“Terrible One Night Stay while in route to Sedona, Az” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Phoenix

You added DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Phoenix to your Saves list
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Phoenix
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   320 North 44th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85008 (Camelback East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Upgrade for WiFi & Drinks
Ranked #36 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Montclair, NJ
“Terrible One Night Stay while in route to Sedona, Az”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at this DoubleTree one night on 4/21 and it was nothing like I expected. Rather than the DoubleTree hotels I've stayed at this was more like a low end Red Roof Hotel. There was so much dust and dirt on the elevator windows, the room doors were old, the sitting area (suite portion of the room) was worn and the bathroom was low average. The pool definitely resembled a motel outdoor pool vs a luxury chain well maintenance swimming facility. The only thing good about this hotel was the bed was very comfortable and the complimentary bkfast. I "pre-paid" $100+ for this stay and feel someone "owe" me $$$. After extensive research on Travelosity and good reviews, I narrowed my search to "this!!" Bad Move. I would not stay here again, nor recommend it. Anything that cost $100+ per night, should be worth it.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the pictures.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
ManagerphxDT, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Phoenix, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us while on your way to Sedona. I am sorry you felt this way after leaving the hotel. I can assure you that I will use this review as a training point to ensure we are all paying strict attention to detail during routine maintenance of our suites and grounds. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future should your travels bring you back to Phoenix.

Todd D. Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Williamstown, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed here on our way to Hawaii. On check in they had not "linked" our two rooms so my 80+ year old parents that I care for and our room were not together. The front desk staff was friendly and claimed she "linked" our return stay rooms together. Upon entering my parents' assigned room (118) we found a bag of trash on the coffee table and a huge roach dead in the bathroom. In our room we found a used creamer container in the corner of the living room. Housecleaning clearly is inadequate at the hotel. The front desk staff send housecleaning and said they would talk with housecleaning supervisor. Offered to change my parents to another room but they were too exhausted after a 7 hour flight to relocate. On the return trip we had called the evening before to remind them we had reserved one room for 4/20 but would not actually arrive until 6:00 a.m. on 4/21 for that room. Upon our arrival we were told there were no rooms available. After much discussion back and forth that we had prepaid for one room and therefore it had to still be vacant since they cannot rent it twice, I asked for the manager. She stated she was the manager but when I told her the continued problems with the hotel she in essence dismissed my complaints indicating she was doing the best she could and there were no rooms. I stated she had better get us one there or another hotel as she cannot collect rent for a room she let to someone else. I told her I had to get my parents fed (diabetic dad) and that would give her about 40 minutes to "discover" a room for us. After breakfast she did have a room for us and we checked into 120 (it was clean). As we were to be linked to our second room once the "next day" check-ins were allowed, they did obtain our second room and allow us to check in early at 11:45 a.m. which was nice of them. We then checked out that evening at 9:00 p.m. to catch our red eye. While the rooms were adequate and quite and the pool very nice along with a good breakfast inclusive buffet, I would never stay at this hotel again. Between the inadequate ability to put reservations made together in rooms next or near one another and a manager who clearly is too flustered when the hotel is busy to adequately address issues to the poor cleanliness I cannot recommend this hotel. We in fact were not provided any restitution for having to wait for a room that had been prepaid so after our red eye from Hawaii we would be able to just sleep upon arrival. We had to wait another hour and a half between dealing with the front desk manager and having to get breakfast while they found us a room. We paid full price for a room but only got to use it for a few hours and fewer than expected. There are too many other options for Phoenix Airport hotels and I would suggest investigating those before using the Doubletree Suites.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and can assure you this is not the normal level of service that our guests have come to expect from the DoubleTree Suites Phoenix. We will certainly use your comments as a training tool to tighten up our room inspection and check in process. I am hoping you will give us another chance in the future to show you why we are a multiple service award winning hotel.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We'd booked a one night stay at the Doubletree for our night arrival into Phoenix. After our evening flight from Toronto, we grabbed a cab from the airport. I selected this hotel due to its close proximity to the airport knowing we would be arriving into Phoenix at around 1:00am EST. The taxi was about $16.00 dollars to the hotel. It was late and we were tired and a bit little grouchy. Upon arrival at the hotel, the front desk pleasantly greeted us and asked how our flight was. We begrudgingly said so-so. The front desk responded by saying "Maybe an upgrade to one of our suites would help improve your night." This was unexpected and perked us up some. The front desk completed our check-in with fresh baked cookies (which were delicious) and we were off to our room.

Hotel
The hotel lobby, reception and dining/lounge facilities are inside whereas the rooms face inwards in an octagonal shaped open air lobby with a little palm garden terrace in the centre. There are about 5 or 6 floors as well as a pool. There is a lounge and restaurant and buffet breakfast was included in our stay. The buffet was really good with a broad selection of dishes.

Room Description
The suite came with a kitchenette, living room, and bedroom with a huge wall unit in the master bedroom and two tvs. Water and coffee are included. The bathroom was very nice as well and everything was extremely clean. The space was also very quiet which is important to me as I'm a light sleeper.

Overall the hotel exceeded our expectations and was the perfect place to grab some comfortable shut-eye and breakfast in close proximity to the Phoenix airport before the start of our trip. I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: I believe the higher the room the better. If you arrive late, ask if you can be upgraded to a suite...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. If only you could have stayed longer to take bigger advantage of the many amenities you experienced during your one night with us. We hope to see you back again soon.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed to 'overnight' to recover from our flight, having just spent 10 hours in a plane from the UK! Our initial room was too far for my husband to walk with crutches, but there was no problem at all changing to a more convenient one. What a pleasure to walk in to the sitting room, with comfortable chairs and large flatscreen TV, on into the bedroom with the most amazing mattress and pillows I've ever slept on, and where there was another large flatscreen TV! I wish we could have stayed longer! The staff were very helpful - the cookies very tasty - and bottled water offered a great touch. Our deal included breakfast which we enjoyed very much. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

If you travel enough all hotels start to blend into one shapeless blob in your memory; that goes double for airport hotels, even more so for chains. This is why our one night stay at the Doubletree stands out.

There are certain things that you expect at a Doubletree, the warm cookies at reception, a certain decor, that kind of thing. The interesting thing is that this one stands out. Reception was just that much friendlier, the rooms roomier, and the restaurant offered really good food.

A hotel that exceeds expectations. What a concept.

And yes, it's very conveniently located to both downtown Phoenix and Sky Harbor.

Room Tip: Book early if you possibly can. It makes a great big difference on the price.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Marysville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My girlfriends stayed here for a long weekend to just soak up some some and relax. No car rental. The bus drops off in front and only a block from the tram. Store and places to eat close by. Breakfast buffet was nice wash morning.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Whidbey Island, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

This hotel is convenient to the airport, Light Rail and most Phoenix tourist spots. The staff was friendly and efficient and the breakfast buffet was above average with wide variety.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Phoenix? Share your experiences!