“Hotel or Halfway House” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore

You added Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5235 N. 16th St., Phoenix, AZ 85016 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #118 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Boulder, Colorado
“Hotel or Halfway House”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

I am still wondering if this place is a hotel or a halfway house for the down and out. I saw very few people who looked like they were on vacation. There were some pretty unsavory looking characters in the mix, including some people who leered at us in a menacing way. We witnessed a medical emergency involving a handicapped man who was clearly drunk.There were a lot of people hanging around in the parking lot or by the pool area smoking. It also looked as though guests were letting in people who were not actually clients of the hotel, as the door was left open as is if for non-guests to enter. On my last sleepless night there I heard the door opening and closing all night long. We woke at 5 AM to start packing our car and found a group of men smoking in the parking lot. We couldn't tell if they were guests or not.
The staff were pretty much useless and tried to get away with the minimum amount of customer service. I saw staff standing around smoking right outside the doors. I also wondered if staff members are involved with some of the unsavory characters who stay there, allowing them to let strangers in the door.
I concur with all of the negative reviews about that place and wish I had read them before we arrived. I feel we survived our stay at that place.

Room Tip: Look at your room very carefully first. Look in all the drawers and cabinets and between the bed she...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

During our transition after purchasing our new house, we lived in this extended stay hotel for a couple months. The location was quietly and conveniently nestled in the nucleus of metro Phoenix. The staff, (including the manager, front desk, housekeepers and maintenance) was extremely accommodating and absolutely dependable. We felt safe and at home. The rates were irresistibly economical.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the staff and accommodations of the hotel. It is great to know that you enjoyed our location and that our staff made you feed at home. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

My husband and I chose this Extended Stay America late in the evening simply because it was only a block from the car dealership, where, unfortunately, our two-year-old car had to be towed to on the first day of our Arizona vacation due to engine problems. I'm happy I didn't read all the negative reviews before we stayed here, because I guess we're some of the rare guests who actually had a positive experience.

Our room was clean (and no funky smells), had a good flat screen tv, and a comfortable bed, which was all we cared about. We put the air conditioner on the constant low fan setting, which made for a comfortable white noise, apparently blocking out any and all noises that may have come our way. We never heard anything either from the hallway, upstairs or outside. There are signs saying it is a non-smoking hotel, and I did not notice any smoke smells in the hallway or even see anyone smoking outside the building, which was such a relief because I'm sensitive to smoke smells.

We ended up having to stay there for three nights, and every employee we met during our stay was friendly, helpful and nice.

The only one complaint I might make is that the towels weren't very soft. We also skipped the grab-and-go breakfast (fruit, granola bars, coffee, etc) and instead opted to head out for breakfast.

But for all the bad luck we had with our car during our stay in Phoenix, we were happy with our stay at this Extended Stay America and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that you found your bed comfortable and enjoyed the flat screen TV in your room. As well, it's great to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful during your visit. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our team. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

I booked this place for me and my mother and it was the worst mistake ever! The staff is extremely rude! They seemed to only care about gossiping at the front desk and text on their phones. We asked them to bring up fresh towels to our room and was rudely told that they are not full service hotel. And that's fine but when I went down to the front desk they were all just sitting around doing absolutely nothing! When we looked in the cabinet in our kitchenette and found roaches! Since I already paid for the room, we just moved all our things to my family members home that we were visiting. I'm planning a trip back to this part of Arizona, but will never return to this disgusting hotel. Oh did I mention the prostitutes and people that were high on drugs that we saw roaming the halls in this hotel? Do not book if you have any standards at all. Wish I could rate this place 0!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for you having found pests in your room. In response to your feedback, I am going to have pest control come out and service our hotel. As well, I apologize that you received such poor service from our staff. We will use this information to train our staff to better assist our guests. I would also like to apologize that you did not feel safe at our hotel due to other guests. My staff and I take safety very seriously, I will work intensely with my security staff to prevent this experience from being repeated. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please contact me, at pbi@extendedstay.com, or at the hotel directly. I would love the opportunity to make this right for you. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had requested a smoking room and did not get it. Because we did not book directly with the hotel. The room was more than satisfactory, just that I am handicapped and had to keep going outside to smoke

