“Great Resort, but can be taken over by conferences” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix to your Saves list
JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5350 E Marriott Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85054 (Desert Ridge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$100 Nightly Credit
Ranked #10 of 175 hotels in Phoenix
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Resort, but can be taken over by conferences”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here in January with my Family, and had some issues at check-in. I was working, in Phoenix, so my wife, son, daughter and nanny checked-in to the hotel without me. I am a Platinum member with Marriott, and have been acustomed to outstanding service, especially with the JW brand. My wife was treated with a bit of discontent by the front desk person, who could not find our two reservations. She had him call me, and I gave him the confirmation numbers and he found it and said, "oh, I see it now under Michael, not Mike". Seriously?? So while he was making her feel like she was putting him out, she was waiting in the lobby with my two kids trying to get to a room to take a nap. When she asked them to point out the kids play area that was advertised on their website, she was informed that the kids area was closed due to low occupancy. The hotel was not empty, but it was overtaken by a conference, to the point where all the signage was from the company, and it was hard to tell that it was even a JW Marriott. When I arrived, I asked my wife if she chose the extra miles at check-in (The Platinum gift), and she stated that they did not say anything about it. She also told me about the kids area. I then called the front desk to ask them about our second room, and to inform them that I was unhappy about the kids center (we should have been informed before our visit), and the way that the check-in process went. I was told that a manager would call me right back. After 30-minutes, I went to the front desk and spoke to the Front Desk Manager (I lost his card, so I don't have his name), and he could not have been more cordial, consolatory and helpful! He took over and upgraded our room to give us more space for our kids, since the center was closed, he arranged for the daily kids activities to be provided (on a one on one basis with my son, as he was the only participant), and sent Champagne up to my wife and I, since we were there for our Anniversary (which I stated when I made my reservation). All in all he made what started out as a terrible experience into a wonderful time. About the resort, it is large, and has some fantastic restaurants. The main highlight of the resort is the pool. Even though we were unfortunate enough to be in Arizona on the coldest day in 10 years (50 degrees), the water was kept at 82-85 degrees, and was surprisingly pleasant. The spa was nice, and had a private pool area that was quite enjoyable. The fitness room is nice, and could use a little updating, but it provides everything you need.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

1,350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Lincoln, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This resort is incredible! It is a touch on the large side but the place is spotless and the grounds are amazing. I needed to use the ATM for cash but it was out of order. An employee took me to their ATM located behind the scenes near their time clock. Great service! I'd definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2013
Warsaw, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a handful of days with a company sales meeting. The property is beautiful with palm trees and outdoor restaurants and pools. Went for a run around the property and enjoyed the scenery. The hotel had a few restaurants. Roy's is exceptional. Get the butter fish! The Cafe is alright for the price but had nothing exceptional on the menu. If you want to try a local brew, ask for the Kiltlifter.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This property is beautiful and not far from the airport but seems like it is far from the city. The inside of the lobby atrium is grand. The outside grounds are unbelievable and produce a relaxing environment.

• Stayed January 2013
Victoria, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

You get what You pay for !This is a Jewel in the Arizona Dessert near Scottsdale. Everything is first class. Our room overlooked the "Lazy River'' with Water Fall. Their are Dessert Bunnies hopping around the Grounds . You don`t see that any where else! The Restaurant on the Hotel Property is very good. The Golf Course is nice. Near by is Scottsdale with its great shops and Restaurants. If you like to go Four Wheeling in the Dessert, there are guided tours. We had fun doing that. We took a Tour to the famuos Architects Home, Frank Loyd Wright ! There is a lot to do and see .We went there about five years ago in March on Business.

Room Tip: In a Hotel like that, it doesnt matter what Room you pick. It is quiet and elegant!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Andover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Spent a week attending my company's annual summit, Service and facilities were very good. Everything was presented very well. Not sure how healthy it is to have sparrows fly around areas where people eat though.

Little bit disappointed that a later check out couldn't be accommodated given the amount of money my company had spent with the hotel during the week. I had a 9.00pm flight and check out time was 12.00pm. To fill the time we played around a golf and showered and changed at the sauna which they wanted to charge for.

Room Tip: Keep away from the bar and pool areas if there is a conference on.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge for a week for business. Overall the stay was excellent. The property and public spaces are beautiful, and my room overlooking the pool was very comfortable. The service the staff provides is absolutely impeccable and I always felt welcome. I would definitely stay here again.

I would, however, give this property a couple of "dings":
1) My shower wasn't cleaned properly. Even on the day I checked in, the glass shower door was full of dried water spots and the grout had turned black in a few places. My shower door wasn't ever squeegeed off during my week-long stay. (If there was a squeegee in the bathroom I would do it myself!)
2) I was there with a very large group (1,400 people) and the quality of the food was a little bit inconsistent. My perception was that when we had buffet meals where there were lots of food options, the quality was very high. But when it was a large, plated, sit-down meal where everyone was served the same meal the quality was a bit lower.

Still -- these weren't significant enough to warrant a rating of lower than 5, considering all the other positives.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix? Share your experiences!