“Great Place to Stay in Phoenix” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Phoenix Downtown

Save Saved
You added Westin Phoenix Downtown to your Saves list
Westin Phoenix Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85004 (Central City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 176 hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersGold level
Independence, Missouri, United States
“Great Place to Stay in Phoenix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Westin Downtown is a lovely hotel with large rooms, comfortable beds and a great location. My only complaint is that the inroom internet didn't work at all one night. Not a deal breaker, just inconvenient. The staff is really top-notch...very friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend staying here if you want a great location, great staff and great room.

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Phoenix at hotel and it was in the city of Phoenix although there was alot around the overall area was not the greatest. Upon arriving we chose to valet park our car but BEWARE you will be CHARGED $28.00 PER DAY to keep you car in THEIR LOT. We were not very pleased having to pay to valet park our vehicle. Should you choose not to valet there is a parking lot Diagonal to the rear of hotel across and half way down street from hotel that you will also PAY FOR. I have never paid to park in any hotel I have ever stayed in especially since I paid quite a bit of money for my room at this hotel. The first nite we ordered room service and got pizza n salad. The salad was good and a decent size portion the pizza, however, well that wasnt so great. Their in room service menu was limited. We did however have a great breakfast at IHOP. Remember not to tip if you order room service, unless you feel you want to, they include 20% in their charges that they split between the employees. Remember to read the fine print. Overall our stay
was nice but I don't think we will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
bdellergo, Director of Operations at Westin Phoenix Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Michele3199,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your thoughts with respect to the pricing of valet parking and room service. We do evaluate feedback from our guests constantly and ensure we are competitively priced against similar hotels in the downtown area.

We will certainly take your feedback under consideration and appreciate you sharing it with us. If there is anything further that we could do to re-earn your business next time you are in Phoenix, please email me at OnlineReviewsWestinPhoenix@westin.com

Respectfully,

East Islip, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I just stayed at the Westin Phoenix Downtown for a business conference, I was there for 2 nights. I found the reception staff very welcoming and efficient, but I wish they had explained the lighting situation in the guest rooms - you need 2 card keys, because you need to put 1 in the light slot to keep the lights on! If you don't do this, the lights go out after 5 minutes. The rooms at the Westin are huge, very comfortable, and the showers are GREAT. They also offer in-room, empty fridges which are vital to keeping items cool in Phoenix, thank you for that touch! Room service is very fast and very cheerful. On the negative side: The lobby is rather strange, because you have to walk around blind corners 3 times to get to the elevators, so it's a bit scary each time, and it looks like a teen furniture shop exploded all over the lobby, its very precious looking but not comfortable at all, certainly not built for anyone over 100 lbs. The other weird thing is that the little gift shop is NEVER open - you are supposed to ask at the front desk and walk back round the blind corners with staff to gain access to it, but nobody ever seems to do that. All in all, recommended, but get past the weird movie set lobby with the blind corners and nonfunctioning gift shop, and you'll be happy with the spacious, well-equipped rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and mountain views.
CS,

I appreciate you taking a moment to share your feedback about the hotel. I couldn't be more glad to hear that you had a great stay with us and had such positive experiences with our staff. I can't promise that we will change the layout of the lobby, but I will promise that we will always welcome you back with that same smile and enthusiasm each time you visit our oasis in Downtown Phoenix!

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you home soon.

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here during a convention. Odd sort of hotel in that it really has no front door and you seem to get dropped off by cabs around the side of the hotel. Lacks a concierge but most of the staff seem to come up with necessary answers. Rooms are nice and large and a pleasure to stay in. Has a store which only opens by request to the front desk staff. The club lounge really lacks in many areas when compared to hotels of a similar standard but did have free internet and printing facilities. Overall pretty standard hotel. Not really up to Westin standards but ok.

Room Tip: Most rooms seem good. corner rooms are big.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
EDinoM,

I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. We typically get very positive feedback about our offerings in the Westin Executive Club Lounge, so I do very much encourage you to send me any recommendations at OnlineReviewsWestinPhoenix@westin.com We make every effort to exceed our guests expectations and I would welcome your suggestions.

Thank you for visiting Phoenix for your convention and for being a loyal Westin guest!

Respectfully,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I hadn't been to downtown Phoenix in many years but had a convention to attend at the Phoenix Convention Center. This hotel was close by so decided to book at the Westin. I was there for 5 nights/6 days. For those needing the Phoenix Light Rail, there is a stop directly across the street from the hotel. For those driving, the only parking offered is valet service. If you don't need to use your car much there were several parking garages in the area.

The hotel looks brand new and the staff were very professional. I was upgraded to a corner suite which was very nice. I uploaded pictures of my room and I can't complain about the accommodations. Everything was wonderful and I felt at ease. The floor to ceiling windows were great and with a corner suite the bathroom also has windows on two sides (with 2 sets of drapes to use as needed). It was great to have so much light and not feel as trapped in a dark room. The air conditioning also worked quite well (I like it on the cold side).