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. We are glad to read that you were pleased with your stay, but disappointed that we were not able to accommodate your room request. If you visit with us again, please feel free to contact us before your stay and we will try to accommodate you to the best of our abilities.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The only bright spots of my time there was Rey in maintenance, Yvonne in housekeeping (laundry) and Selena in housekeeping.(cleaned my room).s
The staff was rude, disrespectful and in general seemed to just not care or be bothered. The general manager was dismissive of my concerns and did not even bother to hide the fact that she could not be bothered. There is nothing like trying to talk to someone and they stop paying attention to you and start working on the computer.
I had to move twice while I was there and charged nightly rate instead of my weekly rate during both moves. I did not ask to move, why should I have to pay extra ? The first move took a week for them to get it together which held up the construction crew for renovations.
Asked the front desk for a new coffee maker, did not only not receive a new one, I had to go hunt one down and was only given a pot and told that I could fill it up with coffee form the grab and go bar, as a full coffee maker was not available.
Another occasion I asked for help to open the window - nothing.
The weekly room rate was never the same, each week it was a different amount, when asked how much I would need for upcoming week, was told it would be the same as always. . . which would be. . . ??? (anywhere from 150 to 250$).
Key cards each time it was reset for the next week, I would not be able to get into my room or the building for the matter the next day. On the weeks I offered up the key card to be set, I was told it did not need to be. . . and yet again the very next day I was unable to get in the building or my room because it has expired. The automatic response from them was for me to keep the key card away from my car keys and phone.
I was told by one staff member that he was not going to assist me because he decided I was yelling instead of seeing how much physical pain I was in and on the verge of tears plus the frustration I was experiencing.
Another staff member assigned to clean my room that particular week, unwilling to wait for me to finish getting my stuff together for work, started cleaning in the exact spot where I was trying to get my stuff together. I had to tell her she was holding me up and to start elsewhere or leave and come back in a few minutes. That day very little was cleaned – the bed was made and carpet vacuumed. The bathroom sink and toilet were cleaned but not the tub or the floor. Kitchen was untouch. I take a bath later that day and see mildew in the seam between the wall and tub !!
The staff charged my credit card even after expressing my concerns and asking them not to.
When I had lost track of time to extend another week, I was called and told I needed to vacate and that I was causing issues. The general manager demanding me to immediately return and vacate the room and upset when I would not comply. I told her I would be in later to pay for another night – that’s when I was told I was causing problems and she had to say to “NO” to someone who wanted the room. Which reminds me I had asked for my stay to be extended to Aug just before the moves and renovations started.
The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I had NOWHERE else to go except for my Jeep, and its summer ! I went to the Biltmore location because of the location, and was going to transfer to the Scottsdale location hoping for better service, but then while moving I managed to bust the door stopper and when told I had to pay $70 for repair I told them I needed a bill as that was incredibly excessive. Now considering the extra charges (daily room rate vs weekly- multiple times) I suggest they revise the billing to reflect the weekly rate and will see that they have received more than the $70 to fix the door stopper.
When leaving to get final billing, two of the staff member start speaking in a foreign language as if I was not even standing there.
I am not scum of the earth, I am someone however trying to rebuild my life and back on my feet and all they did was add more stress. I’m sorry but this was one of the worst experiences I have ever had and will share with everyone my experience and send them elsewhere. . . unless they of course are into being treated badly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed to read that you received such poor service from my staff. Please accept my apologies that they were not able to adequately assist you with your key or in your requests for a coffee maker. These issues are unacceptable. I am so sorry that you encountered such rudeness and that my staff did not make you feel at home, as they should have. As well, I apologize for the billing issues and confusion you encountered during your stay. I will be meeting with my front desk staff to ensure that we are better assisting and explaining our billing process with guests. I am also disappointed to read that you experienced cleanliness issues in your room after it had been tended to by housekeeping. Please know that I will be meeting with my housekeeping staff to review our cleanliness standards and procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. As well, please know that I will be meeting with our entire staff to discuss customer service standards to ensure that your experience with poor service at our hotel does not happen again. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at pbi@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Lenox, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

My little apartment at Extended Stay America was perfect!
It was clean, comfortable bed, delicious pool and hot tub and well equipped kitchen.

The grab and go breakfast had delicious chocolate cup cakes. It was close to airport which is a plus.

I would choose this place to stay for a few days. I only needed it for one night because I was flying out the next morning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our free grab-and-go breakfast and our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Biltmore? Share your experiences!