“First Class experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 27 Activities in Peoria
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hook Up Outfitters is Arizona's premier fishing company. We offer guided fishing and fly fishing tours throughout Arizona, and we fish for bass, stripers, rainbow & brown trout and carp. We also offer a full service tackle shop and fly shop on Lake Pleasant just north of Phoenix, as well as a full gear rental department. If you're planning on fishing in Arizona, we'd love to help any way we can!
Cary, North Carolina
“First Class experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I just spent 2 terrific days fishing with The HookUp Outfitters. Since I am a fairly experienced fly fisherman, but had never fly fished for bass, I thought I would give this a try. The HookUp Outfitters teamed me up with guide Dale Merry. Although the stripers were not to be enticed to the fly that day, Dale and I had a great time searching and hunting for fish. At the end of the day we had hooked and landed a fair number of largemouth and white bass. What was amazing for me on this trip was knowledge I gained from Dale, and the comraderie we shared on the water. Exactly what every sportsman looks for in a guided trip: good company, terrific conversation, gaining knowledge and experience, and hopefully hooking into a few fish. On my 2nd day, I was teamed up with Mike MacFarland to fish Oak Creek. Mike explained the type of stream we would be in, what to expect, and more importantly, what not to expect. As an experienced trout fisherman, I can only say that Mike exceeded my every expectation as a guide, just as Dale had done the day before. We had a great day on the water, hooked and released an unbelievable number of fish (both rainbows and browns), and missed more strikes and rises than I hooked. If you're looking for a great day on the water, with terrific, knowledgeable guides, experienced teachers, and good conversationalists, these guys are just the folks you are looking for. For me, after 30 years of flyfishing many of the Blue Ribbon streams and rivers in the US with numerous guide services, you want to come off the water at the end of the day with some new knowledge and having made a new friend. These 2 guides and the HookUp Outfitters are among the very best that I've come across and I've fished with some of the premier guides from some of the industry's best. I can't say enough good things about these folks.

Visited October 2012

“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Since the weather had cooled off substantially over a very short period of time & the water level was down I didn't know what to expect. Our guide Mike McFarland found a great spot and our group landed quite a few large strikers. The time passed before you knew it. It was a great time & gonna be an even better BBQ in a few days!

Visited October 2012
Stevensville, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome fly fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I visited Sedona and wanted to learn fly fishing and actually go fishing while we were there. I contacted The Hook up and we were booked. Our guide Dale, contacted us and picked us up at the resort. He came prepared with gear ( in our specific sizes ), water and even a pair of socks for my wife. He took us to an area on Oak Creek where the water was shallow and home to a flat piece of concrete for sure footing. As beginners we sure appreciated it.
From this point on, Dale proved to be not only a master fisherman, but a man of unmatched patience. Over the next hour and a half or so, we learned all of the basics of fly fishing from different flies to false casting and roll casting. This guy was unbelievable! We left the safety of the concrete slab and headed upstream. Dale had already taken care of paying for parking before he picked us up so after a short walk, we were back in the stream. After a short history of the German Brown Trout and the farm stocked Rainbow Trout, we started to fish. What a day! We caught numerous fish. Dale was like an excited cheerleader cheering and joking with each fish.
I knew that fly fishing was going to be fun but I had no idea we would have such a great guide and incredible experience. We spent five hours in a beautiful mountain stream and have a memory of Arizona that we will never forget. Thanks to The Hook up and Dale Merry.

Visited July 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Well organized, prepared, experienced, and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had never fished from a boat before and jumped on the opportunity to purchase the groupon for a 1/2 day charter for up to 8 people.

We received a confirmation call from our guide (Larry) the night before our trip, and even though we arrived early the next morning, Larry was already setup and waiting for us. Larry was extremely efficient and within minutes of signing our wavers, we and all of our stuff (drinks/towels/snacks etc.) were on the water with poles in hand. He had a great sense of humor and was very attentive, adjusting reels for our left-handed fishers, making sure our bait was fresh, and had a net and new pole waiting the minute we reeled in a catch so we could get back to fishing while he unhooked and stored the bass.

Needless to say, it's been hard going back to having to untangle my own line.

Though the boat will fit 9 (8 of you +1 guide), I think it was perfect for 6 adults (the 5 of us + Larry), since we then had room to maneuver around the boat to talk, try out new fishing spots, and fetch drinks. There's not much, if any, shade provided by the small canopy over the helm so bring lots of sunblock & be prepared to take a dunk in the water during summer months.

Visited May 2012
“Fun time and relaxing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Unfortunely, one week prior we had a cold fron t run through the valley and this was making the fish go deep and not active. Wait a minute by Sat 3/24 the weather was back to 80 and the water temp was coming back up and we were on the fish early. Between four of us we caught 30-35 Stripped Bass by 10 am (kept 18). Our guide Mike was patient and gave good pointers on catching the Stripped Bass (light hitters and bait stealers).

Visited March 2012