“Refreshing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kohl's Ranch Lodge

You added Kohl's Ranch Lodge to your Saves list
Kohl's Ranch Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   202 South Kohl's Ranch Lodge Road, HC-2, Box 96K (mail), Payson, AZ 85541   |
Special Price
Up to 50% off!
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Payson
Gilbert, Az
“Refreshing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

My husband and I went up for a weekend getaway. The lodge room was nice, I thought that we were suppose to get the cabin by the creek, but it turned out fine. The room had a kitchenette, microwave and refrigerator. Fireplace was cozy. The porch looked out towards the cabins. The evening rain was so refreshing and cool.

Everyone was very friendly. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
North Pole, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2006

We arrived at this place after being in Sedona. We were disappointed when we found out this is another timeshare place trying to sell you something. We want to get away from these people!!!! Why is Arizona so full of them! But anyway, our room was nice, it was an average motel room decorated western style. It had everything we needed and the price was right. The grounds are pretty. The lobby was hot and stuffy. The hallway smelled like feet. We went swimming in the pool which they called heated, but it was a bit chilly. The steaming hot tub was nice. There were a lot of kids there roasting marshmallows around a fire. We went horsebackriding over across the way at the stables. Our guide, Joe, was real nice, and we had a great time. The price is right too. We didnt eat at the restaurant, so we drove a few miles to another restaurant. It had terrible food. The prime rib looked like a slab of gray material. My BBq ribs were good I guess, but afterwards both my husband and I were still hungry. There were about 15 cats outside the restaurants window, out in the yard. Since we spent too much money in there, we just went back to the Lodge and ate some leftover candy from our wedding. Kohls Ranch is not in Payson as they say on the website where I booked. It is 20 minutes from Payson. Overall we had a good time, but probably wont go back since its off the beaten track and we traveled so far to begin with. If I found myself there, I would try a different motel.

• Stayed March 2006
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

These people do not know how to make a reservation...We booked a suite for a celebration that had a hotub on the balcony...and we received an email confirmation,with number,price and terms including cancelation details...as expected!
Several days later we received a phone call telling us that we got bumped...blaming the computer...and they offered us a small room...no hotub...which would not work...Later they explained that this was a "Timeshare" issue....and that "owners" or guests got priority...NOT NICE!
These people have lost a customer forever!

Stayed April 2006
az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

My husband had asked what I wanted for Xmas and since he has been working so much, I asked for a weekend away.. We went to Kohl's Ranch...we are ILX members, so we get a discounted rate on the rooms...I would have to agree that if you are the outdoorsy types, request a room away from the parking lot. They have them that overlook the pool and the grouds, if you are only in the room to sleep, then those are a little nicer as they have fireplaces in them. We have stayed there many times and always get the cabins on the creek that have a jacuzzi on the patio. These have absolutely beautiful views of the creek. Normally there would have been snow, but Arizona has had such a dry year that there was only a spattering left in the shady areas along the creek. It was cold enough to freeze the creek which was kind of neat because you could see trout swimming under the ice. My 3 year old daughter enjoyed throwing rocks out on to the ice..she couldn't figure out why they didn't sink. The stables gave her pony rides for free which she absolutely loved and the front desk gave her a "credit card" for free cookies from the restaraunt. We find the food and the service at the restaraunt to be great. They have nice common area pool and jacuzzi as well as a small playground for kids. We all had a wonderful time. The only trip we took was up to the Fish hatchery where my daughter had the time of her life feeding the bid 10 pound trout that they have in the show pond. They have lots of activities for kids and adults as well, take advantage of them as you can have a lot of fun meeting new people. If you can I highly reccommend the cabins by the creek..it's worth it.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2006

My husband surprised me for valentines day with a nice "get away" When we first arrived, we were not so sure. We did rent a cabin on the creek (very private, cute) It was like a little house, 2 bedrooms and a flip out bed in the living room. We enjoyed the hot tub. We went to town to eat at a Italian restaurant (which was the best I have EVER had!!!) We went to blockbuster, rented a couple of dvd's and headed back. We watched our movies, and we enjoyed ourselves very much. We were not pressured about buying a time share. They actually NEVER bothered us, (that was our goal, to be left alone) We are planning on returning with our whole family and get the BIG cabin.. Not too sure how the pool, restaurant, or anything else is, we were only there one day. I would love to visit when there is snow.

• Stayed February 2006
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

My boyfriend and I visited Kohl's Ranch Lodge in May of 2005 and it was a place that we will never forget. The people were extremely friendly and accomodating. The lodge had a wonderful smell and our room was clean and comfortable. We loved sitting on the porch with our dog and listening to the sound of the creek while sipping coffee and cocoa. We did some fishing, hiking,horseback riding, and tennis playing. I highly recommend the horseback riding. I was a little dissapointed that the pool was closed for renovations but after being there awhile I found that playing in the creek was more fun anyways. The restaurant has great food, the bondfire and smore toasting was the perfect end to every night, and the lodge is the perfect place for an escape! You can even bring your pets too!

Rockingham, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

After reading some of the reviews prior to our trip, I was a little apprehensive about what to expect. I was pleasantly suprised! The lodge is remote I guess (if you call 12 miles out in the country remote!) but Payson is close and has everything you need. It was just my husband and me, so we didn't participate in any family activities. We are vacation owners elsewhere and booked through RCI Exchange, so we are used to dealing with the "activities directors" who try to take you on tours. I told her immediately that we would be out sight seeing all day and wouldn't have time for a tour. She accepted that and didn't bother us anymore. We stayed in one of the Aspen rooms facing the pool. It was clean, spacious, quiet and had a full mini-kitchen with all the appliances we needed. Maid service does only come mid-week but extra towels are always available. The staff was helpful and courteous. We ate lunch and dinner once at the Zane Grey restaurant and the service was not slow and the waitstaff was very friendly. The food was not great, but ok. (Try Cucina Paradiso in Payson instead. We waited 35 minutes to be seated at this Italian restaurant, but it was worth the wait.) The pool is not very big. The property is beautiful, with a creek that's deep in parts for trout fishing, and is set in the Tonto National Forest overlooked by the Mogollon Rim. The trail ride I took was fantastic, with a wonderful view of the Rim!!! Stable staff was friendly and knowledgable. There is a kennel for pets, but pets are not allowed in the rooms. The onsite Dance Hall and Saloon had live entertainment on our last night that was fun. Kohls is close to interesting sights like Tonto Natural Bridge and Montezuma's Castle, and within a day trip of Sedona, Grand Canyon, Etc. Kohls is not a 5 star resort or spa if that's what you're used to, but it is a nice relaxing getaway and a quiet place to stay when visiting the surrounding area. We would go back tomorrow, if we could!!!

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Kohl's Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!