“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Paradise Valley
San Antonio, TX
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I stayed only one night at the Camel Back Inn. I had a great time. I wish that I could have stayed longer. The grounds were excellent and there was a beautiful spa. There is also an enjoyable running route near the hotel and a great hiking trail. I enjoyed the restaurant and the bar. The rooms were very comfortable. There was some construction going on but not bery noticable from my perspective.

1,124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

As a family of 5 vacationing over Easter Break, we loved the Camelback Inn. We stayed in one of the newer remodeled rooms and it was immaculate and nicely decorated. The beds are extremely comfortable and ALL the linens including the white duvet covers are washed and changed daily. You didn't have to worry who was laying ontop of the bed the day before.
The service was outstanding!!
We had Easter Brunch at the Jackrabbit restaurant. Excellent!

The pool service was also excellent. The lounge chairs are extremely comfortable, and the kids loved the warm pool, and the noodles and floats to play with!

Didn't use the spa, thought it was a bit pricey.
Concierge was very helpful with dinner recommendations.
Gift shop was a bit lacking.. lobby kind of strange, but they undergoing renovations...
All and all would highy recommend this hotel and we will definitely return!

• Liked — VERY accomodating and friendly staff!
  • Disliked — Pool bathrooms located inside the restaurant, Had to reserve a pool lounge chair by 7:00 am or else you would not have chairs to lay on when you came to swim at 9:30 am.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kansas city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Just got back and loved the JW Camelback. The staff is attentive and friendly (without looking forced as they do in their sister Arizona property). Food is great. The ambience is to die for. Everything is topnotch and I loved the fact they have ongoing activities for every age. I have been travelling for decades and this is the first time I felt the need to sing the praises of a property. Oh and by the way, Trader Joes and great dining and shopping very, very close by but next time I will probably never leave the property.

Truly a resort feel and other Marriott resorts should look for lessons.

• Liked — The service and accomodations.
  • Disliked — airconditioning system a little noisey, kepts us up when came on.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DeKalb, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

We stayed at the Camelback for 3 nights in March with my husband's company. We have gone on many trips with his company (Mexico, Florida, Jamaica, etc) and this was the nicest hotel we have stayed in.

Here are the highlights:
*Food--Awesome. Best food I've ever had at any resort, including all inclusive resorts in Mexico. The breakfast buffet is to die for. Smoothies by the pool--fantastic. Even the Chicken fingers were awesome. My husband and I had room service one night--ordered a fruit plate and a pizza--the pizza was so good--like a really good gourmet pizza.

*Bed-Soooo comfortable. Luxury linens, down comforter, and pillows.

*Service--outstanding! Every single person we encountered went out of their way to help you. Very pleasant, positive, helpful. Excellent.

*Pool--warm water, poolside service, again, was fantastic. They came around with water, frozen grapes, and samples of smoothies. Loved the lounges with very cozy cushions.

*Spa was very nice. Very upscale. I had a swedish massage that was great.

Downsides:

*The food and spa services are expensive. We had a resort credit from my husband's company, so we didn't really have to worry about it, but if we were there on our own, I don't know if we would have eaten there. However, I would still say that even though the food was expensive, it was worth it. My massage was $110. I've had comparable massages in Illinois for $50.

*The pool bathroom is located in the restaurant near the pool. You have to walk through diners seated in the outside dining section to get to the pool. Slightly uncomfortable for pool guest and diner alike.

Those are the only two "complaints" that I could think of. If you can afford this place, you should go. It was so relaxing and the scenery is gorgeous. Enjoy!

• Liked — Service and Food
  • Disliked — No Wi-Fi, Bathroom location for pool
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn for 3 nights in February. When we arrived it was dark, so hard to see the grounds, but because of the construction-which we knew about- the main lobby was moved to the middle of the resort and was a bit confusing at first. When we arrived and entered the lobby, the staff was very friendly. This is always what seperates higher quality hotels, so we were excited.
I had originally asked for a king size bed and to be placed away from the construction noise. The gentleman at the desk stated that neither was available. So he placed us into a room with 2 double beds on a top floor with a very large patio overlooking the Camelback Mtn. Even though we did not need the patio, we figured we'd give it a shot...The room was NOT clean! It actually looked-and smelled-as if it had not been cleaned in quite some time. There was so much dust on the desks and end tables that you could write your name- and a musty smell filled the room. We were tired, so we figured that we would deal with it in the AM. The beds are actually rather comfy though!
The next morning we were awakened by the lovely sound of construction-but the view from the room was beautiful- so we ordered room service and sat on our patio. Room service was relatively quick and friendly. Prices were a little high, but we were ok with it. Food was great! The Berry Berry dish was excellent!
After breakfast, we requested to be moved to another room with a king bed. Within an hour, we were moved to our requested room. This room was better, although still not up to par with the amount of $$ that the resort charges per night. The bathrooms are old and our shower had mildew marks and mold (actually the same in the last room as well). I can appreciate the originality of the tilework, etc- but it really could have been cleaned better. We also had to have someone come to our room because we ran out of hot water!! Yikes! There is a small TV in a cabinet- no flat screen!
We ate at the Jack Rabbit resturant and it was good. Nice healthier choices than other places that we've stayed.
We spent one entire day at the gym/spa. The gym is rather small, but it works for what you need. The spa is nice! It rained on the day that we were there, so we did not get to experience the outside area. My husband and I both had a few spa treatments that day, ate lunch there and just enjoyed the day. It was very nice, although I wish we would have had more spaces (other than the outside-that was not usable due to weather) so that we could have enjoyed the time together. The steam rooms and saunas are very nice as well. Overall on a scale of 1-10 the spa rated at about a 7.5- We have been to others throughout the country that have been better- but still very nice. It was a bit crowded and felt like they needed to expand waiting areas, etc, but we both still enjoyed the day. We liked that you could have lunch and drinks in the restaurant area between treatments and stay in your robe!
Overall, the stay was nice, relaxing and since we were willing to overlook a few things, rather enjoyable.

• Liked — Staff was attentive when problems arose
  • Disliked — Rooms were not as clean as they should be for the amount of $$ per night
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
irvine, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

I thought this was a great resort. The rooms were spacious with a nice patio area for enjoying a warm evening. I like being able to park close to my room without having to walk through a hotel lobby. The pool is not as nice as the Phoenician, but still good enough. I only stayed 2 days and 1 night, but I wished I had more time here.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

Positive aspects:
- Spacious room
- Polite, cheerful staff
- Availability
- Construction did not affect hotel facilities

Negative aspects:
- LARGE cockaroach in the bathroom
- Water in the shower was not hot (just barely warm)
- Towels were stiff and rough
- Shower smelled like mildew
- Food at Hoppin' Jacks was mediocre, and they kept us waiting for a table even though virtually ALL tables were available inside (and we clearly stated we were willing to sit inside when we asked for a table)
- Sprouts breakfast staff was not attentive
- Spa reservation was not honored (the treatment that was booked was not provided -- an alternative was given without permission or notice)
- Car service used by the hotel is clueless (they do not know how to get ANYWHERE)

• Liked — availability
  • Disliked — lack of luxury
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to JW Marriott Camelback Inn Scottsdale Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!