“Looks good, feels bad!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Denver, Colorado
“Looks good, feels bad!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Location is convenient to convention and arts center. Rooms are tiny, halls are dark and low ceilinged -- felt like I was back in the 70's once I left the lobby. Two different days, the room was not serviced by housekeeping -- which is no big deal except that we really did run out of towels (even after re-using them) and we also had to call for toilet paper because when the room was attended to, housekeeping did not notice that. These are small things, but when you are traveling for a busy convention they eat up minutes and also create a sort of hassled feeling. One day I returned from a busy day of meetings and the room still had not been freshened up by 4 p.m. I called guest services and asked that they at least come up and take out the trash/exchange the towels before we returned at 9 p.m. It was still not tended to, so as we were preparing to sleep, we had to stay up and wait for housekeeping to do what they should have done at 9 in the morning or at 4 p.m. when I asked. The poor evening housekeeping staff looked at us like we were a nuisance, but it wasn't their fault-- or ours -- it was the previous shift's.

Note that at this hotel you only have the option to call "guest services" for everything -- no separate lines for the front desk or housekeeping. There was not one time that I called guest services and got directly to a person. You have to listen to a recording and then be put on hold when you call for help.

Next, the internet access in this property is arcane and byzantine. Aside from the fact that it costs $13.00/day, it is hard to access. The front desk had blocked ours (because we were listed under more than one name, but it was all on my credit card which they had on file downstairs) and after repeated requests to get access it was repeatedly impossible to log onto the internet. This problem persisted over multiple days and shifts even though the front desk said they would fix it. This headache forced me to go across the street to work and catch up on correspondence at Starbuck's. I am flexible and experienced at travel and willing to put up with a hurdle or two, but this was just dumb. After the first or second ask someone should have just made sure I got what I needed. I did call the 800 number on the card on the desk and the line was always busy. I have to say I NEVER have this problem at Marriotts -- even the downscale properties like Fairfield Inn.

There is a sort of internet cafe in the lobby with the offer of printing boarding passes free. It does work, but 9 out of 10 people get pretty confused about how to make it work -- and I am talking about sophisticated business travelers who find this property's particular log in to check in screens confusing. There is no reason for it to be confusing or for grown men and women to have to stumble around asking each other for help. I saw numbers of people decide to just leave and get their passes at the airport after being frustrated.

I went to the concierge at one point to inquire about transportation for a special event. She was on the phone on what was clearly a personal call ...giggling, making small talk with a friend or lover, while several of us stood and waited and the line grew longer.

And though this is an expensive convention hotel in a major downtown area, we were harrasssed by a homeless creep right in front of the property. The man followed us into the building and would've gotten into the elevator with us had we not retreated and asked the front desk to call security. Security was there in a jiffy and the fistfight did not last long. I know that this creeper was not the hotel's problem, but on the other hand I have never had to witness anything like this in any other fine hotel. Just a heads up to anyone coming down here for a convention, just because you are paying top dollar for this Sheraton doesn't mean you will be safer or more secure.

Three blocks up the street on Van Buren is a Springfield Suites hotel. It costs half as much, is probably just as safe and the rooms are bigger, the beds are bigger. Breakfast is free there, the internet is free there and it works and the pool is outdoors and about the same size as this one. For your money you will get a better night's sleep there, not have to wait as long at the elevator, not have to beg to get your room made up and only walk about a block further to get to the convention center.

We ate a $17 breakfast here that was not very good. It should at least be good in a property like this. No kidding, the waffles are just as good at that free buffet up the street at the SpringHill.

It has been a long time since I have felt this "had" by a chain property. More than one guest services/desk/housekeeping person had a chance to make the impression different, but instead I was made to feel like a nuisance. (Except for one employee at the front desk named Jess -- she was professional, positive and tried immediately to make things better)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

My stay at this hotel was a wonderful experience. I found the location was excellent for dining and culture. The sporting arena and ball park are within walking distance as well as the short rail.
I found the staff including housekeeping were excellent(Amelia Dequeiroz) nice. On my next visit to Phoenix, I will stay at the Sheraton Phoenix downtown.

North Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I am part of the USAirways flight crews that stay at this facility, and have enjoyed several overnights. The staff upon arrival go out of their way to welcome us regardless of the time of day. The rooms are immaculate and quiet, which benefits our work schedule. The fitness center is top grade. The restaurant and coffee bar are noteworthy. Location is hard to beat with all the sports complexes near by and other establishments. During the holidays, I felt at home with the lobby decorations....the train layout was phenomenal. Keep up the excellent service.

Hinesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

The best hotel, clean, staff super, maid services excellent, location great. I will come back again.

Irene

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

From the outside, the hotel looks older, but inside it must have been recently renovated. We were upgraded to the club floor which has a small lounge offering some snacks and non-alcoholic drinks (you can also buy alcohol) and most importantly free and speedy internet which saves around $15 per day. The lounge is is on the 28th floor and the rooms nearest the lounge are numbered 2828, 2827, 2826... we were further down the hall in 2810 but still managed to receive the free internet signal. The hotel has valet parking but the self-parking is under the hotel, so it's convenient and cheaper to park the car yourself. Only about a ten minute walk from US Airways Centre if you're there to watch the Suns play.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
We are exactly 2 years old, so it’s not renovation you are seeing; we are a brand new hotel and proud to be an anchor in the heart of the Downtown area. It’s such a great location because guests can walk to see major league baseball or basketball, concerts, or for great dining and shopping.

The next time you visit us, let our Concierge desk expand your world to our surrounding area. They do a great job of matching recommendations to the specific experience you are seeking.

I’m happy that you had a chance to experience our Club lounge while staying with us; hopefully Maribell took good care of you. In any case, we hope you return soon and look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm Regards,

LEO PERCOPO
Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

When I heard that our annual conference was in Arizona, I was hoping for Scottsdale and was a little grumpy when I heard, “downtown Phoenix!” The first night upon arriving I went to the District American Kitchen restaurant for a quick meal. That evening they featured a hanger steak entrée. I asked to have a Caesar salad with just the hanger steak (no sides) and they were quick to accommodate. The food and service were both excellent.

It's important to note that as a frequent traveler and the owner of a wine and gourmet food shop that I rarely eat in hotel restaurants. However, we ate here for three other meals because of the quality of the food and the service. In addition to quality food and service, they have a wonderful selection of regional draft microbrews and a great wine selection. I did venture out to two other restaurants while there, but frankly wished that I had not done so and they were inferior.

Belen Boll, assistant manager, was phenomenal, extremely knowledgeable and engaging! All of the wait staff was very attentive especially Narah Bradley who Belen asked to wait on us for our final function with clients. Also, when they bring the check for evening meals they bring an order of cotton candy with the bill. It’s a great touch!
I have been raving about this hotel and restaurant since the trip and am looking forward to my next trip to Phoenix.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2011
Downtown Phoenix has changed, hasn’t it? We are extremely proud of the changes and our location in the heart of the City.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant as much as you did. We have some very creative and hardworking Chefs that have turned our menu offerings into a very high caliber of taste and quality. As for Belen, she has been with us since the doors first opened, so we know she knows her stuff, but it is her love of people that makes her so successful at what she does.

We, like you, look forward to your next visit with us and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We were actually visiting a relative that was staying here for business. It had been a long time since I had eaten in down town Phoenix and we were looking for a place to eat. Kristin Brown was working the Concierge desk and we asked for her help. She took the time to ask what we were interested in and she also gave us some additional suggestions that she liked. We ended up at Sam's Cafe and had a wonderful experience. The little things are what make people stay and recommend a place to stay. I will be recommending Sheraton in the future.

Go Devils!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. Kristin, at our Concierge desk, is excellent at what she does because of her listening and people skills, so it does not surprise me at all that one of her recommendations turned into a wonderful dining experience for you and your relatives.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience and please come back and visit again soon.

Warm Regards,

LEO PERCOPO

Been to Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!