“Old world charm? Well, it's old anyway.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel San Carlos

You added Hotel San Carlos to your Saves list
Hotel San Carlos
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   202 North Central Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85004 (Central City)   |
Ranked #97 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Los Angeles, CA
“Old world charm? Well, it's old anyway.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2004

The website for this hotel is very misleading. Maybe once thier remodeling is finished it will be nicer, but I felt it was really misleading. The hotel is not in the greatest neighborhood, I pulled up and a few intoxicated patrons from the bar next door were hanging out and "rough housing" in front of the hotel, I had computer equipment with me so I was reticent to get out of the car. I drove around the block until they left. The wireless internet was not available as advertised, there is no valet and the parking is a block and a half away, so if you are lugging heavy computer equipment, good luck. I finally found a spot on the street but when I parked I could not help but notice several men sitting and sleeping on the street right near where I parked. The gym is the Y which is 4 blocks away which is no big deal, except the streets were not well lit and again, it's not the greatest area, so I had to pass on my workout. Finally, the shower flooded the tiny bathroom, it had a shower curtain and that apparently wasn't enough. I used most of my towels cleaning up the mess. The cherry on the sunday was the jackhammer that woke me up at 4:35 am in the morning. There is alot of construction going on in this area, but 4:35 am?! I was a mess for my meeting the next day since I was operating on 3 hours sleep. I originally was booked for 3 nights, I checked out the next morning and moved to a hotel in Scottsdale. Further drive but OH so nice and quiet! I normally love historic hotels, but this did not make the grade at all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

after canceliing my reservations three weeks in advance, the management proceeds to wait two weeks to take money from my account. i had ordered tickets to D-back games along with my room, they later claimed that they were non-refundable, if i had known i would have picked up the tickets. we went through the management layers until we got to the general manager Bruce Bonds, who was the rudest man i have ever talked to on the phone,. his entire staff was rude on the phone each time we dealt with them on this matter, they claimed to have told us of the non-refundale tickets. I would not recommend any one stay at this hotel.

Been to Hotel San Carlos? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel San Carlos

Address: 202 North Central Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85004
Location: United States > Arizona > Central Arizona > Phoenix > Central City
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #97 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Hotel Class:3 star — Hotel San Carlos 3*
The Hotel San Carlos is Phoenix's only historic bouitque hotel and has been since 1928. Each of our 128 guest rooms has been individually decorated. Hotel San Carlos is convenietly located in the heart of downtown Phoenix's financial,goverment,and entertainment distric, just steps away from many fabulous local Phoenix Attractions.Walking distance of the convention center. We look forwards to having you stay with us and experience a touch of Phoenix history during your stay at Hotel Sand Carlos. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, AAA Travel Services, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel San Carlos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
San Carlos Hotel
San Carlos Phoenix

If you own or manage Hotel San Carlos, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.