and with 100+ degree days, it came on a lot!), which was irritating, especially during the night; and the internet charge was $12.95 per day. That's ridiculous considering you're paying $300+ per night to stay there, plus $10 per day to park your car. Even places like Days Inn give you free parking and internet (not to mention free breakfast!). Overall, it was an enjoyable stay and the things that bothered me were minor compared to the enjoyment of the complex. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The things we loved about our stay were the early check in with yummy cookies. We loved the three pools, including the lazy river. We loved the restaurants, especially The Meritage as well as the delicious drinks by the pool. We loved the friendly people we saw everywhere.
The things that need to be improved upon are the lack of a coffee pot in the rooms. At this price point it's the least I expect. The use of double beds is somewhat ridiculous at this price point as well. I didn't see an actual swimming pool, all the pools are under 4 feet. I didn't ask about this though so it's possible that it is located somewhere else.
There really is no reason to leave the resort, everything is provided for you. It's very beautiful, well maintained and grand.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix? Share your experiences!