Most of my time was spent at the convention center or trying to get work done in my room. I very much appreciated that the desk in the room wasn't facing a WALL as so many other hotels tend to do. Since I was on my computer each day it was nice that I could at least look outside and let in some light.

They also have some interesting technology at this hotel. You can download an app from LodgeNet for your Smart phone and control the TV using that. Sometimes pressing the channel forward/reverse has such a delay but it was quick with this app. It was also nice that (for 0.99 cents for the year) the app would also show the grid of what was playing on each channel (TV Guide style). If you wanted to watch that program and change the channel you simply needed to touch that program on your smart phone and the tv would adjust the channel or volume.

They also had an input box on the desk so you could hook up your computer or accessories to the TV. I used that when I had to spend hours on my computer and get a lot of work done as I was able to use the large TV as a monitor.

Even though the staff were professional and the hotel room was great, the room service was the most inconsistent . Unfortunately, with working at the convention center and then having to finish other office work when I returned to the hotel, I ate most meals in my room. The menu seemed limited to me but at least room service was 24 hours. Since there wasn't a great variety I ended up having the same items twice over different days. However, each order was very inconsistent. Sometimes they forgot the silverware, or the sugar, or the condiments (all separate meals). I ordered the Caesar salad once and it came in a huge bowl but was completely saturated in dressing. I couldn't even eat it (and I generally don't mind a heavy hand with the dressing). Later that week I ordered the same salad and asked for dressing on the side. What I received was a plate of salad about half the size of the first order earlier in the week. I was charged the same price so I knew it was meant to the be the same item. There are many examples but another evening I ordered the strip steak which was to come with a chimichurri, potatoes and vegetables. The first night I received a steak, no potatoes at all, no chimichurri but with grilled red peppers and onions. Later in the week I ordered the same item and it arrived as described. Fortunately, if you don't have to be stuck in your room working, you may not need to experience the room service.

The greatest disappointment after working all week was the pool. I had stopped up to take pictures of the pool. It was on the small size, but a nice deck, pool towels, great looking chairs. After the conference ended on Saturday I went back to my room, ordered lunch and got slathered up on sunscreen to go enjoy the pool (finally after 5 days of work) and there was a sign stating that the pool would be closed starting at 2pm for a private event! Needless to say I was very disappointed and quite upset that on a Saturday they would close the pool at that time in the afternoon to all guests.

I would consider staying here again if I knew I didn't have to get so much work done and would be stuck ordering room service. I would also check to see if any private events would be closing the pool at 2pm on a bright, sunny, weekend day when it was 99 degrees outside!

Room Tip: The Suites are very nice with lots of windows
TravelinLeather,

Thank you for your very detailed feedback about your recent stay with us! I appreciate the level of detail you have put in to telling us about your stay. I will be reviewing your feedback with our team as I agree with all your feedback, and we certainly will use it to improve our service execution in In Room Dining and the Pool areas.

I do sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations in those areas. I believe you have been in contact with one of our hotel managers regarding your stay but we would welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence with us - please do not hesitate to email me at OnlineReviewsWestinPhoenix@westin.com if I can assist in accomplishing this.

Thank you again for the great feedback,

San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The standard room is very large and makes you feel at ease! You wonder if it is so large, why did they do not have a tub in each room! The service is still not there, 3 days in a row the room service breakfast order that I placed through the service express operator had mistakes. The worst part, when I called back to inform of the mistake, the operator (the same one who took the order) was rough and not at all apologetic! There is a $15 dollar/day charge for full internet, $7.5 (if no streaming video is desired). I used the business center and was charged approximately $25 for 15 minutes of internet and printing around 10 pages. In the leading hotels of the world the trend is to have free Wi-Fi in the rooms and complimentary business center.

Docoliver,

I appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience. Your feedback will be reviewed with our leadership team here to ensure that we are delivering excellent experiences and compassionate service at every interaction.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to Westin Hotels & Resorts in the near future.

Be Well,

Farmington, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

After a tough medical diagnosis, my husband and I needed to come to Phoenix for a medical consultation, so we booked this hotel based on location. Then, I received an email prior to arrival asking if there was anything we were celebrating or anything we might need during the stay, which was nice. I did inform Saundra that it was just for medical necessity. When we arrived, I called ahead and the room was already prepared early in case we arrived early as I also had surgery recently. Because of the diagnosis, they had prepared a snack and left in the room upon arrival with a special message and well wishes. I'm sure the rest of the staff may not have know the circumstances, but they brought up all my luggage and pillows I had brought and were very sweet. The car was always ready immediately after we called for it. We did eat at the restaurant since we didn't have kids that weekend, but I still didn't want to get out much and it was delicious! We couldn't have chosen a better place to go out to eat to if I had even been up for it! Overall, we would absolutely chose this again....great service, smiling and friendly staff, lovely room and view of the city, quiet and peaceful pool area. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westin Phoenix Downtown? Share your experiences!