“The Best of Phoenix/Scottsdale” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   2400 East Missouri Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85016   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 175 hotels in Phoenix
Portland, Oregon
“The Best of Phoenix/Scottsdale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is a beautiful, historic hotel. It was built in 1929 by Albert McArthur. (Frank Lloyd Wright was a consultant.) I have never seen a hotel combine luxury and history with such finesse. If there were a 5+ rating, the Arizona Biltmore would receive it. Our visit was flawless. We stayed in a luxurious suite in the Fountain Villas. The grounds were mature and lush, and the pools were beautiful. We have stayed in many hotels in Scottsdale and Phoenix over the years, and nothing comes close to this hotel. We had dinner and brunch at Wright's Restaurant, located on the grounds. Both meals were amazing, but the breakfast brunch was the best brunch I have had anywhere in the world. The dessert offerings were fantastical.

Room Tip: For fun: Ask the manager to see the (unadvertised) secret room. I won't ruin it for you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RoomsDirectorAZB, Manager at Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Our Chefs take great pride in tantalizing our guests' tastebuds and offering a singular Waldorf experience to our guests in uniquely beautiful settings. We hope to welcome you back soon to the Jewel of the Desert.

Director Rooms Division

2,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 6 nights while enjoying the sun and some baseball. This was the first time for us at this hotel. We have stayed at the Westin Kierland for the past several years, but because their rates were so expensive for our time frame this year, we had to seek out something else. I chose this hotel based upon the choices offered through a Southwest Airlines Vacation package. I understood going in that this hotel has seen better days and has very mixed reviews. That being said, there was some good surprises and some bad.
We checked in on a Monday and as I had read so often, of course there was a large convention being held there. I think this is how they pay the bills. They seem to hold back to back large events continuously. I called the day before our arrival to request an updated room and was told they would note my reservation, I believe I spoke with Samantha and she seemed kind and polite. When we arrived, I called the hotel because we had a handful of delays getting there and wanted to eat before we checked in. I realize that there may be certain times of the day when you are more likely to get a better room. I have experienced before, checking in late and getting the bottom of the bucket as far as room quality. I wanted to make sure stopping before our check in wouldn't affect our room quality. We arrived and Taylor helped us. She was also polite and kind and stated they had a great room for us. I realized the next morning that upon check in, we were never given any property information. I would expect this given we have never been here before. Never told check out time, hours things were open, where to find anything, if there were any extra charges, etc. Nothing, name, credit card, here's your room key and location on a map. We found our room in the Valley wing. Which was sort-of what I had requested. When I had made the phone call requesting the updated room, I was told those were in the main building. But I had also read that often those rooms are noisy due to conventions and proximity to the bar. So I requested second choice to be ground floor overlooking the main pool. I have 2 teens and enjoy the ability of letting them come and go through the patio. Well, the room we got was not updated but it was ground floor overlooking the Ocotilla pool. So sort of what I requested but not first choice. The room was definitely older and has seen lots of guests. The furniture was worn, the bathroom older, with a poorly draining tub, worn through toilet seat cover, and ripped lamp shade. That being said, it was much larger than many of the "better" rooms I have stayed in. At the Westin, the room is much smaller and for four people it can get tight. The bathroom is much smaller at the Biltmore, but the closets bigger, and so are the beds. Queens. Surprisingly, our rooms stayed nice and cool, probably from being on the ground floor, north side, so we never had to turn on the A/C until it was 95 out. And once on, it was very quiet. We thought the beds were very comfortable. So I decided not to request a change because the of the room size and the ground floor patio access. So far, no real surprises from what I had read.
The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. That's about it. There were many things that I found were not on par with what should be Waldorf Astoria level. With the exception of the housekeeping staff and the food delivery trikes, not one employee that we passed ever said hello, smiled, etc. We often woke early (6:30am) and enjoyed our coffee and paper near the main fire pits, which were fabulous. But walking the property at that time, we found empty cups and plates every single morning somewhere in the hallways, sitting areas or walkways of the property. The coffee shop is under-staffed and not in any hurry, and chatty in the back. There were dirty towels left on the chairs from the night before in the pool area that were not cleaned until after 9 am. Often the supply of towels could not keep up with the demand. The property in general could use some financial investment. Many crumbling walkways, chipped pool gates, lack of drainage in some areas and cracked planter boxes. Lack of signage in such a spread out property. A lousy basketball court and rec area, although the gym was nice. Never used the spa. Never ate on property except for at the pool. Food was fine. Service was fine. Kids loved the water slide in the pool. The pool area is a little small for the size of the property. I understand there are many pools, but this main one was definitely crowded. Croquet was nice as was putting green but $20 to rent a tennis court and $25 to rent a racquet seems a little steep. Requested an extra hour for check out, but denied without apology or smile. I was charged for an extra night of valet which they promptly removed.
Overall, I was not too surprised, but a little disappointed that this property could not wow. It once was special, but now is not. If I had paid full price for our room, I would have been really upset, as the quality and service just aren't there. It was fine, but that's it exactly, fine. I don't think we will be returning, there just was nothing special enough to draw us back.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a perfect room. You have to request based upon what is important to you pers...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for providing us with your thoughtful review of your stay with us and please accept my apologies for the lapses in service that you encountered while you were with us. It certainly is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide to our guests and will take your constructive feedback to our leaders and team members. Should you plan another trip to the Phoenix please reach out to me personally, so that I may personally take care of your arrangements.

