“Not what I expected for a Ritz” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Phoenix

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Phoenix to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Phoenix
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2401 E Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85016 (Camelback East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #64 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not what I expected for a Ritz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I accompanied my better half for a conference at the hotel. I figured it being a Ritz Calton in sunny Phoenix... well I figured wrong. We drove and pulled up to the valet. They were prompt in helping us out of the car. Check in was smooth and really friendly so positive points there! After check in, I realized I left a tablet in my car so went back outside to find the car already parked. Since there the whole outside drive was littered with cars, I hoped that wasn't the case. I inquired how far the car was and was told it was way underground. OK so I explained what I left and where it was in the car.... the look I got was like "you expect me to go get it?" I said it's no rush I'll just get it later after dinner when it's not busy.

The hotel lobby/hall/elevator was very nice and uppity up however the hallways/rooms are less desirable. The ceilings were a tad low for my other half who is 6'4 but the doors closing were very noisy. You can hear everyone door closing including when the staff are servicing the rooms which apparently they are most of the day since at 530 they were still cleaning rooms the day we arrived.

We were 2 rooms away from the elevator. It took a day to figure out the swooshing noise we heard all day and only a little bit at night was the elevator going by our floor. Funny thing is, we didn't notice when it stopped at our floor, only when it passed by very fast which was often.

The bathroom fixtures were old school and took some effort to turn. We left the sink running a few times because we didn't realize it was still leaking. We caught it after a few minutes...

What hotel DOESN'T have coffee in the room? Not even instant coffee... The Ritz in Phoenix. I guess they want you to order their room service. They do provide complimentary water, plenty of it so I give them some credit for that.

Internet is PER device so if more than one person is staying .... each person pays. NO fax in the business center, you need to go to the front desk.

Some good points is the fact the location isn't too far from Scottsdale. There are restaurants within walking distance across the street (underground walkway). A Starbucks is adjacent to the property but it's only open 6-5ish. Both times I walked over however, the line was 20 deep around 9am. It's popular esp when conferences are going on.

The best thing is the gym. One of the largest I've seen with good equipment. Dozen workout stations, free weights, 4 bikes, elliptical s, several treadmills. Attached locker room has showers, lockers, towels, etc... The pool is small.

Room Tip: Stay far from the elevator
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Grant D, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Phoenix, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Anthony 31,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very sorry to hear that your certain aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations. Feedback is extremely important to us, and I would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. If you would like to discuss further, I may be reached at 602-522-6670.

Thank you again and I hope that we have the opportunity to speak.

Warm Regards,

Grant Dipman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

You can tell this hotel was quite something in its hayday but now it is somewhat lack luster. Though the service staff was friendly, this hotel leaves something to be desired. I did enjoy the cocktail lounge.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Joy W,

Thank you very much for the feedback, and I am sorry that you felt your experience was somewhat lackluster. However, it is nice to hear your comments regarding the staff and the cocktail lounge. If you would to discuss your overall experience in more detail, please feel free to contact me on my direct line at 602-522-6670.

I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Upon a late arrival there was no one to valet our car or get our luggage - just not Ritz quality service. Parking seems to be an issue here as the valet service was spotty the next day also. Room was just average.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
j_wronski, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Phoenix, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit. I apologize for the lapse in service you experienced with our Valet team and Parking. Please know that I will personally address your concerns with our Director of Operations. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance; I hope that we can welcome you back at some point in the near future; we would sincerely appreciate the opportunity for you to experience our hotel and service at its finest.

Warm Regards,

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here for a business meeting. The staff was attentive and friendly. The hotel is not the most modern but it was not run-down in any way. The catered food was excellent, some of the best I've ever had at a business meeting. The gym was good. The hotel was within walking distance to several nice restaurants and good shopping.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great location and excellent service, which is usually a given at any Ritz property. My boyfriend and I stayed here during a business trip. The hotel is perfect for business trips, but the aging rooms and lobby aren't what I would want for a romantic getaway. The hotel is walking distance to Starbucks, Del Friscos, True Foods, some shopping and a funky little bar called the MercBar. Great running paths are right outside the property and your a short cab ride to anything else you may need.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had to set up relatively large business meeting with upwards of 23 people and the people I had to speak with up until then were just so helpful. There was Jennifer, which then later changed to Robert, and Stan. It was nice to walk in and have Stan, AV lead, be there and greet me with a hug and walk through how the projector and the sound worked.

All the niceties, however, started as soon as you pulled up to the front. Everyone was just so smiley and welcoming and they all just magically knew my name. Kind offelt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

JayLynn in the front desk helped me out a bit with some printing issues I was having, and if I ever needed anything for the business meeting there was always someone nearby to help with that as well.

The only thing I found a bit strange was the bed. It was King, but it had a weird foam pad on it. Initially, I thought it was to cover up a divot or something, but it seemed to have a divot itself and so I just slept on the edges of the bed as to not be "trapped" in the divot.

The location of the hotel is great, if you don't want to go to the in-house restaurant there's the mall literally across the street where you can eat. Our meeting room also had a nice view of Camelback Mountain.

The food catered food and drinks were delicious. The attention to detail for the beverage station alone was nice.

Great Falls, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This property was a great place for our business meeting. Property is updated and in line with what you would expect for Ritz-Carlton brand. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel has one of the best business centers I've ever experienced in a hotel, with 5-6 computers (no charge, and printers available free too) and good selection of daily newspapers, also without charge. Meeting facilities and catering were very appropriate. The mall across the street has some upscale shopping and reasonably priced restaurants, which helps avoid the need for travel logistics. Finally, the ride back to the airport was very effortless, with fixed price $29 towncars waiting without needing to be pre-arranged.

Room Tip: Request a room away from elevators
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Phoenix? Share your experiences!