“Kohl's Ranch Was Peaceful and Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kohl's Ranch Lodge

You added Kohl's Ranch Lodge to your Saves list
Kohl's Ranch Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   202 South Kohl's Ranch Lodge Road, HC-2, Box 96K (mail), Payson, AZ 85541   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save up to 40%
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Payson
Florida
“Kohl's Ranch Was Peaceful and Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

My boyfriend and I visited Kohl's Ranch Lodge in May of 2005 and it was a place that we will never forget. The people were extremely friendly and accomodating. The lodge had a wonderful smell and our room was clean and comfortable. We loved sitting on the porch with our dog and listening to the sound of the creek while sipping coffee and cocoa. We did some fishing, hiking,horseback riding, and tennis playing. I highly recommend the horseback riding. I was a little dissapointed that the pool was closed for renovations but after being there awhile I found that playing in the creek was more fun anyways. The restaurant has great food, the bondfire and smore toasting was the perfect end to every night, and the lodge is the perfect place for an escape! You can even bring your pets too!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Rockingham, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

After reading some of the reviews prior to our trip, I was a little apprehensive about what to expect. I was pleasantly suprised! The lodge is remote I guess (if you call 12 miles out in the country remote!) but Payson is close and has everything you need. It was just my husband and me, so we didn't participate in any family activities. We are vacation owners elsewhere and booked through RCI Exchange, so we are used to dealing with the "activities directors" who try to take you on tours. I told her immediately that we would be out sight seeing all day and wouldn't have time for a tour. She accepted that and didn't bother us anymore. We stayed in one of the Aspen rooms facing the pool. It was clean, spacious, quiet and had a full mini-kitchen with all the appliances we needed. Maid service does only come mid-week but extra towels are always available. The staff was helpful and courteous. We ate lunch and dinner once at the Zane Grey restaurant and the service was not slow and the waitstaff was very friendly. The food was not great, but ok. (Try Cucina Paradiso in Payson instead. We waited 35 minutes to be seated at this Italian restaurant, but it was worth the wait.) The pool is not very big. The property is beautiful, with a creek that's deep in parts for trout fishing, and is set in the Tonto National Forest overlooked by the Mogollon Rim. The trail ride I took was fantastic, with a wonderful view of the Rim!!! Stable staff was friendly and knowledgable. There is a kennel for pets, but pets are not allowed in the rooms. The onsite Dance Hall and Saloon had live entertainment on our last night that was fun. Kohls is close to interesting sights like Tonto Natural Bridge and Montezuma's Castle, and within a day trip of Sedona, Grand Canyon, Etc. Kohls is not a 5 star resort or spa if that's what you're used to, but it is a nice relaxing getaway and a quiet place to stay when visiting the surrounding area. We would go back tomorrow, if we could!!!

• Stayed September 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2005

A really nice hotel, however it was really remote - very out of town. The restaurant had a very restricted service on some nights of the week (one of them being when we arrived), this included no children's menu - resulting in us having to travel the 10 miles or so back into Payson for dinner - with a couple of rather hungry kids!

Stayed July 2005
Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

We were able to check in early, (around 1) and we did get a nice room with a view of the parking lot, however, being heavily pregnant, this didn't bug me at all...otherwise, on the 'pretty' side we'd have had to hike all our luggage up a steep staircase to our room (or walk back through the main lobby and take a long walk). We did not have maid service the entire time we were there, unless you count them replacing the shampoo and conditioner, and removing the garbage (they didn't empty the coffee pot, replace any condiments, or make the bed). The sales lady for I.L.X. Timeshare Resorts, Susan, is pushy and often bristly (she rubbed me the wrong way when she yelled "Excuse Me" once we left the checkout desk and after doing her sphiel told us she'd need an answer "now" on when she could book us on a tour). She also upset me when she called us around 8:30P.M. to ask us again about taking a tour or the facility--after we'd already told her no. We stayed on the "Bunk and Chow" program at $70/night.

