“Great Rafting Trip - Horrible Ride Back to Peach Springs!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
Stockton, CA
8 attraction reviews
“Great Rafting Trip - Horrible Ride Back to Peach Springs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had concerns about booking this trip, but really wanted to raft the Grand Canyon so went ahead and did so on August 20, 2013. We drove to Peach Springs from Flagstaff and stayed at the Hualapai Lodge where the bus picked us up the next morning.

The rafting was amazing!! The rapids were great. The water was cold, but we dried off quickly because it was a warm day. We stopped and hiked to a waterfall during this day long trip. A basic lunch was provided - sandwich, water/soda, fruit, chips, etc. Perfect for this type of adventure.

All in all the day was amazing until the 2 1/2 hour ride back to the lodge in a bus with no air conditioning or windows that rolled down. Sweat was just rolling down everyone's faces. I was concerned about heat exhaustion because it was so stifling. The bus driver acted like it was a fluke the air conditioner didn't work, but by reading other reviews it seems it happens regularly.
Fortunately, half way back to the resort we stopped at a mini mart. While people were getting back on the bus I said I wouldn't get back on until the very last minute. The driver of another bus overheard me and offered us a ride because he was going to the same place and his air conditioning worked. We hopped on that bus so fast!! Someone should really look into the safety of this company and their vehicles. Other than that - definitely ride the rapids of the Colorado River- it was a blast!!

Visited August 2013

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
6 attraction reviews
“So worth the Money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Some of the reviews I read were mixed when I booked this trip for our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids aged 16 and 12). We really wanted to do some rafting on our Grand Canyon trip but all the other trips were multi-day events that didn't work with our schedules. The ride into the canyon is quite bumpy on an old school bus but the views as you descended were wonderful. The rafting was great. George was our guide and did a great job at getting us soaked on every rapid. I've rafted before in West Virginia and these rapids were much smaller. You also don't have to paddle with the Hualapai. The water was cold but it was a welcome relief from the hot air. Lunch was a filling deli sandwich and chips. The views were stunning again and George was great at pointing out key points as we went. The hike to the travertine falls was a bit slippery in some spots but between the guides and the other travelers it was amazing to experience. There was a bit of a wait for the helicopter ride but it was amazing. We included the skywalk (I'd skip that next time - too commercial) and it that gave us helicopter priority. The ride back to the lodge was in a 15 passenger van through the middle of no where. It was an experience in and of itself. A lot of reviews complained about this but we did have some air conditioning so I didn't think it was bad. The roads were bumpy but again - we were out in the middle of a desert. Bring some extra water or snacks for the ride home. We stayed at the lodge the night before and the night of the rafting trip. So glad we planned that as it would have meant spending 2 more hours in a vehicle to get somewhere else. The lodge's restaurant was very reasonably priced and offered a variety of food. Rafting with the Hualapai River Runners was definitely the highlight of our trip and who knows - we might have to do it again!

Visited June 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Absolutely amazing experience. Not for the faint hearted but worth every cent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I did this trip on our honeymoon. It was the most expensive thing we did but as the helicopter did fly we think it was really worth it. I can't believe people are moaning about getting wet - don't get me wrong we got 100% soaked, but what else would you expect on a rafting trip?! It was quite scary at first, they really are decent rapids and not for wimps, but once we went through the first set of big rapids and I knew I could hold on i started to relax and really enjoy it. Our guide Tyler was ace, really concerned about our safety and enjoyment and giving us great experiences like swimming in the river to cool off. The river is cold and I'm glad we went in August, but the shivering soon stops and is all part of it!! This isn't just a boat cruise down the river, there are lots of those if you are a bit less adventurous, this is something for more adventurous, less whingey souls!! I would have been disappointed without the helicopter flight though and was glad when they said it could fly, perhaps the cancellation policy needs to be changed and made way more clear. All in all, an unforgettably amazing experience.

