“Very Kid Friendly - maybe too much?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix

You added JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix to your Saves list
JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5350 E Marriott Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85054 (Desert Ridge)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very Kid Friendly - maybe too much?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I spend a weekend in one of the Scottsdale resorts about once every few months. This March, we decided to try the JW Desert Ridge. Most of the reviewers hit the nail on the head around the service. Awesome service at every turn. When comparing to other resorts in the area, however, I would not rank the Desert Ridge in my top 3. We had a miscue about the room reservation and the LPGA tournament was going on so we were happy to get a room. However, we had a room overlooking the front entry circle...not a great view. By reading some of these reviews, I thought there were no "bad" rooms to speak of but definitely want a room on the back side of the hotel. If you have young kids, this is definitely the place to go. Desert Ridge definitely caters to that young crowd with the Lazy River and such. However, as two adults wanting an "escape" the kid scene would not be my choice. We even had to wear wrist bands by the pool on the weekend...guess it is because people just show up at the hotel with kids to play in the pools. That was a bit weird to me.

Otherwise, the setting in the evenings is lovely with music and outdoor heaters and such. We ate at the Italian restaurant one night and had a good pizza. Didn't try the other restaurants other than Sunday brunch and that is your typical great Marriott breakfast buffet.

Netting it out...if you have kids, this is the place to be. If not, you may want to choose one of the other fine Scottsdale resorts.

Room Tip: Definitely want a room on the back side facing the pools and the mountains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

From the room, to the food (Spa Bistro and Roy's), to the complimentary workout/sauna, the availability of golf practice facilities, the amazing Faldo and Palmer courses within walking distance, to the Starbucks. Not to mention the pools and lazy river. Wow, what a great property. Service at the front desk, valet and housekeeping were all fantastic. Note: breakfast at the Spa Bistro is quiet and delicious, one of the best kept secrets on this property. We also noted that during Celebrity Fight Night, cars and celebrities were handled with ease.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
La Canada Flintridge, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I attended a conference here recently and was pleased generally with the accomodations. This is a very large hotel, with long hallways to get to the elevator. Rooms were clean and modern, as is the bathroom. The conference room floor is big and airy. The outdoor patio restaurant served decently good food and drinks, and the service was adequate. The pool area is impressive looking, although I did not go in. Room service attendants were polite and the food was good. Valets in the front were also helpful.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Breckenridge, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel was fantastic! I visited for a girls weekend. It is beautiful and clean. The staff is very present and polite. We enjoyed visiting in the lobby bar and hanging by pool and fire. I love that there was always live music; by the pool, dinner, happy hour. It was a nice addition the added to our enjoyment of the weekend. At the pool there is a yummy taco cart with authentic tortillas. The grounds are nice and includes a lazy river and small water slide. One thing that surprised my about visiting here was how kid friendly it is. Lots of activities to include kids and many kids all around, in a good way. Prior to this visit I would t have brought my kids and now look forward to planning a return. We did visit the spa, low key yoga class, enjoyed steam room and a massage. The spa facilities were very nice with jacuzzi quiet area steam and sauna. We did not use the spa pool.

• Stayed March 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

First let me state that I have stayed at this location many times both for pleasure and on business. Irritating at times due too the crowds attending conferences but a nice property. I am also a Platinum Premier member having stayed at Marriott locations world wide for near 1500 nights. I am currently staying at this property on a quiet getaway originally booked for four nights. Today when checking in I was told I had an upgraded room overlooking the pool. No view, noise, kids everywhere and not conducive to a quiet weekend. I requested another room, upgraded based on my Marriott status. I was told there was a quiet upgraded room with a view available in the conference wing. My wife and I hiked to the room and had a lovely view of of an outside function being set up. By the way a standard Marriott King room that you can reserve all over the world. I was told when I called the front desk inquiring where was the upgrade it became clear that it was based on the view. Sorry sorry sorry when I expressed my displeasure. I now am writing this with a band blaring below us and smokers on the balcony below. My wife and I are checking out Friday two days ahead of schedule and moving to Camelback who graciously have confirmed a quiet upgraded suite without the band and front desk BS at a significantly higher rate. It will be well worth it as this place is chaos. Having stayed at Camelback many times prior we know what to expect. First class service and a relaxing atmosphere. Desert Ridge does not cater to couples without kids. It is a conference hotel on a beautiful property and nothing more unless you hit the right week. Don't expect to be catered to as at Camelback or other quality Marriott resorts. Never again will we stay here unless forced to as a conference attendee. For our inconvenience 5000 points were deposited in my account and a hastily scribbled note by the Assistant Mgr. apologizing. Upon checking out I met her and had her remove the points. For whatever reason they don't get the meaning of customer service.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just left the JW Marriott a few hours ago and am still fuming. The property and rooms are very nice, as expected. The problems I experienced were regarding the large pool and play area behind the main building. This is one of their main selling points and the reason many families visit. I finished playing in the pool with my family and we went to get dressed. My shoes were missing from where I left them, which prompted us to look everywhere. It was dark by then and I couldn't locate them. While walking from one pool to the next, there was a stretch that should have been lighted but they didn't change the light bulbs. I fell and ripped open both knees and my hand. I limped back to my room without my shoes. I called the front desk to talk to the manager. They must have the new/novice managers work at night. He said he would have someone look for my shoes and offered to waive the $25 resort fee for my inconvenience??? The next morning, they still hadn't found my shoes. I went back to the pool the next morning and was able to easily locate them myself (which leads me to believe they never looked for them). Coincidentally, six lights along the walkway had been marked by maintenance for replacement. At checkout, I brought this to the front desk's attention. I was told a manager wasn't available. I found one walking in the lobby and told him my story. He offered me 10,000 Marriott points. What a joke. After that, I just took the family and left before anything else bad happened. If you value your family's safety, I would not stay here! In addition, if you have a problem, you can never find anyone with the authority to make it right (due to over 1000 employees working at this property). Only thing to do now is call my lawyer.

Room Tip: View of pool is best.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was our first visit to the JW Marriott Desert Ridge and we weren't disappointed. The property is in perfect condition with a great location (it's basically Scottsdale) and every employee was very personable especially the front desk staff. Even the hotel operator was patient, caring and enthusiastic when I inquired about the spa services --- she went above and beyond what I anticipated. That's really the theme here: the resort experience is above and beyond what one might expect.

I can't think of anything we didn't like other than the extra long walk to the self parking lot. However, the grounds are so well cared for it makes the journey enjoyable. I'm sure if it was mid-summer I would have opted for valet parking.

One thing: the room air conditioner works great but if you don't want it blowing directly on you while sleeping, bring something like a manila folder w/ clothespins to direct the air away. I wish every hotel had a built-in air deflector (like I have at home).

Having stayed at many hotels all around the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for our annual trek to Spring Training, this place is now our favorite. Two thumbs up! Plus, it's a Priceline hotel so that makes it even better.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the front entrance area and it wasn't that noisy with the cars or valet. We...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix? Share your experiences!