“Trouble from the start - Rude service to food poisoning” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coconuts Beach Club

You added Coconuts Beach Club to your Saves list
Coconuts Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   South Coast, Maninoa Village | PO Box 3684, Apia, Upolu, Samoa   |
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Apia
Auckland
“Trouble from the start - Rude service to food poisoning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was my first island holiday ever and I wanted to make it a great one. I spent hours searching for the best deal and best accomodation but after all my efforts I was thoroughly dissapointed with Coconuts. To quickly summarise the service was terrible, management difficult to deal with and rude, the food gave my mum food poisioning and the beach disappointing.

When we arrived at reception after dark due to our plane being delayed were taken to our room by a man who couldnt speak any english and couldnt give us any information about the resort or even where the resturant was. I had booked for a treehouse room and found that we were on the ground level in the corner of the resort with no view. I could not do anything about it that night since it was after reception was open but the next morning requested an upstairs room since this is what I had been lead to beleive a 'treehouse' room was. They couldnt organise one that day but we did manage to get one for the remaining 4 nights of our trip. The room was ok but sheets were a bit musty.

At the restaurant the waiters were quite rude and you felt like you were being an annoyance by ordering or asking any questions. We were left unsure about how the meal deal worked and how to pay for the extra items not included on the meal deal. The food was often too rich and oily which after all the hype I had heard about Mika's famous food wasnt great but we had to eat there as we had paid for it in advance and there are no other places to eat near the resort except Sinelia Resort. On the 3rd night I woke up to my mum having horrendous food poisioning. She could not leave the room for 2 days. I had tried to find some help early that morning but no one was around and when I did I was given some disinfectant to clean up the room myself. I spoke to Mika, the chef later who denied it being his food and said no one else had reported anything to him and it must be overexposure to the sun. In the pool later that day I overheard some other guests saying their partners had severe stomach cramps aswell.

The beach and snorkelling wasnt that great. It wasnt exactly the idyllic paradise with palm trees lining the white sand that I had imagined but some volcanic rock holding up some sand. The coral was dead and hardly anything to see while snorkelling.

I had a great time exploring the island when we left the resort and do not regret choosing Samoa at all. It is a wonderful untouched place, full of culture and has beautiful beaches if you can rent a car and explore them. I do have some wonderful memories from our trip but mostly from our time outside the resort.

Not only did we have a hard time with the staff while we stayed at Coconuts but 5 months later we got an email accusing us of not paying for our meal deal (approx $900). I had paid this well in advance of our trip and had the bank statement entry to prove it which I emailed to them. We have never had any apology for the rude accusation or any acknowledgment that they recieved the email back from us. Basically we just kept an eye on our credit card statements to make sure they didnt charge us without telling us.
They management is poor and trying to sort anything out with them was difficult due to language barriers.

I wish I had better things to say because I was really excited about staying there as it looked so unique but I would not recommend it to anyone. Stay away from Coconuts but definitely visit Samoa!

• Disliked — The service for such an expensive resort
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

Having seen some poor reviews for Coconuts, I felt I had to get on and tell you about our experience at Coconuts Beach Resort Samoa.

From the moment we arrived at Coconuts, the staff could not have been more helpful - they truly make the experience of visiting Samoa! The resort itself is outstanding - however if you're looking for 5 star luxury accommodation, go somewhere else. The rooms are clean and spacious, but note that there are no tv's, radios or telephones in your room. If you're looking for that sort of thing, head to Fiji or Hawaii instead! The worst thing we can say about our room was that the shower temperature was unpredictable - freezing cold to boiling hot without moving the taps. Otherwise, it was a lovely room, comfortable bed (pillows are a bit on the flat side) and had everything we needed.

The rooms are cleaned every day by a team of housekeeping staff - note that it's not all done at once. For example, your towels will be taken by one lady then replaced later in the day by another. Once a week your room will be sprayed for mosquitos - the smell can be a bit strong when you first come back in but not too bad once you open some windows. All rooms have ceiling fans and air conditioning, so there is no reason not to be completely comforable in your room.

The resatuant and bar at Coconuts is superb - the food was just delicious at every meal (we did the meal deal and can highly recommend it) and the drinks lovely (note that the ladies behind the bar measure spirits fairly liberally so the drinks tend to pack a punch!).

The resort itself is beautifully maintained - we did not encounter anything that we could complain about at all. It can take some of the staff a couple of days to warm up to visitors but once they do, it's like visiting old friends.

