“Don't stay in the villas” 3 of 5 stars

All Inclusive Package
Ranked #29 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, Canada
“Don't stay in the villas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We visited the Biltmore to attend a conference in April. We received a "discounted" conference rate of $299 (plus taxes) At check in we were told that our room is in one of the Bougainvillea villas, which we first thought was an upgrade. Huge disappointment! Positives: the room is spacious and overlooking a private pool area. The area is quiet and well landscaped.
Negatives: everything in the room was falling apart and substandard. The carpet and the curtains are filthy. We could not tell if the carpet was supposed to be brown or grey, the alarm did not work and electrical outlets were falling out from the wall. The bathroom was big but hugely outdated, a scale was put in but did not work, the sinks were cracked and the bathmats were supposed to be white but they were grey. The shower/tub had caulking everywhere and looked like a kid would have put it on with his fingers to hastily plug all the leaking places. The bed was uncomfortable and obviously old and the pillow top put on it was ~15 inch shorter than the bed. The room had a very old ~22 inch regular TV that should have been replaced a long time ago as it was barely visible. The remote did not work properly as it gave us only a few channels that were actually listed. And the worst part: we did not have hot water the first night because the owner of the villa turned off the hot water heater! We did not know that the villas were in private hands, but this was probably the reason for the lacking facilities. To the hotel's credit the engineer came ~30 minutes later and spent considerable time with trying to find out what the problem was. After he managed to turn the electric water heater on, we had at least lukewarm water, so we could take a very quick shower. Unfortunately, the problem returned next morning, when we had only cold water again. Apparently, the thermostat was not adjusted the night before, so the water never heated up and we were left almost all morning without hot water. The whole experience was hugely disappointing and we expected a lot more from a 5-star hotel. The grounds are truly beautiful and the main hotel lobby area is great. We cannot comment on any of the rooms in the main building but, we would advise anyone against staying in the villas due to the issues we experienced.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the villas
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I joined my wife at a conference here and loved every minute. While it goes without saying that the architecture is beautiful and the gardens are plentiful and well-maintained, what surprised me was how close everything was for the size of the resort. Lots of places to sit and read, lots of great pools, a spa with great masseurs, and yummy food wherever I ate. The room was also recently renovated and tastefully decorated, depicted the required modernizations. I will return...not sure if I'll bring the kids. Nice place to go with your spouse!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My daughter attends college in Phoenix and it is far and few that I get the luxury of spending time with her so quality is a must and I like to spoil her during my visits. I booked the "Biltmore" for their outstanding attentive service. Although, the property is beautiful and the resort quite luxurious, I was surprised with the service and our confusing stay. Check in went very smooth and they surprised me with an up-graded room (very nice). I had booked the message packages which included a massage each day for each of us, but this was not explained so we missed one of our massages. We were suppose to receive meal and massage vouchers upon checkin but did not so I paid for everything and when I questioned the front desk, they could not clarify the incidentals of my package. An over site I thought but then when I had checked out, my voucher were given to me and additional charges which I had to dispute prior to catching my plan. The manager did extend the date of one of the vouchers to allow for the massage which my daughter and I did not receive but I had paid in advance. So that was nice. Our last night there, we decided to have dinner off the property and took the shuttle to the Biltmore Mall to eat at Seasons (amazing)! The drive is less than a quarter mile. I went to tip the driver feeling quite generous and he stated "Oh, that will be twenty dollars". I told him I thought shuttle service was included in the resort fees (which they are suppose to be). Another over site! I was willing to over look the poor communication until my daughter said to me, "Wow, that was the most confusing stay we've ever experienced with Hilton and a expensive one at that." I emailed the hotel and explained to them that this is the top of the line for Hilton and I had expected better. They did send me a voucher for a one night stay in a premium room and credited my account for the bottled water that we had drank from the room fridge. Kudos! My only other complaint, is that most of the guest are stuffy, not very polite. It is very difficult to have a conversation with them.

Room Tip: Doors are heavy and very loud when closing.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Paradise Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

One of the best in the valley. If not the best!

We had a wonderful stay at the Arizona Biltmore, Waldorf Astoria. We were in a Signature suite, which was nice. The furnishings are well appointed. Located near the main pool, the room is nice, spacious, clean and fresh. [Would have appreciated a mini fridge in the room rather than a honor bar also a larger safe would be a nice upgrade]

The staff is friendly and gracious. Housekeeping were warm and all smiles. We didn’t have our room serviced much during our stay but the few times we did housekeeping were efficient, and welcoming.

We enjoyed the “old school” ambiance, photos from times gone by, Reagan Honeymoon registration check in card on display, and service amenities from times past including food delivery to sun loungers pool side. The guys and gals working at the waters edge were accommodating and a true asset to the resort. [Tamika was our server a handful of times and was sociable and organized.

Much history to take in as the hotel as been in operation since the 20’s.

