“A very nice resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia

You added Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia to your Saves list
Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   4949 East Lincoln Drive, Paradise Valley, AZ 85253 (Formerly InterContinental Montelucia Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Copenhagen
“A very nice resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Although we experienced some chilly days in February, it was sunny every day and we still enjoyed the resort and what it has to offer. Great location with nice views, heated pools and very well kept grounds. Although we were there as tourists most of the guests were conference attendees which is common for these types of resorts at this time of year. The only negative that is worth mentioning is the breakfast set-up - very expensive indeed but fortunately we had some room credits which softened the expense blow.

• Stayed February 2013
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Branson, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

First of all, we LOVED this resort. My husband decided we needed a little getaway, so we took a night at one of their suites (we didn't need a suite, it was just what was available, they did give it to us for the regular King room price.) The scenery was stunning, the spa luxurious, the food at the restaurant AMAZING (I could have happily eaten just the bread all night long.) This would have been a 5 star stay, but for one thing. Allow me to explain,
When we checked in, we were given the option of adding a meal certificate that would give us $100 of credit at the restaurant for only $60. We bought it. We were also given the option of purchasing a $60 credit for breakfast for $40. We bought it. We were also given options on spa purchases and offered significant discounts if we purchased them while checking in so, hey, we were out to indulge ourselves, so we went for it. His/hers pedicures, a couples massage, and a manicure for me were added to the tab. By the time we finished adding options our stay for one night was over $700 for the complete package. Needless to say, this was a once in a lifetime purchase for us, and we were determined to enjoy ourselves. And we did!
During our stay, everywhere we went (restaurant, spa, etc) we made sure to mention to the people that checked us in that we had bought a package that included whatever item we were enjoying at the time, be it the meal, the spa, whatever...and they all looked in their computers and said basically, "yup there it is."
When we went to check out, however, something interesting happened. My husband went to check out and suddenly our bill was over $1000, not the $700 we were expecting. He asked to see an itemized bill, and the first bill we were given showed $700 for the one night in the room plus all of the charges for the meals the spa visits, etc, added on the top. So my husband tried to explain to the young man at the counter that we had purchased a package that was to have included all of this stuff and that we should have some credits coming at least from the pre-purchases we had from the restaurant. "oh, yes." He said, I can credit you $50 for the restaurant. "No, you dont' understand, we purchased a $100 certificate for $60 and a $60 certficiate for $40, that means you need to credit our account for $160, what we agreed on when we checked in."
"Oh, yes, sir. I understand. I can put a $100 credit on your restaurant bill."
"No, you don't understand, we paid a total of $100 to receive $160 worth of food, and you are only giving us credit for $100."
And so on and so on. It wasn't until my husband basically had to throw a temper tantrum to get an itemized bill of the original $700 charge that showed that we had pre-purchased EVERYTHING that the front desk man finally backed down and allowed us to check out without double paying for every one of the services we received. The whole time, we got the feeling off of him that we were trying to rip him off and we were just trying to show that we had already prepaid for all the services when we checked in and that the front desk in adding up our bill had basically charged us for everything again.
Now, normally I would put this up to just having someone new and inexperienced at the front desk. I am a business owner myself and I understand that happens and I would have just let this go and marked it up to a new person in training.
THEN, however, we were visiting with my brother in law who was the person to recommended this resort to us in the first place. We told him about our wonderful visit and how much we enjoyed it and then proceeded to tell him about our weird experience with the double charges at check in. "You're kidding!" he said. "We had EXACTLY the same thing happen to us when we stayed there! Like you guys, we thought it was just a lack of communication with the staff or that someone was new and didn't know what they were doing, but it looks like this happens quite a lot."
So there is a our story. Again, we had a marvelous stay and I may just stay there again, but I tell you what I will insist on that itemized bill at the end and make sure we were charged the correct amount.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and bringing this to our attention. Looks like we were able to handle prior to you leaving but if there is anything further please let us know. I will be sure this is addressed on our end and my sincere apologies for this issue upon departure. Thank you
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights as part of a conference for work.