Remember that if you're going to Samoa, you're going to experience the culture as well as relax. Coconuts host a Cultural Day every Saturday - well worth attending. Hosted by the wonderful Albert, you will get an insight into traditional Samoan culture that many visitors probably wouldn't ever get the chance to. Also, do a tour or 2 while you're there. The guides from Coconuts are fantastic (particularly Tala) and will deviate from their route if they think of something you might like.

If you are heading to Samoa, Coconuts will give you everything you're looking for. Remember that Samoa has a very traditional culture and you should always remember to be sensitive and respectful to this culture. If you do this, you'll be welcomed by the staff and locals alike (my husband made a couple of very firm friends among some of the staff!).

Just remember, Fa'a Samoa!

• Liked — Hammock outside room
  • Disliked — Unpredictable shower
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I went to Samoa for our honeymoon and had a truely wonderful time. We stayed in a beach fale, and it looked exactly like it did in the pictures, the beach at cocnuts isn't that impressive, but if you walk past the overwater bungalows there is a beatuiful deserted beach, where we spent most of our time.

The front desk staff are wonderful, they will do anything possible to make your stay even better. They organise a trip every day, which you can join if you want to, they are reasonably priced, and usually last all day.

The food was nice, but it was a fixed menu, with lots of fish options, and not a lot else, we don't mind fish, but not to have it for 14 nights straight. so we did end up having the same thing a lot. They need to introduce a rolling menu or something to keep variety. Some of the restaurant staff were lovely, however, the majority of them weren't bothered, didn't smile or answer your hello/goodbyes. Some people on here have complained at how long the whole dining experience takes, well yeah it does, but after your evening meal there isn't much else to do. The bar stops serving after 10:00, so i recommend going to dinner a bit later.

The meal deal they offer is really good value, but don't buy it in advance, you can buy it on a daily basis. we booked it in advance and we missed lots of meals because of trips out, and falling asleep and missing dinner on a few occasions.... If you want a packed lunch make sure they understand you, we ordered a picnic on 4 occasions, only once did they make it for us.

The snorkling outside coconuts and Sinale resorts is ok, but there is a guy who works for coconuts called neil who for a small charge will take you off in his little boat to much better spots. Definately worth a go.

In the welcome book they reassure you that they don't have a problem with moscitos at coconuts, well thats a lie, they do.... i had over 40 bites after 2 weeks, despite wearing loads of repellent...be warned!!!!

The only other down side is that if you go there on your honeymoon, don't expect any special treatment, they aren't interested in spoiling you. We did get lots of champagne on the flight over though :o)

We would definately recommend coconuts to friends, but I would say that 1 week is enough.

Stayed June 2008
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

Coconuts while nice was the least favorite stay on my husband & my honeymoon in April '08. It was quite comfortable & the staff was friendly & helpful - but when you take into account the amazing stays we had elswhere on the islands, it fell short.

The food, while good, was nothing special. If you want the best choices, stay with the Samoan dishes (unless they have fresh clams as a special - they were the one amazing option!). The continental dishes were either too heavy or had overpowering sauces.

Kayaking to the mangrove estuary was quite fun but we found much better snorkling elswhere.

We stayed at Coconuts for 3 days as the "luxurious" section of our honeymoon but much preferred our less luxurious accomodations at Virgin Cove & Stevenson's.

• Liked — The staff was very friendly & helpful
  • Disliked — The location & set up was uninteresting... Could have been anywhere.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

we stayed in a upstairs treehouse room - lovely and spacious and very clean and best of all, a very comfortable bed - firm, but incredibly comfortable - me with spinal fusion in L4/5, so comfort was important. The food was just superb - wonderful selection and beautfiully presented. All the staff were just so friendly. We especially loved the cocktails and enjoyed happy hour - alot!! We found booking excursions easy and the staff very helpful. - we took two - one was a full day tour of north and south-east coastline of Upolu Island and the other was also a full day tour of Savai'i Island - Coconuts employees took us - wonderful tours and very enjoyable - we had lots of questions about life in Samoa, especially about the religious aspect of Samoan life - they patiently answered all our questions - we had so many!! We took up the offer of free local bus tickets and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - something that all visitors to Samoa should experience. We also hired a car from Coconuts - seemed strange driving on the "wrong side" of the road, not having experienced this before. Coconuts and Samoa is wonderful, especially if you want a laid back experience - Samoa is like most other Pacific islands and is extremely laid back.

