“Wonderful vacation resort” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Gilbert, Arizona
“Wonderful vacation resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I love this resort. The staff is wonderful, they worked very hard to take care of any concern that I might have. The unit was fantastic. It was large, clean, comfortable and very well-equipped. The location is beautiful with lots of nature to explore. This is one of my favorite places to visit and I will come back whenever there is an opportunity!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This resort is first rate even in the off season/shoulder season. Our 2BR/2BA unit was very large, clean and had a very well-equipped kitchen. There is a washer/dryer in the unit and a BBQ on the balcony which was easy to use. While the pool was not yet heated, the hot tub was, as well as the childrens pool. There is a nice playground and open areas for kids to play. There is a nice clubhouse with pool tables and ping pong, which you can use for a nominal charge. There is a very small exercise room. And while we stayed here on a timeshare exchange, there was no sales push. The businesses on the grounds were all closed, most due to open mid-April. The staff here were very friendly. This resort is located in the small town of Overgaard. There is almost nothing to do in the town itself, but if you are willing to drive, there are several wonderful day trips to take, including the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert National Park. Couple of other things. The grocery store in town is small with a fairly poor selection of foods, and the produce was marginal. There is a Safeway in Show Low (35 miles) and one in Payson (40 miles), so stop there to do your shopping. And while the wifi works great, there is a weekly charge of $14.95, and you can only hook up 2 items. You cannot purchase additional service. This is a real inconvenience. For the 3 of us with 2 Ipads, one laptop and one Kindle Fire, we had to make the decision as to which two items would be on the wifi.
We would definately stay here again, and would recommend this to our friends. The resort and the set up of the units made this a relaxing and enjoyable place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms over the pool/playground area are nice if you have kids, so you are able to sit on your balcon...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
St. Simons Island, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

The unit is huge. Extremely large bathrooms, nice kitchen. The kids loved the game room and spent all their time there while we were at the resort. The staff is so friendly and goes out of their way to be helpful. I was really impressed with the comfort of the units. The fireplace was perfect, nice front and back balcony/porch. We used the barbecue grill and the individually packaged spices were perfect for spaghetti night. The sheets were soft, beds comfortable. I wouldn't change a thing. It's one of the nicest places we've stayed with the family.

• Stayed April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a wonderful resort. The staff couldn't be any more helpful. The resort is very well maintained. We stayed there in January. Temps were in the 50s. Our only complaint was that there are activities scheduled by the resort, but they are not very well publicized. Only a small calendar posted on a bulletin board in the lobby. There was talk of a welcoming event, but the fact that week-long guests check in on both Fridays and Saturdays seemed to cause the staff to be confused themselves as to whether and when such an event would be held. The result was that no such event occurred, plus none of the scheduled activities (such as bingo) happened because no one other than us signed up. It was obvious to us that this was because other guests didn't know about them. Aside from that, our experience at the resort was very positive and we would recommend it to others without any qualifications.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor. There was some noise from kids running and bouncing on the second floor...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Austell, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

First, this is a highly seasonal resort. During the winter, the sidewalks are poorly maintained and become icy death-traps. I almost killed myself on an ice covered ramp at night. Further, activities like horsebacking and hiking become far less pleasurable in the dead of winter and (like many worldmark resorts) the local towns have next to no tourism value. The nearest movie theater is 40 minutes away, there are only 2 or 3 restaurants nearby...etc.

Secondly, but not entirely unrelated to my first point: shopping and local patronage, hiking, fishing, etc. Will only entertain you for so long. You will need some age appropriate entertainment for your guests.
___________

Worldmark resorts don't compare to other hotels as a general rule. All (Most) of them have full kitchens, 3 and 4 bedroom units aren't un-common. If I were to book a best western or doubletree therefore, and receive the room I did, it would be a five. As an owner though, I have to compare this property against the others and I was a little unhappy with the room I received.

The knives were dull, there were really bad hard-water build-up in the sinks and showers, poor water-pressure besides, the furniture was oddly laid out, as were the rooms, there was no tub in the master suite. Some of these things (like dull knives and hard-water, not to mention a poorly maintained public space in the winter) speak to bad management.

On the other hand, the unit did have 2 balconies including a private one in the master. The decorations were nice, the hand-carved dining room set was a nice touch and the boardwalk area was generally delightful, although it suffers from abandoned storefronts and over-priced specialty shops that seem out of place, like a soap boutique and a Christmas store that also sells 50 dollar handbags for 150.

In my opinion you should plan no more than 7 days here, even during the spring and probably no more than 4-5 here during the off season.

• Stayed December 2012
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We live south of Tucson and try to escape the heat several times during the summer months. Last year we went to Pinetop, this year we decided to give Bison Ranch Resort a try. We were both very pleased with the accommodations and the friendly staff. The unit is fully furnished including a washer and dryer. There are 2 decks and you own gas grill. The resort provided coffee, tea and dish detergent, but remember to bring your own shampoo and conditioner (they do not provide this). We were in a bottom floor unit which avoids the steps, but you do have the noise from the unit above. The resort is located by a western town with shops and restaurants within walking distance. There is a well stocked IGA store about 5 miles away. If you want to venture farther, Show Low and Pinetop are about 30 minutes away. Darby's in Pinetop is great place to eat. We also ate at the Red Onion which was very good. The resort provides information on multiple day trips and the staff provides local flavor of the area. There is a charge for wireless in the room, but you can use their PC or wireless in the lobby free of charge. It was a very good place for a quiet vacation

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at this World Mark Resort for an overnighterr stay on my way home. Wish my stay would have been longer to have time to explorer the resort and city.
While driving through town seeking for Bison Ranch, Overgaard seemed quite peaceful....compared to the large city that I reside in. The most vehicles that I saw that evening was at the local American Legion parking.
Once I arrived at the resort, I entered the wrong building. Luckily I saw an announcement on a bulletin board explaining World Mark check-in was at a different building. I didn't mind walking to the correct building that does have a large sign stating " World Mark" on the front doors.
When I entered my room, I was very pleased....felt like home. After a few minutes, the front desk called to do a "follow-up". I appreciated that!
I didn't want to go out of the area to purchase dinner, therefore, I decided to order pizza from the resort. Sadly, it was after 9 p.m. and I was unable to place an order...they were closed by 8:30 p.m. It was then that I realized that many local restraunts close early in Overgaard. I settled with a candy bar from the vending machine located in the game room. The facilities in the resort close at 10 pm (swimming pool and game room) Didn't get the opportunity to seek for a gym at the resort.
Although I was at Bison Ranch for a few hours, I definately enjoyed my stay. I really hope I get another opportunity to stay at this location in the future.

Room Tip: I did not have an elevator to second floor. Not sure if all rooms are in second floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to WorldMark Bison Ranch? Share your experiences!