The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was particularly large, updated and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable.

If I had any complaint about the room, it's the lack of a functional desk area if you're travelling on business and need to get some work done back in the room. Sure, there was a good sized table, but it was rather high for a desk, and the lounge style chairs provided would be fine for relaxed dining, but hardly ergonomic for work. Even if you're not there for work, if you're like me and like to sort through vacation photos on the computer at the end of the day, you'll get a soar back and arm trying to lean over the table.

The internet access was acceptable. Not blazingly fast, but adequate. It cuts out occasionally, but for the most part, was fairly seemless around the resort as we moved around to different meeting rooms.

The conference facilities were excellent. The large ballroom accomodated our group nicely. The smaller meetings rooms were great for breakout sessions. The food provided was excellet.

The setting of the resort is also beautiful. Set nicely below Camelback mountain, the desert views from the resort pool, particularly at sunset, are wonderful.

Location is a very subjective thing to rate. It's reasonably close to the airport (about 20 min), which is nice. It's only about a 10 minute cab ride into downtown Scottsdale. Whether that's good or not, I suppose depends on what you're looking for. I like it, because it feels seculded, but we were still able to easily head into town for some different entertainment and meals when needed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! So pleased you were able to enjoy your conference here with us and at such an amazing time of the year!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Surrounded by gorgeous mountains and splendid views, Montelucia is a true oasis, with an elaborate although not overbearing middle-eastern / Morrocan decor. Very serene and peaceful atmosphere. Although the hotel was full during our stay, it never felt that way. Service was excellent and prompt, swimming pool (oasis one- adult only) was really relaxing. Have reviewed the Joya Spa separately. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review. So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just returned from a girls getaway to Scottsdale. We chose the Montelucia because we wanted to spend the majority of the weekend relaxing at a beautiful hotel and the resort grounds certainly did not disappoint. The public areas are landscaped perfectly and absolutely stunning - not a blade of grass out of place. There are charming little areas everywhere - a bocce court, comfortable chairs surrounding firepits, fruit-tree lined walkways, etc. Whether it was the blossoms of those trees or something else, the entire property smelled amazing to boot. We did go to Old Town Scottsdale one night for dinner (Citizens Public House - excellent, followed by drinks at Mabels on Main - also excellent), but really had no reason to leave the resort other than wanting to explore a bit. (We took the free trolley, which is a nice service if you don't have a rental car, but we probably should have just taken a cab).

Unfortuantely, especially given the extremely high standard of the grounds, we found our room lacking. The hotel accomodated our request for 2 queens, but we were placed in a back building at the far end of the property. In a way this was nice because it was extra quiet but it also felt very removed from the main areas. The room itself was large, but the furniture somehow felt bulky and odd in the space. The room was also extremely dark (no natural light), which contributed to the more dated feel. The amenities were nice (Keurig, wine opener with real wine glasses, etc) and we loved the little seating area outside, which had very comfortable chairs, but the top of our patio table was flaking off. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well, though the sheets were oddly loud (almost as if the featherbeds were covered in plastic wrap). My friend and I could hear each time the other person turned over in their bed. Clearly the room was by far our biggest disappointment, which was unfortunate considering that was also the most expensive part of the trip. Luckily the weather was perfect so we spent a lot of time at the pool. It's possible that the other buildings are newer and we were unlucky in the room assignment - the buildlings with two floors did seem to get better light on the top floor.

Other comments... We did the Yoga Flow class on Friday morning and it was oustanding. The instructor was one of the best I've had in a long time and the view of the mountain from the yoga studio was absolutely breathtaking. That hour and half was certainly a highlight of the trip. I highly recommend the class if you're at all into yoga (my friend had only tried yoga twice and still enjoyed herself thoroughly). Afterwards we visited the spa for massages. As with the other main areas of the resort, the spa facilities themselves are great. The small rituals they recommend as you enter the spa could be considered a little cheesy (selecting a stone and making a wish, touching the healing crystal, etc.) but it was something different and did make the experience more memorable. The massages themselves were forgettable, but we loved the steam room, cold deluge (not as cold as I expected), and especially the whisper/nap room. Had we not been so anxious to get to the pool and order lunch, we could have spent hours lounging and reading in there! The spa pool was another highlight, given it's elevated location and thus gorgeous view of Camelback. It was our favorite of the 3 pools. Our waitress was great and the lunch menu up there was delicious as well.

