“Quiet, Romantic and absolutely amazingggg” 5 of 5 stars

Hermosa Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5532 N. Palo Cristi Rd., Paradise Valley, AZ 85253   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Arizona
“Quiet, Romantic and absolutely amazingggg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

I decided to surprise my girlfriend with a relaxing staycation getaway. It did not feel like we were in Arizona. This was for our 3 year anniversary, and when I first saw the room I thought it was absolutely perfect. You walk into the room and to the right there is a beautiful fire, and when you look up there is a HUGE skylight, that can also be closed if you want to sleep in in the morning. The bathroom was my favorite part of the room. All white tile, and a large tub that was big enough for me and my girlfriend to fit into.....Not the mention that the staff was superb. They left us to ourselves, but I had this feeling that if we needed anything it would be taken care of no problem. Keep in mind that this is in Paradise Valley, so you get what you pay for. This is definately worth the money!!! If you live in Phoenix, or are from out of town, I would recommend the Hermosa Inn and also there restaurant Lon's at Hermosa. Has a lot of history, and if you are local check out there dinner with the chef on Tuesday nights!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Tempe, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

We arrived to find out that the property was under massive construction on one side, and guess which side our room was on? There was no indication at all on their website regarding renovations. Our room had a patio with a charming view of a construction fence. I was woken up by construction the next morning, after having gone to bed early since I couldn't get any work done on the wireless internet that was "down."
The restaurant is pretty good but overpriced.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NewYork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

Stayed @ the Hermosa for Husband's 50th. Although reservations made in advance, & several rooms appeared empty , we were given a room right by the parking lot. We ate dinner @ Lon's Restaurant on premises. The pork was undercooked, which the waitress shined her flashlight on & indicated that it was pink due to being smoked, which I would have believed except for the fact that 3 of the tenderloin slices were white, & the other 2 were pink. She offered to take it back to the kitchen, upon which I was trying to give the 2 underdone pieces to her, but she snatched the entire plate. Upon returning, the pork was overdone, appeared the cook fried each individual piece to a tough shoe leather consistency, not at all indicative of fine dining. Additionally, my husband was halfway through his meal before this travesty appeared from the kitchen, so much for Romance. I'm not sure if it was incompetence, or the cook was retaliating. Rest of food heavily laden with butter & fat. The sorbet for dessert was quite good, as was the salad so I would give them another chance to redeem themselves, however, my husband does not want to ever return.
Following this, we were planning to go take a dip in the heated hot tub / pool. We were told the pool/ hot tub were open 24 hours. However, they were freezing. Apparently they were trying to save $ by not heating them, and ther were bugs floating in pool that looked like it had not been skimmed for several days or longer. The next day when I mentioned this to the manager, he indicated that this was between there busy season & offered me complimentary breakfast which I reflected was already included in our room. So much for trying to satisfy your clientele. Additionally, we were eatting breakfast on the patio, when the maintenance was busy moving furniture & making noise w/ garden equipment. Couldn't that wait until late morning before lunch?
Anyway, do yourselves a favor, fly into Flagstaff insyead of Phoenix & stay @ LA POSADA in WINSLOW, AZ. The rooms are twice as large with couch & chairs, Jacuzzi tubs, Museum interior & HALF THE PRICE!!!! FABULOUS restaurant THE TURQUOISE ROOM,where the chef has a cookbook of his own, and the southwest cuisine is so good people take the train from Albequerque just to eat there!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

The Hermosa is a hotel I thought no longer existed, with exquisite grounds and rooms, and exceptional personal service. Its large, beautiful rooms and casitas are surrounded by impeccably landscaped grounds of desert fauna. Despite the prime Paradise Valley/Scottsdale location, the historic inn has avoided the temptation to squeeze in more rooms. The service is not just excellent -- it is personal. I have never had a hotel staff make me feel more at home, and more like an honored guest. Manager Tim Jesson made us feel like a personal guest in his home. The restaurant had top notch food and service, and the prices were very reasonable - no more than Marriott Hotel restaurant prices, for an exceptional restaurant with a well deserved reputation. And the internet price for the stay was very reasonable. I travel a lot on business, and stay at high quality hotels. Hermosa was unique, relaxing, extremely conducive to meeting with business colleagues in a quiet setting, and accommodating of special needs. This will now be my "go to" hotel for my frequent trips to the Phoenix area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
FlOrange Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

My favorite place to stay in America, for so many, many reasons! Whenever there has been a problem, the Hermosa Inn has fixed it. The pool is SO perfect in the hot, hazy days of Arizona heat. Great service; the breakfasts are to die for (and free!), and dinner at Lon's is incredible. The rooms are quaint, and if flawed, almost perfect because of the earlier charm of an Arizona ( I thought long lost ) the Inn captures. I love the rooms and have been there a half dozen times, almost a month of stay time, and will be going back again in June this year .
I have been to heaven;
it is called the Hermosa Inn!

