“Hotel seems understaffed, poorly trained and some are down right rude-not worth the price” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Camelback Mountain

Stay 3 Nights - Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Paradise Valley
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The service at the Sanctuary is terrible and not up to par with the price of the rooms. Unfortunately, the hotel seems mismanaged and the staff seem poorly trained and were even rude. It is unfortunate because the setting and facilities are beautiful. I would recommend the Four Seasons Troon (Scottsdale) or the Camelback Inn.

My husband and I could not find chairs at the main pool for our entire stay. It was always full. The pool staff, including a rude supervisor, told us we should just wait for chairs to open up and were not helpful or friendly. Seemed ridiculous when you're spending $600 a night for a room. The hotel has memberships for locals who seem to come and camp out all weekend at the relatively small pool. Dont expect to be able to go to the main pool you see in all the ads and postcards if you stay here. We ended up at another small pool called the East Pool throughout our stay which is smaller than most residential private pools and has 5 lounge chairs total. At first my husband and I had to share a lounge chair because the others were full. We ordered some drinks which came to this 'East Pool' -there is very limited service here through a telephone that was then broken the second day we were sitting here. Drinks alone took over 40 minutes to arrive. If you needed to go to the bathroom from this pool it is about a 15 minute walk back down the mountain to the lobby. There is no water or service here so you just have to call into room service and hope some water or drinks arrive within an hour. So dont come here and expect to luxuriate by a pool!

I could go on and on with my disappointments. The high end hotel restaurant Elements rushed my parents who live nearby and my husband and I through our dinner "inviting " us to get up and leave our table after our meal to go to the bar because they had some other people who wanted our table. Again, seems ridiculous considering the price of the rooms! And the restaurant wasnt even full. We had just signed our $500 + meal bill and were quietly chatting. I couldnt believe the Manager had the gall to ask us to get up and move so quickly. I even returned to the restaurant after my parents left to speak to him about it because I was so irritated with my experience at Elements (there were other missteps along the way including a very rude host demanding that we take our cocktails inside and sit down at a table when we had asked if we could enjoy a quick sunset cocktail upon arrival and we were early for our reservation).

I was very disappointed in the service and the poor organization at the Sanctuary. I would definitely not return and think for the price you can do better in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. And expect attitude if you stay here!

Room Tip: We booked a Spa Casita to be near the pool and spa and ended up right above three tennis courts wher...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Sancmanager, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for your comments and feedback with your stay. I was so disappointed to hear about your challenges with your stay yesterday when we discussed your issues at checkout. We certainly are a much, much better staff and property than what you experienced and I am truly sorry we did not live up to the typical Sanctuary experience and more importantly, the one you expected and deserved. Your feedback does not go unnoticed and we have addressed your challenges with every department to make sure this does not happen again in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you give us another opportunity to show you the experience you deserve.

Our sincere apologies and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future!

Best Regards,
Jeremy Dougherty
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Michigan Center, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

This was one of my family's most memorable resort stays. The location is dramatic, mountain views in all directions and up against Camelback Mountain. The Sanctuary is a different level resort experience.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It’s great to hear that you all had a wonderful stay overall, and that you really enjoyed the serene setting. Thank you so much for staying with us, and we hope to see you again next time you visit Arizona.
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Upon arrival of a 4 night stay, which I paid in full for the spa king suite with outdoor tub, I was told that the suite I booked was only available for one night, then I would have to stay in a basic cabana thereafter. After much distress and a phone call to upper management, I was able to be put in a spa king suite for the remainder of my three nights. They also said they would comp two nights stay.
The first night suite stay did not have the outdoor tub which was promised. At checkout, I was billed for 4 full nights at the suite price and all resort day fees. I had to again request review from management. I was finally credited the two nights, two days of fees.
Lastly, I had to remind staffing at the spa of specials they were promoting for 20% off of treatments in order to get the discounts.
It is not about the money to me. It was about the nickel and dimming. The lack of professionalism of staffing. It is about having a financial contract ahead of time and then getting kicked to the curb upon arrival. The lack of following through and providing what was guaranteed.

Room Tip: Double check you get what you paid for.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I'm very sorry to hear it wasn't a positive experience. We absolutely should be providing the room type you reserved and the missed follow up and execution of the financials of your stay should certainly not have been missed. We greatly apologize for the challenges, we've addressed them with our staff and if you're able to discuss the challenges further, I'd love to assist in resolving this and making sure that you are 100% satisfied with the resolution.

Please feel free to reach out to me at jdougherty@sanctuaryaz.com or 480.607.2375. I want to make sure we correct these challenges.

