“Long on Style short on everything else” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Peoria
California, USA
“Long on Style short on everything else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Checking in at 9PM we were directed to a room on the first floor; first set of keys did not work....back to the desk for 2nd set (in 100* @ night weather) to find that the room was unmade, bed had a bloody pillowcase on the bed, wet towels on the floor. Now we have wised up and call the front desk for a new room! Directed to a new room on the 2nd floor & someone will meet us with keys. Up we go in the elevator dragging our luggage behind. Cannot find this room, finally someone call out to us "Hey, you have to come back down the elevator, the room you have does not have an elevator!" Really?? So we will be dragging everything up stairs? Apparently, with this kind gentleman's assistance.
Good news! The AC is working. The Master side of this unit is very long on style and short on function. That, of course, is a personal opinion but weird light switch placement, showers that flood the floor unless aimed at the wall (the suggestion of the hotel engineer!) blackout curtains that almost work, are functions I expect. The 2nd day I was summoned to pick up a parking pass that was not issued upon check in. Don't want to be towed! And I needed to get the keys re-done AGAIN as they worked the room but not the pool gate...sigh! So to get the parking pass I visited with Kathleen who gave me the "property pitch"...OK thanks I understand this is a time share! Now I am off to the desk for my 4th set of keys....I wait while other guests are assisted & now it is my turn and the desk person picks up the phone. This is my PET PEEVE!! I am a person standing here in front of you and you pick up the phone? You never know I could be there to give you money or order a service. That did it for me. I called the manager who was very sorry for all my trouble and offered to "do something to make my stay better what would that be?". I never understand why it is the customers problem to tell management what would make their stay better....maybe this IS part of the problem??....my reply was she would know what the hotel thought was appropriate. We did received a 25% off coupon for the cafe. So I assumed that her thought was: me spending more money at her property would be good for me.
We were constantly reminded of "the owners vision". Perhaps he needs to come and really take a look. Missing pool tile, seriously un-even flagstone for a pool deck, ripped cabana coverings do not add to the experience at all.
Unless you MUST stay in this part of Peoria go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I had read some negative reviews about this resort, so I decided to call ahead of our arrival to make sure that we were in the same room for our entire trip (we used timeshare points for part of our visit, then were going to pay cash for extra nights..and we didn't want to have to switch rooms during our visit). Anyway, after calling to ask that they double check the reservation, the girl who answered the phone at the front desk told me that "she was the only person working there at the moment and she was very busy and to call back". This left me speechless, as I was a future guest with a confirmed reservation and she told me she was too busy to help me. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

There was confusion before our arrival, as I received a strange voicemail confirming our dates of arrival and departure and the dates were wrong (even though I had called to confirm the correct dates earlier).

Upon check-in, though, everything worked out fine. The part I didn't like was that they told me I had to remember to call the front desk on certain mornings and "recheck in". It was a minor inconvenience. Not a huge deal, but I really don't understand why their reservation dept. can't keep things straight as far as dates go. When we pay to stay at a resort, we don't really like to have to be bothered by silly stuff like that. That's the hotel's job, in my opinion.

On to the room. We had a master suite, which is a 1 bedrooom with full kitchen and pull out sofa bed in the living area, which our 5 yr old slept on. The sofa bed was really uncomfortable, but it was ok, because kids dont care about that anyway. The king size bed was not very comfortable, tolerable, but definitely, not posh. I found a few hairs in the sheets and on my pillow and in the shower. Yuck. Other than that, it was a really nice room. Nice furniture, and our favorite part was the full kitchen. We really enjoyed making meals and enjoying them either out on the patio or in front of the nice big flat screen in the living room. It was nice to have a DVD player for movies. The bathroom was nice too, with 2 separate sinks and vanities and a nice shower.

Housekeeping was, to our knowledge, "a la carte"..as in you pay for it if you want it. We didn't really need it and didnt request it, however we returned to our room one afternoon and found that housekeeping had been there. They didn't come by for the next 4 days, then on the 5th and 6th day, they knocked at the door in the morning and we had to tell them we didn't need anything. It was not a huge issue, but it was kind of confusing and haphazard.

The pool was the best part about this resort. We would return just for this!

I think this resort has great potential, but needs to get more organized and get a more knowledgable staff.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Union, Il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

We too were there the week of March 21, our room was not ready when we arrived at 11pm after a 26 hour car ride. After 2 hours (now 1am) 8 people in our party, including an elderly grandma and 5 kids were given a room that sleeps 3/4. Couldn't give us any cots or even extra blankets and pillows. Most in our party had to sleep on a dirty floor with coats to cover themselves. Next day were to get the adjoining room, so we unpacked and went grocery shopping, when we asked for the key... yep you guessed it they gave it away to someone else. So now we spent the whole day. repacking (our stuff and the groceries we put away), being mis-placed for awhile, being moved, and then re-unpacking. So, that whole day was wasted. New room was extremely dusty, oven was broken,leak in the bathroom, hole in the screen door, and 4 wasps nests on the patio. When we complained they gave us only a $50 certificate for the pool cafe. Well at $9 for just a sandwich alone, that doesn't nearly cover 8 people. The day when 1/2 of our party went to use it, the cafe was out of most items and they were extremely rude. Other people were also complaining about mixed up orders and how long it was taking. One group gave up and left to go to McDonalds. Our compromised order took 2 1/2 hours and when we went to pick it up we overhood the staff talking badly about all the costumers at the pool, including us, which i yelled to thm that we could here them. Their response was to close the cafe early. We also were told we'd get a refund for 2 nights, and we checked on it everyday, asking for a receipt (not a relaxing vacation), but never got one either. And, overall every staff member was rude, whether we were asking for more towels or for directions or basically anything. And, other reviewers are right, its not that pretty or luxurious of a place. pictures are mis-leading. They shouldn't even be allowed to advertise this place.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I was really looking forward to our stay here. I had read the reviews and they were hit and miss, so I thought everything would be better. Well it wasn't really. It was just mediocre and for $195 a night, in PEORIA where there is absolutely nothing going on, it's just not worth it.

