“Fun place for a quick meal” 4 of 5 stars

4306 N 7th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85013-2903
602-274-0079
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Eclectic
Description: This one and Two Hippies Dropped Out of College and Opened a Pizzeria. Busy counter, walls plastered with 60's nostalgia. Order up with your own ingredients, varied breakfast and lunch menus. Leave happy.
West Lafayette, IN
“Fun place for a quick meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Trying to find a place to kill some time on a Sunday mid-morning and get a meal before heading to the airport, my family stumbled across the Two Hippies Breakfast Joint. As we drove by, my husband commented hat it must be pretty good as there were several cars in the parking lot. We ended turning around after a mile and driving back. As soon as we walked inside, we knew that this was our kind of place...the quirky and unpretentious the better. It worked nicely for us that breakfast and burgers were offered all day, as that at 10:45 am we were trying to decide whether to go for a big late breakfast or early substantial lunch as that would be our meal until early evening....the breakfast and burgers would do nicely. In the end though, we opted for sandwiches. The pastrami sounded great, but decided a quesadilla might be better to travel on, and then wound up ordering the chicken taco and it was fantastic. It was loaded with beans, chicken, rice, cabbage vs lettuce (OK by me), tomato and cheese served on a soft tortilla. I had guacamole on the side, which was more of a processed variety but I'm a sucker for any guacamole that isn't heavy on the cilantro. The seemingly home made salsa on the side was refreshingly good. I would describe it as more like a gazpacho with some southwest seasoning. When placing my order I was asked "You only want one...?" I would have loved to have had more, but that single taco filled be up so that I couldn't even imagine comfortably eating a second. My husband had the blackened burger with fries and enjoyed it. (He's not much of talker...didn't give much more detail other than he'd order it again.) All was served hot and quickly. Saw a sign for a Hippie Brownie, but was afraid to order one! I don't know that I'll be back in the Phoenix area, but as I've learned that there are other "hippie joints" if I go I'll be on the lookout.

Being a "boomer" that was a pre-teen during the height of the hippie years, I got a nostalgic kick out the decor.

• Visited January 2012