Best Regards,
Jeremy Dougherty
Resort Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Sanctuary. We had a wonderful "spa casita" with an outdoor soaking tub. The property is very nice and the restaurant offers a beautiful view. Staff was friendly and everything in general was good. The only thing we did not really like was the way the parking was situated. The view from our very nicely furnished casita was of the parking lot. And this was one of the more expensive rooms. Other then that we loved our stay. This would not stop us from visiting again.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has a good view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sancmanager, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sanctuary. Sounds like you enjoyed your spa casita and the outdoor tub. We are glad to hear that you had a great time at elements and the resort overall. Hopefully the lack of a view from your room didn’t diminish your overall experience too much. Since the spa suites and casitas are lower on the mountain, located near the spa, they don’t have the same view as many of mountain casitas. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and hopefully we will see you again sometime soon!
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I had the opportunity to experience this beautiful property in March of 2014 at a conference. The staff were superb, the food exquisite and the rooms were beautiful. Several of my fellow conference attendees indicated that this was the best meal they had ever eaten. Even our conference room was amazing. I would highly recommend this resort as one of the best ever.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful all around experience. We’re happy you enjoyed the food as well as the setting. I will certainly pass your compliments on to the chef. We always love to hear when our guests have such a great time. Hopefully we will see you again sometime soon, maybe just for vacation this time!
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful (albeit small) resort tucked away in Paradise Valley. It has manicured grounds and lovely rooms/casitas that feel very private. The on site restaurant and bar serve delicious creations. The spa offers a wide array of professional services in a modern yet tranquil ambience. They seem to strive for personal, yet very professional customer service. We really enjoyed our 4 night stay here.
A couple of small negatives: we could hear the people in the room next to us; perhaps better insulation? There are also no movies available to watch in the rooms; you have to borrow a DVD player and movies from the front desk. Not exactly ideal. Otherwise, we had a great, first rate time.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sancmanager, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your most recent visit. We really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback on your experience. It sounds like you had a wonderful time overall, which is always great to hear. I’m glad you got to enjoy the restaurant, bar and spa. Thank you for letting us know about the noise, we are working to address this issue. We apologize if the noise from your neighbors caused any disruption during your stay and for any inconvenience the DVD player caused. Hopefully you left the resort relaxed and refreshed and we will see you again sometime soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I spent 6 days at the Sanctuary in March 2014. This was my second visit to the Sanctuary so I knew the ropes and what to expect which was a wonderful, quiet stay in lovely Paradie Valley. I had had quite enough of New York winter and was really looking forward to cloudless warm days in Arizona. The Sancutary is exactly my idea of quiet, simple and beautiful luxe. Some reviewers contrast the Sanctuary unfavorably with the Four Seasons. The Sanctuary is every as fine as the Four Seasons in my opinion but perhaps looser and more casual which I liked. I took enough clothes but spent my days in tee shirts, flip flops, bathing suits and bermuda shorts. I stayed in a wonderful room down in the Spa Quarter, near the both pools. The room was perfect and perfectly lovely with large bathroom and lots of soft light. While I did not sit on my private deck I did like having it. I had come to the Sanctuary to relax and take swimming lessons from Olympic champion Misty Hyman as I had last year. Between swimming lessons, and swimming and massages and the sun I did absolutely nothing at all. I am not ordinarily a person who does nothing while "relaxing" but the Sanctuary is very seductive and I did just that, nothing at all. I read and swam and the days drifted by. The staff, the maids and wait staff in particular, are very very nice and as attentive as you want them to be. Having read, several contrarian reviews, I would say that everything is done with quiet efficiency, the grounds are beautiful, the spa wonderful, despite those reviews, and the services just enough and as much as you might want. I hope that I will be able to return next year to fine tune my free style and breast stroke with Misty and once again, do nothing except relax at my own pace. I would suggest that visitors take the option of prepaid breakfast which is the perfect way to begin the day. I would also suggest that if you want the best massage in the world, ask for Damian. He will tailor the massage to your specifications. We discussed what I wanted which was theraputic sports and he took over from there. My massages were some of the best of my life. And lastly if you are a swimmer I suggest lessons with Misty. She is a brilliant teacher as well as the nicest person. She took me from step to step in both free and breast and both are transformed! Now I can only hope that I will be able to return next year. The Sancutary rates *****.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sancmanager, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. You picked a good time of year to escape the cold New York winter weather. Glad to hear you felt very comfortable and relaxed during your stay. Misty is amazing and I’m glad you took advantage of the lessons, but still found plenty of time to relax. We really appreciate the comments about the staff, who always do their best to ensure each guest has a magical experience. Sounds like you also really enjoyed your spa treatments as well. Thank you again for all the kind things you had to say about the resort and your most recent experience. We hope you have a wonderful rest of the year and we will see you next year!

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!