The outdoor gardens, flowers, hedges and lawns are beautifully maintained- but not without a price. The gardeners are out in force with their mowers beginning at 7:00am which is loud , and we couldn’t see to escape it. To their credit they do stop the noise if you walk by.

A good stay overall. Thank you.

Room Tip: Suites are pricey but worth it
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Let me say, first, that the Arizona Biltmore is more than a hotel. It is a resort -- a high-end resort. It is a large campus with many, many buildings. It is a major conference center. It is an architecturally consistent campus mixing new with old. (Frank Lloyd Wright was the consulting architect when William Wrigley built the original buildings.) It is almost breathtaking.

I asked for a very quiet room away from it all, and stayed in one of the "Golf View Villas" on the far east of the campus -- a healthy six-minute walk from the main lobby and a ten-minute walk to the conference center buildings. The Golf View Villas have not been remodeled, as many other places have been recently. I had an old picture tube-model TV in my room, as opposed to the large, inset flat-screen TVs others in my group were enjoying. Of course, I don't watch TV, so it didn't bother me. The rest of the room was great: the bed was fabulous, and everything else about the room was still top-notch. The furniture was neither dated nor worn; the carpet was in great shape; the wallpaper, grout, and caulk all around the bathroom were in excellent condition. The room was, indeed, very quiet -- except for the noises of an overly amorous couple in the adjoining room. Fortunately, those sorts of things don't usually last long (ahem) and it clearly wasn't the hotel's fault that guests were enjoying themselves!

It's easy to find your way around the campus, for the little folder they give you with your room keycard has a great map (see the picture attached). Signage is great, and the staff are all very helpful, courteous, and friendly. Food service at the conference events I attended -- breakfast and lunch -- was all very good, and the service was outstanding, with staff bustling about, consistently refreshing things, attending to diners, and cleaning up.

Parking is not free, and they don't tell you that -- not on check-in, and I didn't see it on the website. It's not outrageous for the type of resort this is, but still, I always prefer taking the high road and being up front with things. On check-in, they simply asked if I had a car. No license plate number necessary, and park anywhere. Valet parking is available, as well -- as are cars for hire, if you want to go somewhere. There's a large shopping mall just about a 20-minute walk away.

The Arizona Biltmore earns a clear five-star rating from me, even though it wasn't perfect (can you say, "Hidden parking fee"?). But the overall experience was simply so positive, the few negatives just melt away. The entire campus was clean, the service everywhere was spectacular, and the experience wonderful.

A word of advice: if you're relying on your GPS to find the hotel, be sure to enter "Arizona Biltmore Hotel," not just "Arizona Biltmore," because the area around the hotel is Biltmore Estates and Biltmore this and Biltmore that.

If you can afford the Arizona Biltmore Resort, by all means, don't hesitate to enjoy it.

Room Tip: Be specific about your choices. If you want to be in the main building, request it. There are umptee...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Arizona Biltmore is a timeless beauty that continues to deliver a first class guest experience!!

The Arizona Biltmore perfectly blends the culture and aesthetic of the southwest with brilliant hospitality. Not only do guests get to experience the breathtaking and one of a kind aesthetic of Frank Lloyd Wright and Albert Chase McArthur but the hotel staff is always there to greet you with a smile and a helping hand!

Our stay was nothing short of exquisite! From exiting our car the bellman and valet were happy and helpful! Next, Brianna checked us in and did a terrific job of explaining how to get to our room (the property is very large and has many colorful and extremely well kept gardens!) After dropping our bags off at our room, that boasted a beautiful balcony and updated interior, we walked around to take in the unique design style that is woven throughout the entire property! Adam was very helpful and took time to tell us about the property! He even went as far as to give us some nice cards that further detailed interesting facts and some history of the hotel! A key point of interest is the Mystery Room which used to be a speak easy during prohibition, definitely worth checking out!

We enjoyed drinks at the lobby bar, nachos and a Cobb salad at Frank & Albert's, and enjoyed cheese, crackers and wine from room service! The food and beverage staff is attentive and knowledgable about the menu. We especially enjoyed the Lifted Kilt beer (locally brewed in Tempe) and the McArthur Muses (a Moscow Mule type drink).

Jonathon made the check out process easy and was very gracious and wiling to answer any questions we had about the hotel!

The only thing wrong with our stay is that it couldn't be longer! I can't wait to come back and further enjoy the pool, water slide and enjoy the peaceful ambiance that the Biltmore is able to provide to each guest! Great job to the Biltmore staff and management for representing such a special property so beautifully! For a truly southwestern experience at a location that has historical importance (every president since Hoover has stayed at the Biltmore!) then the Biltmore is happily awaiting your arrival!

Stayed April 2015
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Afternoon tea at The Biltmore is an absolute delight. Being looked after by Kevin is something special, he makes you feel as though ŷou are the most important guest in the hotel. Service was wonderful, tea delightful and the food more than anyone could ask for. I would highly recommend you have afternoon tea at The Biltmore.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!