“Beautiful property and delicious food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia

You added Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia to your Saves list
Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   4949 East Lincoln Drive, Paradise Valley, AZ 85253 (Formerly InterContinental Montelucia Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Burnaby
“Beautiful property and delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at the Montelucia April 15 - 19. We found a great rate via Hotwire that made it very attractive to try this resort which is in the town of Paradise Valley, a small municipality near Scottsdale. Upon driving up to the entrance we were promptly assisted by valets and a bellman who helped with our bags and parking options. The bellman offered cold bottles of water promptly which was a thoughtful touch. Check in was pretty quick and problem free.

We were assigned room 1201, a corner room in Building 12 near the back of the property. However next time I would avoid this room because on the third night we had trouble sleeping due to a noisy air conditioner unit placed right next to the room that controls the A/C for several rooms. The noise was a dull rumble which sounded like a power generator or a lawnmower and unfortunately they could not do anything about it. To be fair, they did offer us to move rooms but we declined since we only had a 4 night stay.

Pros:

--Separate adults only pool called Oasis
--Prompt and attentive service at pool and restaurant
--Best white bean hummus ever at the Mbar! Must try it!
--Called us upon check in to see if room was satisfactory
--Nicely appointed, clean, and beautifully designed property
--Housekeeping service was thoughtful and they paid attention to our consumption of coffee, ice etc
--Spa is enormous and very well laid out. I had a facial and was able to enjoy a sauna, steam room, hot tub, and a beautiful relaxation lounge in addition to a terrace overlooking Camelback Mountain. For $79 USD (plus 20 per cent gratuity) I thought this was very reasonable considering all the extra amenities for spa guests.

Cons:
--Though it's now widespread in the industry, the $25 resort fee is annoying. A newspaper delivery is supposed to be included in the fee upon request, and even though we asked for a daily paper on arrival, we had to call again for it as it did not arrive
--Self parking is $10. Again, this is commonplace in higher end resorts but you would think that when you are already paying $25 for a resort fee, and choosing to park one's own car, they can throw in parking as well
--Room key cards were problematic. I had to request replacement keys twice as they did not work. When you factor in that reception is a long ways away from some of the buildings where the guest rooms are, and I didn't see courtesy phones around the property, this made for a delay to walk to and from reception to get replacement keys. If I had had small kids with me, or if I had difficulty walking, this would have been a little annoying.
--Again, the noisy AC unit was disappointing.

I would have given this resort 4.5 green circles if I could but can't give it 5 as this would mean in my opinion that the experience was totally flawless. It was pretty close, though, and they do a very good job here at this hotel.

Overall, if I was looking again for a relaxing vacation to lounge by a beautiful pool, and spend more time at a resort rather than sightseeing in Scottsdale/Phoenix, I would come here again. You really need to spend time here to make the resort fee worthwhile.

Thanks Montelucia!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 1201 as it is placed right next to an outdoor air conditioner unit.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Booked a vacation here through a third party site where we knew the name of the resort before booking. This was one of the best resorts where I have ever stayed. Room was oversized with an awesome bathroom. There were at least two pools and the adult pool had constant bar service. The restaurant and bar had awesome food and it was a terrific experience (ok, Bama also beat Michigan while I was here so that added to my fun). I absolutely plan to go back here hopefully this year. Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review! So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Instead of the bigger resorts, try the lovely, elegant, charming and incredibly well appointed Montelucia. I stayed for a week - both because of near-by business and for a weekend of fun. It is such an easy place to be - the rooms are well appointed and the outdoor patios are lovely for morning coffee or afternoon sun. We played bocci ball in the court outside our room, we used the pool (the adult pool - there is also a family pool), the bar, restaurant and the cafe for morning breakfast. There isn't one thing I'd change for this resort - maybe the wireless connection; it was a little sporadic, depending on where you were standing in the room.

Room Tip: Choose a more private room "at the back" - the 1400 block is perfect. It's at the bac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! Sounds like you were able to experience all areas of the resort which is great! Love the tip on room location. Hope to see you again soon!
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We didn't stay here, but had a girls' day at the spa, which was perfection! I've been to many and this is my new favorite...high marks all around! The atmosphere is tranquil and inviting, dimly lit and all done in a Moroccan theme. I loved all the different places to relax...a social room with silk covered sofas & pillows with magazines, teas, & fruit. The relaxation room was amazing with comfy Temprapedic beds, big pillows, and flickering candles. They also had a great jacuzzi tub, steam room, sauna, and cold plunge shower.

The spa pool was a nice little retreat that was quiet and private with amazing views of Camelback Mountain. Order lunch out there...the food was fresh and amazing. Lots of great healthy "adult" drinks too. Be prepared to be pampered...Roxanne was fantastic. She was refilling waters constantly and anticipated our every want before we knew it!

