“Great place to spend a day” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Zoo

Phoenix Zoo
455 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix, AZ 85008 (Camelback East)
602-273-1341
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 94 Attractions in Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: You'll find nearly any animal you can think of at this 125-acre, internationally renowned zoo, where fascinating trails lead you through an African savanna, a tropical rainforest and the Arizona environs, complete with wildlife of the respective region. Highlights are the giant Galapagos tortoises and a baboon colony.
Oslo, Norway
7 attraction reviews
“Great place to spend a day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Enjoyed my trip to this zoo a great deal, ended up visiting twice to get around it all. Was especially interested in their rehabilitation efforts for endangered species, found the park easy to navigate and a lot of interesting information about their animals. Especially enjoyed the stingray bay, getting to pet the stingrays was more fun than I'd have thought. Great giftshop, and convenient kiosks placed around the park, coupled with clean, well-lit restrooms, and a really nice staff made for a couple of great days spent at the zoo.

Visited March 2014

• Korean first
4 attraction reviews
“So-so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I expected more especially for the steep price of entry. Didn't get to see as many animals as other zoos I have visited that were less expensive. The monkeys were fun. Wish we would have picked another attraction for the 2 to 3 hours we had available.

Windsor, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Love all the water attractions for the children. Spider Monkey exhibit was awesome! It was cool actually seeing the animals out and about.

Visited March 2014
Chandler, Arizona
12 attraction reviews
“I Love This Zoo, With or Without The Culture Pass!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have been to this beautiful zoo many times. My favorite spot is the monkey "domain." They are not caged (thank God) and have lots of freedom to swing from the trees as well as get fairly close to you. (As long as you are quiet.) A photo I took in this area was the front cover of this year's Christmas card. It's wonderful to see the precious monkeys have so space to live their lives.
During my last visit, a couple of months ago, I realized there was an entire section I have previously missed!!(Psssst......it's to the far rt of the entrance.) This section is away from the bustling crowd and very beautiful. It's where the bear is. A photo I took in this section is so spectacular I am using it for my Easter Card this year.
There is also a ZIPLINE which I rode to celebrate my membership into Medicare. It is a short ride but very inexpensive and lots of fun.
I highly reccomend visiting this zoo and if you are fortunate enough you may be able to snag a Culture Pass from one of the libraries. It affords you two FREE entrance fees!

Visited January 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
15 attraction reviews
“Animals actually come out! But Sad petting Zoo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

So I have a year pass because there are many animals to see...you won't see it all in one day and there's lots to do. Plus, the year pass is totally worth it...its the price of what you would pay if you visited the park once. Monkey village is really cool and when it's not crowded, the monkeys will get very close to you...I mean almost touching distance. It's interesting to watch them in their environment. The Aviaries was a great experience as well...one I will never forget. The Arizona Trail and the local wildlife was boring but then again I know what's here...it's fun if your a tourist I guess. Just don't do the Arizona trail in the middle of the day when it's at it's highest point because it's a long trail and very hot with no shade. I have to say that in the AZ trail...I love the goats, I was lucky enough to see one run in front of my eyes right under the bridge. It's fun to guess where they are and look through your binoculars because to see if it's a real one or something else. Bring your own binoculars...it's like 75 cents to look through their and by the time you look in the peep whole, your time is up.

They have really great food...it's soooo delish. Get the novelty cup and you get dollar refills everytimes you visit...forever or until your cup wears down! The giraffes in the beginning were really great and you can go up and feed them too if you want (Ithink it's extra). I was able to see the Jaguar from a distance and the cheetah was asleep right over my head in his cage barrier...it was weird because my fiancé is very tall and could have touched him if he wanted...I think that's kind of dangerous but whatever. It was a very close experience at I took lots of pictures. I saw baby animals as well. One thing I love about the Phoenix Zoo is that the animals come very close. I went to the Bronx Zoo in NY as a kid all the time and the animals were NEVER out...It was like I was just looking at their habitat. When I saw the Phx Zoo, I was like Kid in a candy store...The wildlife Zoo, is EVEN cooler.

One Thing that I want to add that was not cool which is why I gave 4 ratings as appose to 5 is because the Petting Zoo is a very sad place to go. The animals are obviously dying of thirst and are always tired and laying on the floor like they are about to die. Even the cows and horses are not well kept. They don't even cover the horses eyes while flies are flying around it eating their eyes. It was pretty discusting and I had to leave right away.

Also, If you go on cooler days, you will have more fun. I went on a day that it rained and it was amazing.

Visited April 2013