“good basic choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Apia
LA
“good basic choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

I stayed in the budget rooms several times while in Apia. They have 2 types of budget rooms for 50 or 60 tala. Both are ok with the 60 having a better view and seemingly in better condition. The location is good for buses leaving from the fish market bus station but otherwise not as good as Valentines, my preferred choice. No breakfast included but they do accept credit cards. You have to be ok with walking through a modern, high priced hotel on your way out back to the cheap rooms. The front porch is a nice place to sit in the evening.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

This is a ok place to base yourself while in Apia, regardless of your budget. I stayed in a single room for 50 tala/night in the budget wing (about the cheapest you'll find in Apia), which wasn't especially appealing to look at, but the mattress was good and the sheets clean, and the ceiling fan kept it cool enough. The floor was a patchwork of cheap lino and tape. The "kitchen" is just a sink, fridge, and microwave. If there are any plates, bowls, cutlery, etc, then I couldn't find them. The lounge has some seats and a TV with a 5-inch screen. However, you also have access to the high quality main hotel amenities, like the pool area, computer area, etc.

The main hotel is a world away, both in quality and pricing. Modern, well decorated, large rooms. It really is quite an attractive boutique hotel that would please a westerner looking for all the mod-cons.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

rooms have the smell of smoke even though the fan goes all night.
insects attack us on the first night.
we have to use towels for the 6 nights we were there - sheets got changed once only.
restaurant was expensive but poor quality food

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Christchurch
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

I had a room on the top floor which was large enough to play tennis in. There is no elevator, so you need to climb 8 flights of stairs.
The restaurant and bar are comfortable but there are nice restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Stayed in the basic budget room with shared bath. Very clean and perfectly comfortable so it was excellent value. Good location and pretty quiet. Staff very nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

The Elisa hotel was new to me, I have stayed in Samoa over 60 times in the last, almost, 20 years, but had never stayed here before! As I travel, mostly, for business, internet access is very important to me. Before i booked I emailed the hotel and on 4 occasions was assured they have excellent "new" wireless internet facilities! Upon arrival I am told "Oh sorry sir the room with the good internet access is full, you can move in tomorrow" The next day the reply was "Oh sorry sir the man in that room has packed and is ready to leave but he has gone out and we cannot just move his bags out when he is not here". The next day the answer was "Oh sorry sir the man has refused to leave his room" So needless to say, I never did get access to the internet as required and promised. Even the internet cafe at the hotel was rotten. Often taking 15 minutes to log on, and when you are charged by the hour that can be very frustrating
On the other hand the rooms were OK, quite comfortable and fairly clean. Only saw two cockroaches and both very small, which for a Pacific island Hotel is good. TV was poor one religious only channel and two rugby channels.
Restaurant food was EXCELLENT, really top class, I would even consider going there for dinner only next time I stay in Apia, even though I will not stay at this hotel.
One more point to ponder, make sure you get in writing from any hotel in the Pacific, how many days you are being chraged for and when check-in and check-out times are! As most flights to Samoa from Aus and NZ arrive in the early hours or around midnight, you WILL be charged for a full day stay even if you check in 2 minutes before the check-in time. On my last stay I was there for less than 4 full 24 hour periods (3 days and 18 hours actually) but was charged for 6 full days, the reason given is that although I arrived at around 2am, they had held the room for me since 10 am the day before (Despite the room I ordered with the internet access not being ready for me at all) and of course as i was not leaving for the airport until 8pm they charged me for the full day again.
Another thing to wary of is when asking for a cab to the airport! Despite the fact that there is a taxi rank 50m away, the concierge called a taxi for me, which took 20 minutes to arrive. All the while 20 taxis went past the hotel. The concierge had called his cousin to pick me up, which I did not know until halfway to the airport. When the cab pulled up at the hotel the rack on the roof holding the taxi sign, fell off and was put into the boot. The trip to the airport was not good as the driver was almost asleep and complaining of a headache, very nerve wracking.
Despite the above if you just want a no frills hotel with good food Elisa is fine, if you need internet access ask any hotel in samoa what type they have and if it is Lavasoft or Lavaspot wireless then avoid it

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Auckland NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

My sister and I booked a triple room the day before we checked. When we arrived on 24/2 (stayed 3 nights), we had to ask for another set of towels and some more pillows. We even had to ask for toilet rolls as there were no spare ones. I left instructions with reception to advise housekeeping that there were 3 of us in the room. The next day we still had to ask for more towels and more toilet rolls. I was surprised that they did not have an iron and ironing board in the room as I had read one of the reviews before we left for Samoa that they had irons and ironing boards in the closet. I asked for some face tissues but was told that they had run out of stock on our first day. Surprisingly enough, they hadn't got their stock when we left 3 days later.
The towels in our room had make up on and I am not surprised as there were no face tissues for women's make up removal. (not that I wear make up myself)
I agree with other reviews about the customer service needs to improve.
The room was nice & spacious and comfortable. I also think the wireless internet of $20 an hour was too expensive.I must say that the tropical breakfast that came with the room rate was great, except we missed out on breakfast on the morning of the tsunami scare.
Toreka Grey
Auckland NZ

• Stayed February 2010

Been to Hotel Elisa? Share your experiences!