• Liked — AN OLDER Arizona charm plus LOVELY POOL AND RESTAURANT
  • Disliked — There are no leasts.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berkeley, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

Wow. We did not stay here but ate at their very pricey restaurant.
The food was fabulous. However it was marred by the horrible service.
When we arrived for an 8:00 PM dinner, the front desk clerk was telling a very detailed story to some guest and had us stand for at least five minutes before he acknowledged our arrival. He commented that he thought we were with the group he was talking to. After being seated outside, it was very dark and the tables are lit was small gas lanterns.
Our waiter told us not to turn it up because they did not have enough lights for the tables and that all of his flashlights were stolen. I ordered a drink (Old Fashion) from the bar and it was made incorrectly. I was told by the waiter that I didn't have to drink it if I didn't like it. I sent it back and the same drink came back with a bit more booze in it but it was still incorrect. The waiter brought over the the assistant manager for me and he told me he would take it off my bill but by looking at it it looked fine to him!!!! Our salads (which we amazing) were served way too quickly and then we were ignored for about ten minutes before our waiter passed by our empty wine glasses once and then decided to pour us more wine. Our entrees arrived (the steak was great as well as the salmon) our waiter gave the steak knife to our salmon eater. When it was time for dessert we asked him to describe some of the desserts and then he failed to give everyone at the table menus.
He was arrogant and rude. Upon leaving we thought we would check in with the bartender to see if he knew what an Old Fashion was, but he totally ignored us and went to help the only other person in the bar. We spoke to the General Manager who was very apologetic, but did not offer a solution. Her response was "What can I do to make this better?" instead of, "Let me buy you a drink or How about I take 10% off you bill?" All in all, great food, but I suggest that the Chef find a better place to serve his goodies if they cannot find the high end staff to serve high end food.

Stayed April 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We booked the Hermosa Hideaway package with a King bed for New Year's Eve 2007. Our troubles began upon check in. We checked in and were shown to our room and were immediately surprised and upset to find a Queen sized bed and no fireplace. A week prior to our stay, we specifically emailed the hotel to inquire about fireplaces. We received a timely response ensuring us that ALL rooms at The Hermosa Inn had fireplaces. We immediately voiced our concerns to the front desk, and we were given the option of changing to what we believe is a "Rancho" room. This one did have a King bed and fireplace, but we had to move our belongings ourselves across the property.

The second room was better, but it was annoying and inconvenient to change rooms at a hotel when paying $400+ a night. It should have been correct the first time. Furthermore, someone at this hotel is incompetent if they are informing guests that all rooms have fireplaces when that is clearly not the case. Two other small details that were unacceptable given the price: the remote control for the main room's TV in the initial room did not work. Secondly, the chocolate strawberries that we were presented were pretty nonchalantly thrown on a plate. Again, not that big of a deal, but for the price, the presentation should have been exemplary.

We settled into our new room and enjoyed our champagne. Around 6:00pm we both became hungry, and we inquired as to what options were available. We asked about room service and/or appetizers in the bar. We were informed that no such food was available; because it was New Year's Eve, there was not room service and the dining room was only fixing the fixed menu meal. We understand that New Year's Eve is a holiday, but such a holiday should not incapacitate and overwhelm the kitchen to the point that no other food is available. What if we hadn't planned on eating in the restaurant that night? It's not like it is mandatory for guests to dine at Lon's. It was 6:00pm and we had 9:30pm dinner reservations since that is all that was available. We were hungry and had been drinking champagne, so leaving the property was not an option. No one thought to offer us even bread, which was clearly available since it was served at dinner. We then called back a second time to find out if the restaurant might be able to figure something out if we were sitting in the bar, and the person on the phone was very rude and hurried and said that if we came to the bar that "someone might be able to figure something out for you" but they were very "busy" at the moment. This is really atrocious at a hotel that calls itself "a luxury boutique." When we returned from dinner we had not gotten turn down service (it is the principle of this fact that bugs us). No one had removed the leaky champagne bucket either.

Our poor stay wrapped up in the morning when we went to check out and perhaps get breakfast. There was one guest complaining about something when we arrived in the lobby, so the person at the front desk left to try to find the maintenance person and help that guest. The front desk then stayed unattended for 10 minutes (while the phone rang off the hook and others of us waited patiently). The maintenance person finally appeared and proceeded to get into a "discussion" with the person at the front desk while we were checking out - this totally interrupted us paying our HUGE bill and was unprofessional to say the least. We couldn't believe that the front desk person and maintenance person would carry on that unprofessionally and tactlessly while guests waited in the lobby. Before we left, we asked if breakfast was available (which had been advertised and promoted in our package), and we were informed that "if you go in there right now they will probably still be able to help you." We were miffed that we "might" get helped for breakfast at 10:00am when it was supposedly included in our package.

Overall, the main issue with The Hermosa Inn (and Lon's) is that it is way overpriced for the service offered. Our bill wasn't even adjusted for the cheaper room we ultimately stayed in. We spent more at The Hermosa Inn in less than 24 hours than we spent in 2 nights at a luxury hotel on Vancouver Island with all 3 meals included. The service there was amazing, impeccable and attentive and set the standard for what luxury means. Luxury does not mean telling guests that all rooms have fireplaces when they do not. Luxury does not mean telling guests that no food is available until dinner at 9:30pm. Luxury does not mean leaving the front desk unattended. Luxury certainly does not mean maintenance people and front desk people arguing in front of guests, and luxury does not mean telling guests that breakfast "might" be available if they hurry.

A traveler has not had a good experience at your property if they wished they would have just stayed home for the night. The property is quaint and pretty, though, so it has much potential.

Stayed December 2007

Been to Hermosa Inn? Share your experiences!