Visited August 2013
“The transportation was horrible, but the rafting experience was amazing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I would have to say that the river rafting experience was an amazing and once in a lifetime moment. I loved all of the sight seeing and rapids.

My day was however ruined by the transportation service on the way back to our vehicle. We were picked up by a bus which was fine as it had windows for ventilation in the morning. However on the return trip back to our vehicles to go home, we were picked up in a charter bus... With no air condition, no ventilation, and the windows were not capable of opening ... This was a TWO HOUR drive back (actually took us 4 hours ) with sweat dripping from our faces, no fresh air, with no exageration the temperatures were over 100 on the bus and way over 100 in the back of the bus (where the engine is located) and no means of getting any relief ...

I confronted the lodge hotel staff who told us that "you are not the first person that has complained, in fact we receive complaints daily about this specific problem. However we are not associated with river runners, and it's unfortunate that no one is available to speak with you (the customer) after you have finished your raft trip"

When I asked why we had no ventilation or air on the bus, I was told by Sharon (the bus driver) that " you city folk are used to luxuries which I do not have on the reservation for which I am sorry, but that's how it is"

I guarantee on your reservation you do not pile people in the back of a house or moving vehicle with no fresh air, no windows capable of opening.

I do not like beig treated worse than an animal.

DO NOT USE this company if you are wanting to have a happy memory of your trip.

Again the rafting was great, but if you do decide to use this company... Hire a pilot to take you home in the helicopter instead.

Visited July 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
3 attraction reviews
“River Rafting the Colorado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

An outstanding adventure! River Rafting on the Colorado in late May, great weather - fantastic location, scenery - what more could you ask for? It was something I always wanted to do - and it measured up to my expectations.

We stayed at the Hualapai Lodge the night before - nice place, clean, but unremarkable. It's a simple motor hotel. In the morning we boarded buses to the river. Our bus ride was informative enough - it got more interesting as we drove out onto the Hualapai Reservation. The road has 17 miles of unpaved gravel road - so it is slow going. If you travel later in the year when temperatures are in the 100s you should know that the busses are not air conditioned - but you can lower the windows. ha.

We got down to the river and met our guide Nicky (a Hualapai Indian). My wife and I geared up - I had on neoprene booties, nylon water wicking clothes, my Harley Davidson rain suit (insulated for cold weather) because the river is 44 degrees cold...always cold. You will get wet - like it or not - you will be soaked. And if the rapids don't wet you the other guides will when they spray past you (all in fun). People were in simple shorts and T-shirts...which is more than adequate for smooth parts, and hiking around when we stopped - but not when hitting the rapids.

The river was high so we had numerous level 4 and 5 white water rapids to transverse. The good thing is (we're inexperienced at white water) you have experienced guides on motored boats - they can power through and around the rapids. The first 10 miles of the trip is all rapids with short smooth breaks in-between - long enough to catch your breath and reposition your grip on the boat - then the rest of the trip is a serene river float.

We stopped to have a sandwich lunch on one of the sand bar beaches. There was a short opportunity to get out and look around. And we had a stop to hike up to the Supai Falls. A water fall in a canyon. It's a short hike up - there are some ropes to assist climbing (relax it's all easy not at all like climbing up a mountain) and the guides are also stationed along the path to lend a hand up as well.

Bring snacks, a rain suit - water slippers - sun screen, and water resistant cameras. The guides will provide you with drinking water, lunch and waterproof packs to store your equipment and spare clothes.

We had some problem with the reservation for the helicopter ride out - but it was resolved. So you need to double check when they place your arm band on in the morning - that it is the right color for the helicopter ride.

If you're older and have trouble gripping or holding on - this is not the trip for you - parts of it are rough and you can be tossed around if you're not able to hold and brace yourself. If you don't like being cold or wet - this is not for you. However - if you like adventure, want to hurdle through rapids, don't mind cold drenching waves rolling over you, want stunning views, and above all else have wild fun? This is the trip for you.

Stunning views of the Grand Canyon - simply God inspiring beauty. Well worth the money folks.

Visited May 2013