“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic

You added Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic to your Saves list
Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5665 E Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix, AZ 85054 (Desert Ridge)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sleep In & Save 20%!
Ranked #29 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Kankakee, Illinois
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here during a visit to Mayo Clinc, which is just a few minutes away by car. Great place to stay, in fact I may sell my week at nearby Canyon Villas and just stay here. Very clean room, not issues with housekeeping. Very good free breakfast. Free internet and parking. No issues with anything during our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed here 2 days. Front desk wonderful and rooms clean and quiet. Worked great for me. Seen another review concerning housekeeping - I don't let housekeeping into my room so I do not have an opinion regarding them. However the room was clean upon arrival.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Came in for my husband to have surgery at the Mayo Hospital. Had requested extra towels and form pillows, when making reservations. None in room when checked in. Housekeeping was a trip, dirty dishes put in dish washer never turned on. Sheets not changed twice a week as advised.Left a note to request change. Broken bulb not replaced, even with bulb left on table and lamp shades off, had to request replacement at front desk. Charges made to room from market by other guest and ID not checked. Charges removed. Same old breakfast, no breakfast burritos or bacon as said. Lobby staff was friendly and nice as well as breakfast staff. Main problem with house keeping staff, many did not speak good english which made it hard to tell or ask about something. Surprised that Marriott properties do not recycle plastic items or paper. The stay was ok. Shuttle drivers were great. Also did not receive welcome kit had to call about it. One more thing the phone has a direct line button to the Mayo which is nice, but you are charged 75 cents for it, nothing telling you about that.

Room Tip: Get things straight with housekeeping
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Liz V, Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Good day! I am the Assistant General Manager at the Residence Inn Desert View By Marriott. I am surely disappointed in the experience you received while staying in my hotel. I have provided this feedback to our Housekeeping Deparment and have retrained accordingly. I would like to compensate you for your experience at my hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Make it a great day!

Liz Vessey
Assistant General Manager
elizabeth.vessey@marriott.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My parents and I are from El Paso, TX. My parents are in Scottsdale for a month (maybe longer) while my dad undergoes 2 brain surgeries at mayo. I stayed with them for the first surgery this past week. The hotel stay has made it so much easier on all of us. The place is clean and comfortable, and the service is absolutely fantastic. The staff have been nothing but pleasant and helpful. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012
Monroeville, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while he was traveling on business over the winter. We had a one bedroom suite which was perfect for us. The lobby is huge with many areas to sit and just relax or read. Outside there is a fire pit which was fun to sit by in the cool evenings. Our room had a beautiful view of the mountains and was wonderful to look out upon in the evenings as the sun set. There were many people staying at this hotel while visiting family at the nearby Mayo Clinic. There is not much to do directly near the hotel; however, a courtesy shuttle is available to take you to nearby stores, shopping etc. There was a wonderful outdoor mall nearby that had a huge outdoor fireplace along with seating. Although this was not a vacation for us, it was a nice getaway to a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We just returned from a two week stay there.

The good:
Upon check in our room was clean. Had a one bedroom, which made a two week stay bearable.
The kitchen in the one bedroom was modern with granite counters and a full refrigerator, stove, oven and microwave.
Comfortable bed and pillows.
Good internet connection, if you need to catch up on work.
Lobby area comfortable and roomy.
Except for a couple of nights with noisy neighbors (slamming doors, running down the hallway), very quiet.
Grounds were well kept. Pool and fitness center were nice.

The not so good:
Housekeeping was hit or miss. We tipped daily and well, yet, housekeeping was inconsistent. We paid for the nightly rate, not the extended stay rate. Some days they came to clean and did well. Other times, did not vacuum or start the dishwasher (which they are supposed to do), or refresh toiletries. On three other occasions, they were a no show. We had a voice mail from housekeeping indicating that the housekeeper was leaving early (like at 1 pm) and would not service our room, and to call front desk if we needed anything. Well, when you return to your room later in the day, and you are tired and looking forward to a shower and bed, it is not pleasant to come back to a room with no fresh towels and that has not been made up. We did not have a sign on the door indicating privacy so this seemed to be a case where housekeeping was taking advantage of longer stay folks. One day, we did have the privacy sign up overnight, and by 9:30 am we had a note slid under the door saying unless we called the front desk we would not have service that day. Thank goodness for Danny at the front desk. He was appalled that we got a note and it was not even 12 noon. On all occasions where housekeeping missed, Danny was the one who ensured someone came up and at least refreshed our towels. He is the best person at the front desk!
Also, don't count on housekeeping changing your sheets mid week as stated. We had been there four nights and finally had to call - you guessed it - to request them to be changed.

The Okay
Breakfast buffet was adequate. Same scrambled eggs, pork sausage patties, potatoes EVERY DAY. We had been told they changed it out with bacon, breakfast burritos, etc. but in the two weeks we were there it never changed. The crew does a good job of cleaning the breakfast area, and they are very friendly. Several times we saw people arrive just after 9 am (closing time) yet they left it open for them, which was a nice gesture. We started eating out some days for variety.

Overall: Good place to stay, but I would not personally stay there again. Do not want to stay somewhere where I have to hassle with something as basic as housekeeping on a daily basis.

Room Tip: Sixth floor corner room is the best.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Liz V, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Good day! I am the Assistant General Manager at the Residence Inn Desert View By Marriott. I am writing you regarding your recent stay at my hotel in June. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience. I have followed up with the housekeeping staff and reviewed training as needed. I do apologize for the inconvenience this mave have caused you. This is definitely not the experience our guests come to experience. I will also pass on the praise to Danny. I hope that if you find yourself in the area again you will give us another chance. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I am here for you! Make it a great day!

Liz Vessey
Socorro, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Was not here on pleasure trip but to escort my grandmother to the Mayo Clinic. This is an excellent location (walk there in 5 or take the free shuttle). Rooms are spotless, breakfast better offerings than most with nice wide selection. The overall layout of the lobby is large, spacious and beautiful decorated. The gardens around are beautiful along with a putting green and large pool with some sunbeds being under shaded tarps. I would have enjoyed a whirlpool for the bones, but I suppose they didn't feel it necessary since this is a hot desert most of the year. The complimentary snacks in the evening are very nice, but remember that they are free and therefore don't expect a home cooked meal. These are items like nachos, burgers and hot dogs. --- The crib was not of the newest or clean quality as you could see lots of stains on the bottom pad from other children but I just put many layers of linens on top and that sufficed.

Room Tip: Bring individual laundry soap packets as they have coin-op machines. They do sell soap but easy to b...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic? Share your experiences!