My spa treatments were great and Heather & Paula were both amazing. Treatments include all of the nice extras of a first rate spa...heated massage tables, silky linens, heated neck wraps, and nice eye pillows. Rooms are tranquil and relaxing. The spa robes were cuddly and cozy...wanted one for home! They have a nice package that includes 2 treatments and lunch, which we thought was a great value. We had such a pampering day, we never wanted to leave...they'll just make you feel like a princess! Save a little time for some shopping in the spa gift shop afterwards. Pretty things! We can't wait to have our next girls' trip here and try the hotel...beautiful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your spa review! Our Joya Spa is truly a destination on its own. Sounds like you and your friends had a great day and we hope to see you all again soon!
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was drawn to this place by the gorgeous photos, and it is indeed beautiful. I didn't feel like I had a five star experience overall though. We switched rooms due to noise in the first one, the tv reception failed for a period, the cupboard door was too stiff for me to open and the lawn mowers were pretty noisy 9am on Monday morning. On the plus side the spa facilities are great especially the quiet room, and the breakfast is lovely. The bathrooms are exceptional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. So pleased you were able to enjoy the spa during your stay! Hopefully we will see you all again soon and have you in a room perfect for you the first time! Cheers!
York, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Overall, the resort is very nice. The location is beautiful with a view of Camelback Mountain. The rooms are gorgeous. The food was delicious. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. HOWEVER - I’d be hesitant to stay there again due to the prices. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was being nickle-and-dimed the whole time we stayed.

We stayed at the resort due to a work-hosted event being held nearby and at the resort. Check-in was very easy. Take notice that if the credit card you give them for incidentals is a debit card, they will put a hefty hold on funds until you check out. For a Thursday through Sunday stay, I had a $700 hold on the card. They accommodated us with a late check out (2:00 instead of 12:00) since we had a later flight with no problems.

Our room was in building 2. Our porch looked out onto the main pool area. As previously mentioned, the room itself was gorgeous and had the nicest and biggest bathroom I’ve ever seen. One downside - the tub, while big, is not a jacuzzi tub, which would have been nice.

The bed was large and pretty comfortable (too soft for my tastes, but still very nice). There is a full-sized table, a couch, plenty of drawers, and everything else you’d expect. The mini-bar, while nicely stocked, is RIDICULOUS in price - $5.00 for can of diet coke, for example. The porch had a table, two chairs, and a chaise lounge (my favorite place in the room).

The pool was beautiful, the hot tub was a bit too warm for my taste. We only used the Kasbah pool, so I can’t speak about the other two. At least during our stay, it was easy to get chairs by the pool until about 11:00, when things got a bit busier. No shortage of towels, which is always nice. Staff are constantly walking around starting at 11:00 a.m. if you want to order food or drinks. They also bring around pitchers of ice water, which was very appreciated.

Now for the bad: we were pretty much stuck on the resort since we did not have a car. Therefore we ate more on-site than we would have preferred. There is really no “cheap” option for anything. Breakfast ran us at least $50 every morning (although the brunch buffet at Prado was delicious and, in my opinion, the only thing we ate that was worth the price tag). Dinner was much more than that. When it is so easy to charge everything to the room (they encourage this), the final bill on check-out can be staggering. Mimosas were mediocre and cost $12. A cup of coffee is $5. I don’t consider myself to be cheap, but these prices were outrageous.

Not to mention the “resort charge” that is added daily to the room rate. This seems surreptitious to me. You pay a rather expensive daily rate - this “resort charge” should be included in this. For us, our rate was $260 for the night we stayed on our own dime. Add in taxes and “resort charge”, and our room was well over $300. To me, if you feel the rate should be more, charge me $280 from the beginning and don’t be sneaky by adding a charge. I’m paying to stay at the resort and the use of resort facilities should be included in my rate. Anything extra you add on top of the basic services, you have to pay for - poolside cabanas, exercise classes, etc. - so the fee in addition to the room rate is offensive.

Don’t get me wrong, the place is gorgeous and certainly can charge a not-cheap base room rate for the quality of the premises. I’d go back again in a heartbeat if the company pays again, but I wouldn’t be so quick to stay an extra day as I did this time. I’d rent a car so that I’d have other dining options, as the surrounding area seemed to have a good selection of restaurants. I can’t give it 5-stars until the pricing is more honest, but you’ll have a great time with great staff if you’re willing to pay for it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Hopefully we see you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The staff at Montelucia make the stay be above and beyond special. I had a beautiful room, outstanding concierge and food/banquet service, and overall high value from my four night stay. Pay attention to the entire Joya spa, everything there is premium. Nice workout facility and quiet areas.

My team had a 20 person meeting here with ten special customers. They were all blown away. Special thanks to the Prado staff and Scott th concierge.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are, like building 14 or 15 are especially quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! So pleased you and your group enjoyed your time with us and we will hopefully see you all again! I will be sure to pass on the kudos to Prado and Scott at the concierge!

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!