Speaking of pools, we tried to visit the main pool on Saturday because it seemed to be a little more "happening", but were not able to find lounge chairs since it was so crowded. We were getting a late start, having hiked up the Camelback Cholla trail that morning (touristy/crowded, but fun), but were nonetheless disappointed not to find a spot. We ended up back at the adults only pool which had plenty of seats (though filled up as the day went on).

We tried each of the restaurants, including room service, and all were good, though the food started to all taste the same by the end of the trip. There is clearly one shared ktichen.

The spa shop and resort shop were also fabulous - bring some extra spending money since both have a great selection for women. The main cafe sells golf shirts for men and other more casual items such as tshirts, as well as snacks/wine bottles that you can take back to your room.

A final word about the overall value. Others here have commented on the "daily resort fee" which by the end of our stay also rubbed us the wrong way. Though the service is excellent across the board, one would expect that level of service anyway given the cost of the rooms (nearly $500/night for us, during peak season), so all of the add-ons start to make you feel a bit nickel and dimed. For example, we were charged $3 each for plastic cups of soda water at the adults only pool (note: water from the "gun" at the bar, not like it was pelligrino or something)! We were shocked when we received our bill that day. I think the spa also included an automatic 20% gratuity to our services, which in hindsight may have contributed to the reason the massages were so mediocre.

All and all we enjoyed our time at the Montelucia and we decided we probably would go back (with or without our husbands), but only if we could score a significant discount on the room rate. In my friends words: "Honestly we had a great time and the resort is gorgeous, but the room was WAY overpriced."

Room Tip: Would not recommend building 15 - though extra quiet since it's at the rear corner of the resort...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to detail out your stay and review each area. Sorry you do not have the experience most guests have but I hope overall you had a great time with your girlfriends and could possibly return one day!
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have visited Scottsdale/Paradise Valley quite a few times. However, this was our first time at the Montelucia. I must say, we absolutely loved it!!! After a very stressful couple of months, we were craving a peaceful escape from reality.. This place satisfied us on all levels and surpassed our expectations. Oasis pool is where we were stationed most of the time though we did get a little one on one time with the staff. All of the staff was so pleasant and happy, which definitely added to the experience. My wife and I stopped in the boutique and Sarah took care of my wife and engaged in a long conversation with me. She was wonderful and so accommodating. We love people like this! Prado was delish and we had a wonderful server. We will be back again... more than once I'm sure of it!

• Stayed March 2013
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. So pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

After a very hectic day followed by a flight to Phoenix I showed up around 8:30 p.m. for my confirmed reservation at Montelucia. I still had a great deal of work to do and was anxious to get to my room. And then the manager advised me that he was terribly sorry (and he seemed to be) but that they were "underdeparted" that day. Which I did not understand for a few seconds and then realized he was saying he did not have a room for me. He went on to say that they had made reservations for me at a comparable property that was reasonably nearby. Nevertheless, with the work I had to complete that night, I was a very long ways from happy.

In any event, I would up staying at the comparable property and then returned to Montelucia for the following two nights. Every person I spoke to that was involved with the situation was extremely nice, helpful and apologetic. Montelucia paid for my room at the other hotel and did not charge me for anything for that night. In addition, they comped an expensive dinner for my wife and I at the hotel restaurant, Prado, which was excellent. So, they did not just say they were sorry, they showed it.

The grounds at this hotel are spotless, the architecture interesting, the rooms very nice, but the people that work here set it apart. Although, at the moment I was being turned away I certainly did not expect to be saying this, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am very pleased to hear that you were happy with your stay even with us having to relocate you for one evening! Hope to see you and your wife again soon!

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!