“One more item checked off my bucked list” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #11 of 105 Activities in Phoenix
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Hot Air Expeditions is proud to provide hot air balloon flights in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. We've been operating locally in the Valley of the Sun for over 22 years and voted the "best ballooning in Phoenix" by Fodor's Travel for 18 years in a row! We provide morning flights daily, year-round and afternoon flights are offered seasonally, November through March. All flights include gourmet catered fare from Vincents on Camelback, along with a champagne toast and flight certificate! The check in site is at The Deer Valley Airport (704 W. Deer Valley Road, Phoenix, AZ 85027), or we can pick you up at your hotel!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
“One more item checked off my bucked list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

While on a trip to Arizona I had the opportunity to fly with Hot Air Expeditions. I called the resort we were going to stay at and the concierge recommended them. I was picked up at my hotel (at 4:50am :-) and taken out with other folks to that day's liftoff site. The pilot, Patrick, was outstanding. He even gave me the opportunity to photograph the inside of the balloon as it was being inflated by peeking through a panel in the side of the balloon. Setup of the balloon and preparations to lift off were smooth, efficient and fun to watch.

Once aloft Patrick gave us a lot of information about flying the balloon and what we were seeing as we floated along. He initially skimmed some nearby hills, rising over them and decending softly into a little valley beyond them. He seemed to hold the balloon still as he waitied for another balloon from their company to make it's way over the same hill. Quite a sight to watch. While we floated gently among the hills Patrick pointed out the many plants and other interesting things we could see from only about 50' feet up.

After a little bit we lifted out of the little valley and rose up into a beautiful cloudless sky. Without realizing it we rose up to a little over 7,000 feet. While in the balloon there is no sensation of movement. Not the elevator experience I expected. In fact, later, while we were on our way down (we didn't know it) Patrick asked for a business card from anyone and when he got one he folded it into quarters and demonstrated how it would fall from the balloon. To our surprise, the piece of paper rose above the balloon. Patrick explained that the paper was really falling, but we were decending faster. We couldn't feel it at all. There was the occassional flutter of our hair or collar on our shirt. He explained that it was only when we picked up another air current and were gently being nudged in another direction.

Landing was a couple of soft bumps. Then the ground crew arrived and we left the balloon. The crew quickly and efficiently packed the equipment away. But we were still busy. A very nice breakfast of quiche (warm too) and fruit, pasteries, cheese, orange juice and of course champagne.

When all was done we were returned to our hotels where the memory of a great adventure was played over and over in our heads.

If you have the opportunity, TAKE IT!!!!!!

Colts
“Fabulous and Romantic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband and I heard about this activity while staying at the Biltmore hotel for a business conference. The concierge made the arrangements and we were promptly picked up at 515AM by Keith. He was very courteous, friendly and informative on drive. Felt a little nervous watching basket being put together, but fears melted away and were replaced by exhiliration and excitement upon climbing into basket! Loved everything about it! Watching other balloons, 14 in total flying with and around us. Skimming over the desert. Pilot Al was very entertaining and informative and really knew what he was doing! Felt very safe. Breakfast was delicious! Would highly recommend!!!

Pickerington, Ohio
17 attraction reviews
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

This is a great excursion and one we would highly recommend. We were picked up at our resort and taken for the ride of a lifetime. The ride in the balloon from pick up at the hotel to finishing off the champagne breakfast and the ride home was all first class. I don't think you could go wrong on this one - well worth the money!

toronto
10 attraction reviews
“a blast in the sky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Ok for anyone who has been considering a hot air balloon ride.... look no further! This is the place to go! I was in Phoenix for my birthday and as a surprise my boyfriend arranged a hot air balloon ride with Hot Air Expeditions. From the moment we were picked up, to the last goodbye the experience was perfect! The staff was welcoming and met us at the airport. You have to rise early though as pick up time is about 6 am for the morning flights. They then drive the van to the daily determined launching site. Stand aside as the efficient staff sets up the balloon for the ride and before you know it, you are climbing into a wicker basket about to take off.

Our pilot Patrick was not only personable and humourous but was easily able to point out wildlife, plants, cacti and points of interest as we were cruising along. We slowly rose higher and higher until we reached the maximum altitude of 9000 feet. (apparently we had a perfect flying day and so reaching this height is not always possible) The skies were clear, photos were amazing and the view was second to none. The total time in the air was about 90 minutes and when you land, the crew is there to meet you with a gourmet breakfast in the sun! We had quiche, chocolate filled croissants and fresh fruit. All very tasty.

As I said earlier, this was a birthday present and the staff at Hot Air Expeditions made it extra special..... they put a happy birthday sign on the side of the hot air balloon just for me and while having our breakfast, they had a cake and sang me happy birthday. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday or a more exciting way to spend it!

Arizona
“Great Hot Air Balloon rider”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

My wife, our daughter, and I took our first hot air balloon ride today. I think Hot Air Expeditions may be the biggest balloon ride organization in the Phoenix area. They did an excellent job - prompt start, good narrative while we were over the mountains, well organized when we landed, and very good champagne breakfast. We did the Sunrise ride (in the fall/winter/spring, they do an evening ride, too). Our pilot, Al, had 10 years experience - very good. We were all a little apprehensive, but the ride was very smooth. We were even in the clouds a little - nice!