“Homemade pasta, authentic pizza” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #922 of 2,583 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Indian School Rd.
Transit: City transit runs right past our restaurant.
San Francisco
“Homemade pasta, authentic pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is a fantastic find in Phoenix. Thin crust pizza is the best this side of New York and totally unexpected in Phoenix. The owners & staff are fantastic serving each dish reflecting the care of classic Italian cuisine prepared with love by your grandmother.The homemade lobster bisque was outstanding. Gasper's wife Maria makes the desserts like her mouth watering take on Tira Misu. The value is great. Parking is ample and well lighted. Interior is bright, new, and comfortable. Wine selection was good and complimented the dishes served.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Average Italian...and that's being kind”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Visited Phoenix and I usually like to try Italian places, so I checked TripAdvisor out, read the reviews for Gasper's. It was close to where I was staying, so my friend and I made a reservation.

The locale is nothing to talk about but that is not an indicator of bad food. Inside, the restaurant was had a modicum of ambiance that was immediately detracted from by the LARGE screen TV at the bar, which was an integral part of the main dining room. No one could avoid seeing it since there was no barrier between the bar and the dining room. When I go to a bar, I expect that. At a restaurant, it is completely out of place.

As for the food, I found it to be average at best. The waiter brought a basket of "bread", which, in reality, was cut up pizza dough, not bread. It was very oily and left my fingers greasy after handling it. The calamari that we ordered arrived. It was the one item that tasted good. It was served with a sauce. Overall, not bad, not killer. Next came the salads which were not especially flavorful. I had a caesar's salad; my friend had the house salad. Following this course came the entrees: I had ordered the spaghetti bolognese; my friend had the chicken parmigiana. The spaghetti bolognese had minimal pasta and maximum sauce, which was boring and not particularly flavorful. My friend, while satisfied with his entree, agreed that it was average. Overall, the food was... really, just average, at best. We both had the cannelloni for dessert. Again, having had this for dessert in many places, this was one of the oddest versions I've tasted that didn't translate into better tasting.

I have eaten in many Italian restaurants from coast to coast and this one is not one I'd return to. There are too many others that far exceed it in value to flavor. I'd rather spend more money to get better food. Not to say this was inexpensive...I spent almost $130.

If this is food made fresh daily, as other reviews state, my suggestion would be to replace the cook. IMHO, they don't have a chef there, not with the lack of quality in their food. The service was good but impersonal. I had no sense of anyone really going above or being the elements of basic waitservice. For what it's worth...

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011 via mobile

We started off our meal with the roasted vegetables, it was very good. Then we had their special fetticine with Parmesan cream sauce, chicken and veggies. It was only $14 and absolutely wonderful! My husband and I both had the cheesecake, he loved it and I thought I was good. Staff was very helpful and nice.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Mom and Pop Italian Restaurant in Central Phoenix”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

This is a fantastic mom & pop Italian restaurant located on 16th street just north of Indian School Rd. Homemade pastas and authentic Italian pizzas at reasonable prices. Service is always outstanding. Last time there my partner and I split the Vesuvio pizza for $13.00 and the Chicken Saltimbocca for $15.00. We also split a house salad (salads are large enough to share). Both meals were outstanding. And their homemade NY style cheesecake is to DIE for! The best I ever had and worth the extra 90 minutes of cardio.

• Visited June 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
“Wow! Just Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I'm gonna begin by stating that this was the best dining experience i have ever had hands down. The restaurant is hardly located in what one would consider a ritzy area, but let me assure you, what it lacks in glitz is more than made up by the service, food, and overall atmosphere. Gasper's is authentic Italian through and through. Everything is made fresh everday, from the pasta to the mouth watering deserts. And to top it off, the bill won't break the bank by any means. I had the house salad which was very fresh and tasty with just the right hint of balsamic dressing. Next up was the absolute best bruschetta and calamari that i have ever had. The calamari were fried to perfection and the texture and flavor were just perfect. The bruschetta was equally as devine. For the entree i had the seafood linguine, and let me tell you, it was to die for! Finally desert. My god! The cheesecake at this place is absolutely out of this world! Like everythinbg else it is made fresh from scratch everyday and if you aren't careful they will run out late in the evening. I has a glass of merlot with the meal as well and all told my bill came to 35 bucks. I can't say enough about this place. If you are in Phoenix you owe it to yourself to try Gapser's out.

• Visited April 2011