“Great family fun” 4 of 5 stars

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8000 S. Arizona Grand Parkway, Phoenix, AZ 85044   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
#1 Staycation Spot in AZ!
Ranked #55 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Mesa, Arizona
“Great family fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Arizona Grand is a great place for the family. The Oasis Waterpark has two large slides, one smaller, winding slide, a nice, long lazy river, a wave pool as well as other swimming areas. There are tons of lounge chairs and shade. The area is nice and clean. There is one way in and one way out which, as a mom with children, I appreciate. Summer, during the week, is an awesome time to go.

The rooms are all suites with either a king bed or 2 queens and then a queen pull out sofa. The pull out bed is beyond ridiculous. The mattress is so thin you can see and feel every spring. It's brutally uncomfortable. I requested an additional comforter from housekeeping to try to cushion the mattress but they refused saying they could only give us a blanket. They ended up bringing us a very thin, worn and stained blanket which really did nothing to help the situation. Next time, We will bring a comforter or an egg crate or something from home to cushion the mattress. But, the rooms are clean and large.

Also, the elevators and ice machines weren't in working order. We were on the first floor - sent to the 3rd floor for ice but the ice machine wasn't working. Went back down, called the front desk again who sent up back up to the 4th floor - opposite corner - for ice. Pretty irritating after a long day at the pool.

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. And, if you're a return guest, they offer great discounts.

We ended up not eating at the Lobby Grill this time because they didn't have the breakfast buffet. Turns out they only offer that on the weekend. But, in the past, we've enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Michelle C,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on one of our greatest assets, our waterpark. We could not agree more with the praise. I'm glad you are able to enjoy the waterpark with your children. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, this time, with the pull-out bed, the elevators, and the ice machines. We were having trouble with our elevators, but that has been taken care of. I hope you will visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at the Arizona Grand for 4 nights this July while attending a conference for work. I have been to a number of other resort hotels in the Phoenix area and this one was definitely not worth the price they charge. Overall very bland. With the exception of having a water park, I'm not sure I would even consider it a resort. The grounds are unattractive and very little work is put into landscaping. The rooms resemble old embassy suites rooms. You have a small living/work/kitchenette with no refrigerator and a bedroom/bathroom. The furniture was old and dingy. One of my beds had a HUGE indention in it you could see even with the comforter on. The second bed was a little better but extremely soft and uncomfortable. The prices for food/beverages was also crazy. $4.50 for an ice tea or bottled water? Again not enough of a resort to warrant resort prices. The food in the lobby restaurant was good but overpriced. The one good thing was the service. Everyone I met was really friendly, from check in to restaurant staff. If I had paid for this myself I would have been quite upset. Actually I would have left after the first night. Certainly much better options in the area for equivalent price.

Room Tip: Most rooms seemed to have no view. Try to find a room with a view of something other than a parking...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear sakidog,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry the resort did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve our property. I'm glad, however, that you were able to experience our wonderful customer service. Our team works hard to give great service to all our guests. I hope you will consider staying with us again to give us another chance to wow you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Such a beautiful resort, great location and fun for whole family. Staff is so nice and very helpful. Reasonably priced to eat and hang at resort. Pools are so fun for all ages down to baby. Definitely will come back

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Morganseton,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. You touched on two of our greatest assets, our service and our waterpark. We could not agree more with the praise for both. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are always working to keep our property beautiful. We would love to welcome you back on your next visit!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed this past weekend (July 19-21, 2014) on a Travel Zoo deal. The Travel Zoo deal made the stay at least somewhat reasonable for a staycation. They still get you on the $40 per day resort fee and room taxes. At least the $40 resort fee includes the fantastic water park, which definitely is the highlight of the resort. Our total bill at check out was pretty outrageous for a two night stay, but we did it to ourselves. One day cabana rental ($350!!! I've spent much less for a cabana at much nicer properties in Hawaii, but it was worth it to us in the July heat), five of us eating and drinking a little excessively at the pool for two days, and two dinners out at Aunt Chilada's and Rustler's Roost led to me going a little over budget. They really get you on the drinks at this resort, more so than most it seemed to me. We did have a great time, though. The rooms themselves were a little tired looking, and the minibar/refrigerator did not work at all. We were upgraded at check in to a bigger room with an extra bath which was nice. Overall, the rooms are just OK, but we were only in them to sleep, so it was fine. The staff were reasonably friendly and helpful.