The grounds were absolutely beautiful and the creek was running enough to splash around in (we also picked what ripe blackberries there were). The bbq's didn't work, but that's probably because the starters were soggy from the rain. The front desk provided us with everything for the grills and we enjoyed cooking outdoors one evening. Pool was small, but still refreshing--though I'd hate to be one of the occupants of the suites right next to the pool!

The stables were fun (you could not smell them from the rooms and cabins) and the staff was nice enough to take my four year old on a small pony ride around the stable free of charge. We did participate one child activity--movie and pizza--and our daughter enjoyed it immensely. She also enjoyed making s'mores on the patio at the firepit.

Restaurant was slow as molasses--I'd highly recommend eating in Payson or bringing a meal to grill if you stay in a suite (as we did). Overall it was enjoyable, and I'd be curious to see what it would cost to rent a cabin for a few days. They looked beautiful and they were right on the creek. We would probably stay again...and avoid Susan at all costs.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I made reservations over 2 months in advance. Criteria was a pool for my kids. I called and confirmed 2 weeks out. I get there and no pool. I am told just let them swim in the creek - yeah right my 6 and 8 yr old, icy cold and deep and rapid sections.

I paid for a pool and was never told by both the reservations desk as well as the on site hotel that they did have a pool. The did - you could not use it though as it was still under repair. They should have called me - I would have stayed another place but hard to do after traveling 8 hrs just to get there and too tired. Then the next day - all places are full and you had company meeting you there as well.

Their booklet says they have provided empowerment to their front counter to make ajdusments but all I got was a so sorry - can't do anything - they did take off a whole$10.00 per nite. I complained more and got $40 in food bucks. I wanted them to move me to another room that had a jacuzzi so my kids could have the water but they said that was too much.

Never again.

Stayed May 2005
Payson AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2005

We have stayed in many timeshares in different states and this is one of the most compressed. From the pool you could see the tennis courts and smell the stables. Tonto Creek that runs behind it is sometimes about dry.

Not a bad place to base out to travel to other places in AZ.

The place itself is historic but the pushy timeshare sales people put a damper on things and make you want to take travel day trips.

The cookouts make it so you have to close yourself up in your room at night if you don't take part in them because of the smoke.

We loved the area and moved to Payson soon after staying there.

• Stayed June 2001
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2005

Kohl's Ranch is not a typical timeshare resort. It is a rustic lodge that has been converted into timeshare use. It is not fancy, but has an Old West/pioneer settler atmosphere. Insist on a room that doesn't face the parking lot. We didn't partake of the resorts "activities" which were often sales pitches. However there is a nice brook on the property, very scenic and peaceful. We had a lovely patio with rocking chairs and a fireplace. We took advantage of the outdoor grills and cooked outside 2 nights. The restaurant there is terrible.
We thouroghly explored the area. The drive to and from Phoenix was spectacular as the desert was in bloom....a sight not to be missed. We hired a guide to take us on a bumpy jeep ride through backraods to an old ranch where the rancher invited us into his home, filled us in on local lore, and showed us his own collection of pioneer and Native American relics. We drove to the Painted desert and the Petrified Forest....well worth the day trip. Another day we hiked down into a river bed to see a natural bridge, very beautiful State Park. Another day trip we saw some pueblo cave ruins. We also explored the local towns and made a quick visit to the Indian Casino (the odds are the worst I've ever seen in any Casino, so watch out).
After reading some of the reviews on this site and others I wasn't expecting much, hearing that it was somewhat rundown, etc with nothing to do. Maybe that is why I feel the experience exceeded my expectations.
Enjoy Koh'ls for what it is. It isn't Aspen, Sedona, or Vail. It is a good location from which to explore Central Arizona, much slower paced than most resorts, not as touristy, great for hikers, fishermen and Western history buffs. The area is very scenic, being in the Mogolleen Rim Country, a 200 mile escarpment that runs about 200 miles through central AZ. The area reminds me of northern NM or Southern CO, rather than typical AZ (which I think of as dry and desserty) While there I read a book by Zane Grey (he wrote most of his western novels practically on Kohl's ranch) and it helped me get into the mood for Kohl's ranch and Payson area.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Kohl's Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!