“Unique and Interesting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Musical Instrument Museum

Musical Instrument Museum
4725 East Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85050 (Desert Ridge)
+1 480-478-6000
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 94 Attractions in Phoenix
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: The World's Only Global Musical Instrument Museum. Home of the MIM Music Theater--a 300-seat acoustically superb performance space--as well as the award-winning Cafe Allegro (open 11 am - 2 pm daily) and the MIM Museum Store. The average guest spends nearly four hours at MIM. Please allow plenty of time to fully enjoy MIM's galleries and exhibits. Open Monday through Saturday, 9 am - 5 pm; Open Sunday, 10 am - 5 pm; Closed Thanksgiving; Open Christmas, 11 am - 5 pm. General Admission: $18; Teens (ages 13-19): $14; Children (ages 4-12): $10; Children 3 and under: Free. Hours and prices are subject to change.
Sacramento, California
11 attraction reviews
“Unique and Interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family recently visited this museum and we enjoyed it very much. I love the concept of it, with each room representing a continent or area of the world, and each display within that room representing a country. We loved the headset concept and did not have any problems with it. The headsets made all the musical instruments come alive. It is a very audio/visual experience. I also really liked the traditional costumes of the countries and of some famous artists (like Elvis). When the kids got a little restless (they are 10 and 12), we headed to the room where you can try a variety of the instruments. That put them back on track. There is so much to see, it is a little bit of information overload. We did not go in the cafe, but having lunch there might be a nice way to break up the day. You can see prices and their menu online at the MIM website. Another option would be to eat outside by your car and then head back inside for more (not sure that is allowed though). The gift shop is interesting too, although it is a little over priced for my family. Overall, a great experience.

Indianapolis
18 attraction reviews
“Perfect Pitch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We visited with my mother and my teenage kids; my mom had been there before and highly recommended it. We were not disappointed. We are a musical family, but I honestly think most people would find this well worthwhile regardless of interest in music.

Many thoughtful touches, including a well tuned Steinway grand piano which is placed in the lobby for ANYONE to play at any time. That means anyone. My daughter played a piece on it, which sounded great (something about a Steinway that just makes what's good sound even better) and she received applause from those nearby when she finished! What a nice experience for patrons of the museum to have a chance, if they wish, to make an impromptu contribution to the overall experience at the place.

Plan to sit down for lunch in the cafe - it is a notable part of the experience unto itself. Local produce presented in imaginative entrees, in a nice setting with large windows overlooking the sunny courtyard.

It is a little expensive. But for the money you get a fascinating visit in a world-class museum. It's worth the money, in the same way tickets to the symphony are worth the money. You will walk out entertained and culturally enriched!

Visited April 2013
west hills, ca
94 attraction reviews
“really interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

very creative presentation of musical instruments, their history and origin. so many countries are represented here. very interactive and a lovely building. highly recommend.

Visited April 2013
Tucson
35 attraction reviews
“Out of Tune: Technical Improvements needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our second trip to MIM, which I consider unique in the world and absolutely worth going to for at least a few hours. Unfortunately their very clever listening device that starts playing in your earphones when you approach an exhibit and stops when you walk away needs work. It would pick up a nearby exhibit or not play at all or you had to hit some buttons to reset it(that were not marked as such. I asked others if they were having the same problem and they were. Finally I was so frustrated that i gave up, returned the sets, and wrote a note to them. Their reply "Hope you had a good time." Listening, as in so many places, is not a requisite skill.
However do go there. Parts that are spread out, work better and it is a great place. Just hope they read this and fix the system, which when working is very good.

Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
“Top quality museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you have any interest in either music or world cultures, this is a fabulous museum. The rooms are organized in continents, and within that, countries. Each country has one (or more) display of instruments and video with its music soundtrack. One great part of this museum is that each visitor's headphones automatically synch to the display you are in front of, making this so easy. I barely covered Asia, South America, and Africa, and the U.S. and Europe exhibits looked fabulous also. I went with a group of 4 (family) and we all meandered in our own directions. All 4 of us agreed this was an unexpected jewel of a museum, and we've all seen a lot. I'll go again next time I'm in Phoenix.