Director Rooms Divsion
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were awed by the architechtural reverence paid to Frank Lloyd Wright at the Biltmore Hotel. Every detail at the resort was very well thought out with the simple but distinctive style of the architecht. The grounds were beautiful and immacuately kept. Our room in the Octilla wing was spacious and comfortable. We enjoyed the Octilla lounge and the availability of beverages and snacks throughout the day. Every employee we came into contact with was friendly and welcoming. We wandered through the property and enjoyed the understated elegance of everything we saw. This is a classic and very classy property!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
A pillar of our service culture is providing our guests with warm personal service and from the comments in your review we are glad you encountered our friendly team members throughout the resort grounds.

Director Rooms Division
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We love this hotel with the views of the mountains from the room. The main pool area is ideal for swimming and relaxing. The grounds are beautifully maintained and the staff are friendly and helpful!

The hotel is nestled in a residencial area with a golf course, so finding it the first time may be a little trickly, but well worth the hunt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here at a business conference in late February. Well apparently it never snows there but it did when i was staying there. This is a huge gorgeous hotel with great rooms and faciities spread out across.
The rooms are very clean and spacious.The food was better off the resort than in. All hotels like these are overpriced and do not live up to their star rating. The hotel bar staff are amazing how they can serve so many people in a short time, kudos to them. For a conference it is good but i would not go for a holiday there on my own.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I went to the Biltmore on a business trip and I enjoyed the hotel as a great get away. You whisk into the lobby and you are taken away to another era. The architecture is stunning! Even though the hotel was full you never felt like it was crowded . There are so many beautiful vistas and places to wonder around.

Also, both restaurants were good and the staff was very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: The renovated rooms in the main building are nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Laguna Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

As an architect, I had wanted to stay at this hotel for awhile and finally had the chance while visiting the area for Spring Training. After reading some of the reviews, I feel for those that paid the prime season rate and got the so-called crappy rooms. My friend and I had a reduced rate luckily, because we would not have stayed there otherwise based on the rate versus the reviews.
The Architecture:
This is a beautiful hotel with some historic qualities. I do admirer Frank Lloyd Wright and this hotel is a true reflection of his style. However, the more modern additions, buildings, and rooms either tried too hard to replicate such as the new restaurants, or didn't try hard enough such as the hotel room wings, and most people wouldn't notice or care for that matter. It was obvious to me which was authentic and that is where the hotel has done well with maintaining the true architecture and interiors.
Rooms:
Our (second) room in the Terrace Wing was fine, both comfortable and quiet. We were told it had recently been updated. I think "recently" is a bit overstated. My estimate is perhaps 2-3 years ago with new furnishings. The bathrooms could use some "refreshing" but they weren't bad. Our first room had some minor glitches and after asking, we were moved to another room. It took over a half hour for the Front Desk to call the Bellman to deliver our new key to move. I gave Value a three because the rooms are not worthy of more than $300 a night in high season.
Dining:
We ate at Frank and Albert's for breakfast and dinner and had great table service and good food. We did "engage" the dinner hostess that tried to stick us at a rather unpleasant table by the opened door with significant foot traffic while there were six empty (unreserved) tables around. We had to talk her into letting us sit at a warmer table out of traffic. That should not have happened.
Service:
if it wasn't for the Front Desk staff, I would give Service a five. While very friendly, the Front Desk staff do need some serious training. First, they had a hard time answering the phones. Second, they didn't act upon requests in a timely manner. Last, when you check out, if the Statement of Charges is not offered to you BEFORE you give your credit card or sign off, ask for it. Not only were we (way) overcharged for things we didn't incur, my friend discovered significant charges to her debit card (only used to hold the reservation) during our stay. It was all worked out a couple of days after check out by Marisa Yacim who was very helpful, but only after leaving a couple of messages to accounting management that never called back. After contacting the General Manager's assistant, Marisa contacted me.
All of the other service staff was excellent and provided service worthy of a four star hotel.
In summary:
This hotel is large and spread out. It offers many amenities and the grounds are beautiful and peaceful. I was generous with the tripadvisor four dot rating because of the issues explained. The Arizona Biltmore has the potential to be a five star resort but there are a few things that they struggle with, keeping it at the four star rating.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk too far to get back and forth from your room, stay in the main buildin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!