Dear AZJuliusDad,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. You touched on many of our great amenities that better serve guests. We do have wonderful restaurants on property, I'm glad you were able to enjoy them. Our waterpark is very popular, as are the cabanas, they provide a respite from the heat. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us. We hope you will consider us for your next staycation.
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Fun stay for families. I recommend bringing breakfast foods and snacks and water for your room. Resort foods and drinks are all ala carte and pricier than the movies. Nachos are the best buy for the money. You can bring water bottles in the water park but that is all.
Clean and friendly. Pools close at 10 and water park at 8:30 which is kind of a bummer on the weekend. Other than that worth while for a nice getaway.

Room Tip: The Camelback Suites are right by the water park which is nice. The rooms are pretty sound proof.
Dear Lauralux
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed the resort and had fun at the waterpark! We hope you will consider us for your next visit staycation.
Farmingdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Overall, this hotel exceeded my expectations. I stayed in a two-bed room in the Camelback suites. Room was huge, appeared new, clean, and had two tv's (one in bedroom and one in living room; both were brand new). My room also came with a balcony, which was used quite a bit.

The water park is where I spent most of my time during the day. It was fun for the first two days, but got a little boring towards the end. The other customers in the water park were respectable and no issues arose. I have read some reviews that this place is in the "bad neighborhood," but you would never notice (not like you are walking around outside the resort). The resort was clean and looked safe the entire time.

I went in July and my sister and her kids met me there. I had a good time and would stay again. Ordered room service. It was very tasty but a little pricey.

Also, yes the resort is big, but there is absolutely no problem walking from one end to the other. I did it in July with a 6-year-old, and didn't have a problem.

Room Tip: Balconies overlooking active streets tend to get noisy at night (I think deliveries). Never woke me...
Anthony J,
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa. I am so glad you enjoyed the rooms. We are always working to ensure our rooms are clean and maintained to the highest standards. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the resort overall. Phoenix, does get quite hot in the summer, I'm glad this did not become an issue for you. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Phoenix.
Gilbert, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Some of our friends were planning on doing a small staycation, and on a whim we decided to follow suit and book a room - which was very easy considering they were nearly at capacity. Overall - and after a few days I am still disappointed with the experience I had there.
Let me start with the goods - Arriving here was spectacular, from Zack who valeted our car, and Martha and Nick at the front desk who were attentive, smiling and willing to help in any way possible. The rooms are pretty good, well finished, clean, nice attention to detail, though it might be time to swap out some mattresses', as ours seemed to have a sink-hole in the middle. The young ladies in the Oasis pool were fantastic, quickly moving through the line and getting everyone situated. That's where the good ends, you figure that as an adult you may want a beverage or two - the bar staff at the bar right outside is what is preventing me from giving this location any additional stars - let's start with the basics, yes - they are busy - but you can't tell me a 15 minute wait before you are even acknowledged is acceptable, at the least give me a nod, eye contact, something. Then comes the even more disappointing part - If I am paying $11 dollars for a margarita, it had better be consistent and pretty tasty - nope, completely inconsistent, most were too heavy on the sour mix, one set was just right, and the last set was painful to finish - they had run out of tequila, and we had to wait just a minute or two - definately a short handed pour on that set. The last complaint I have is whatever happened to service with a smile? being in the hospitality business, I appreciate it when someone goes above and beyond - and they are rewarded, the barstaff was tipped roughly 24% for their trouble, and still failed to deliver a consistent experience.

Room Tip: Try the villas' - depending on the size (and there are two) you get a full kitchen with fridge...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nathan S,
Thank you for taking the time to remark on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not all you hoped it would be. While I am pleased that you had a good experience at check-in, I'm very disappointed that the rest of your stay wasn't up to standard. I apologize for your experience at the waterpark. Everyone deserves service with a smile! I am sorry the drinks were inconsistent, as well. Please, never hesitate to speak to an associate, especially the front desk. We will do anything we can to ensure you are satisfied. We, at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa, pride ourselves in providing a high level of service to our guests we are sorry to have fallen short in your case. We sincerely hope you will return someday allowing us to demonstrate how important your business is to us.

Been to Arizona Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!