We had a "2 bedroom condo" that was really a master bedroom adjoined with a studio. The rooms were clean, but the outside building and facilities were a bit instiutional. I wouldn't call this place luxurious at all!

Beds: just a bit better than Motel 6. The sheets were just a bit softer than sandpaper. I am not a total sheet snob, but I do like quality bedding. This was not.

Pool: was a bit dirty and the water was cloudy, ew. The kids did enjoy the slide.

Front desk: got a call from them stating we were supposed to be checking out, very strange since we had a reservation till the next day. Had to spend 20 minutes figuring all that mess out. Didn't think they were very friendly either.

overall, I wouldn't really recommend the place, and I certainly wouldn't stay there again unless it was about $100 a night.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

We travel often and this was one of the most frustrating experiences we've ever had, especially for the price. I was similarly both overcharged AND double-charged and had to call the manager to get it fixed. Keep an eye on your statements! We were also with a wedding group at Blackstone (GORGEOUS) and could not get in the room beforehand. They were completely inflexible on the checkout time (never stayed in a hotel that wouldn't give you a free hour, especially after checking in so late), a maid knocked on our door before 8AM, and our friends' shower was full of hair. What does it take to clean and turn a room when check-out is so early and check-in is so late? We also heard loud music from the wedding on-site past midnight and did not get a sense of "resort" at all. FYI for pets - we weren't traveling with ours, but I noticed their pet policy was a non-refundable $250. The room was large and they have a monopoly on the location, but overall not worth it.

lenny02
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

First impressions make all the difference...called to reserve a room for a wedding on that side of town, mind you, VERY far side of town with little near it. I was told there were no studio rooms available and would have to purchase a more expensive room (which I did not do). The next day, I called back, spoke to someone else, and was able to actually book the cheapest room available. Upon the day of check-in, I was told that the room was not available at check-in time (4 pm) even after being told that morning we could check in EARLY. The rooms were very nice and spacious, but walls were thin and I could hear people's conversations in the bathroom next door. 2 days after staying there, I come to find that my account had an additional $200 charge for no apparent reason, plus I still have not received the $100 deposit back that I was told would be refunded upon check-out. Customer service was shabby...I don't think there is enough staff or planning to prepare for all the guests there. Hopefully, my account will be refunded as I was told. Unfortunately, I would choose to drive out of the way rather than take a chance and stay there again.

UAdms
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Things must have changed a lot since a lot of the reviews from 2009. My boyfriend and I stayed there last night for a wedding at the nearby Blackstone Country Club and we won't be returning. Cibola Vista describes themselves as a "luxury resort" that offers "the finest amenities and comfort". I would leave out the words "luxury", "finest", and "comfort"... Then you've got a more accurate description.... "a resort that offers amenities".

Check-in isn't until 4pm. We were going to a wedding so we called ahead to see if we could check in at 3pm. We were told there were no guarantees and that we'd basically just need to show up and hope the room was ready. Fortunately we decided not risk it -- my friends' room wasn't ready by the 4pm check-in. We drove back to check-in between the wedding ceremony and the reception. The lady in front of us in line was arguing with the front desk that it was her 3rd time trying to check-in and her room still wasn't ready (this was at 5:30pm!!).

Thankfully our room was ready. We told the front desk person that we needed some sort of car service to get us back to the wedding asap. She just handed me a sheet of paper with about 20 different cab numbers on it and said to try calling. Most hotels I've been to (even more budget ones either have a shuttle or will call a cab for you.)

The pool area looked fun for families (water slides). The Jr Suite has a full kitchen and pull out couch. The bedroom is on the smaller side. Also, the bathroom lights are located on the opposite end, so you have to feel your way across in the dark at night. They had Bath and Body works coconut-lime products in the bathroom (a plus). The towels were pretty thread-bare. In the morning, I pulled back the shower curtain to take a shower and found hairs all over the bathtub, wall, and shower curtain. Ick.

We didn't shower and went to the lobby to check out by the 10am deadline. My friends, whose room wasn't ready by 4pm the day before, were told there was a fee to check out past 10am. So you can check people in late and not offer a discount, but impose a fee if someone checks out any later. Doesn't seem very fair. Housekeeping woke them up at 8am in the morning to clean the room, so doing the math, they start cleaning at 8am; check-in is at 4pm....That gives them a good 8 hours to get rooms clean and they still can't have rooms cleaned and ready by 4pm?? My friends were also over-charged for their room. They were told they couldn't process a refund and were given the manager's contact information. They are supposed to call about getting a refund.

Summary: The hotel is very "do-it-yourself" - no bell man/luggage service, no flexibility in accommodating guests, no extra help/service. Also not cleaned well. Don't expect a luxury hotel. I've stayed in budget hotels that have had better service and been much more accommodating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cibola Vista? Share your experiences!