• Liked — I liked the island style rooms using local materials.
  • Disliked — there wasn't anything we didn't like.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
nz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I was aprehensive about going to Samoa on my own but the fear was needless. The people are so friendly. I stayed at Coconuts Beach Club which was excellent. I was very impressed with the staff, I was even invited to a village wedding during my stay. The resort has everything you could wish for and more. The highlight was travelling in the local bus with pigs and chickens running around, I thought it wouldn't make it up the hills but it did.

Dunedin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

My wife and I visited Coconuts late last year for our 10day honey. Before we booked and departed for our trip we did extensive research on places to stay in the pacific, and in particular in Samoa. We also viewed the many reviews on this site, and on other travel advisory sites. We also purchased the recent Samoa Lonely planetguide. So we felt pretty prepared about what to expect.This said, it is clear from reading some of the unneccessarily negative comments here that travellers have simply failed to do some basic homework before they arrive they visit Samoa. Many of the comments unfortunately reflect pure cultural ignorance.

This review has been written as a result.

Upon arriving to Samoa from New Zealand at 11pm we were met immediately by our transfer, and after a short wait were shuttled across the island (only a 30 minute drive) to Coconuts.
As we arrived late we were taken straight to our room (Fale F). we checked in properly in the morning, with no problems.

The room itself was lovely and very spacious. Being at the end of the beach we had an unimpeded view of the sunset every night., with the beach only metres from the front porch. We had no problems with the room servicing. Although this occasionally took some time, it generally took place while we were away from the resort or room. So we never felt interrupted or put out. The rooms were very clean (certainly no problems with linen) and the airconditioning worked well. ....note, not all rooms at the other resort, Sinalei, have the advantage of airconditioning. Our minibar drinks were replenished daily, and there were no problems with the wine they supplied.

The beach, whilst not the most impressive looking, is certainly perfectly suitable for swimming and snorkelling. For those not wanting to swim infront of the resort, past the end of the beachfales there is a very lovely expansive beach. I snorkelled here many times during my stay and saw many different species of fish. And, whats more is that you seldom have to share the beach or ocean with anyone else.

My wife and I were on the meal plan. Which we would highly recommend. The cost is very very reasonable (compare this to what you might spend elsewhere). Over the course of our stay we were able to try almost everything on the extensive menu. The food is wonderful. Fresh, tasty, and expertly prepared. The Panikeke Samoa (Battered Bananas in rum sauce) were especially delicious. Our unlimited drinks were also just that.
The menu does cater for a very wide variety of tastes, and allows people the option between western style cuisine and traditional samoan fare. We enjoyed both.

The service we recieved from the dining staff was by far the best service I have recieved at a hotel/resort/ or restaurant to date. Not only were the meals served without delay, the staff were friendly, attentive, and well dressed. We were able to have many casual conversations with them over our stay, and through them really got a good knowledge of many parts of samoan culture that we would not have been able to get elsewhere.
They highly value manners, respect, and common courtesies, so if you are rude and obnoxious, like some guests were while we were there, do not expect the staff to be so tolerant.

The facilities, whilst not as immaculate as Sinalei, are very good.
The geckopool is lovely, and its swimup bar also very nice. The cocktails we had here were delicious. Certainly cheaper and larger than what you would get in New Zealand.

We also used the Kayaks on one day and took them along the beach up into the lagoon, which is very secluded and peaceful. This was really nice easy to do trip and is well worth it.

Hiring a car from the resort is very easy. They have a range of options and obtaining a license permit is very easy and cost very little. We had a two-door automatic that we took out on two seperate occasion. Though not as flash as the rental cars you might find in town, this was perfectly roadworthy and suitable for island driving. If you are on the meal plan and going out for the day you are able to order off the menu a picnic lunch. Which they pack in a large chilli bin with drinks and ice. Very handy when its very hot. Driving in Samoa is an experience that necessitates you keeping your wits about you. However, they roads around the island are not crowded at all. The main traffic is really only confined to Apia. This is bound to become slightly more problematic when they shift to lefthandside driving in july. We had a map and found navigating to various tourist spots very easy overall.
We visited some great places during our stay including...
the markets in Apia
Robert Loius Stevenson Museum
Piula Cave Pool (very refreshing)
Lots of Waterfalls
Lalomanu Beach.
Paulolo deep (very good snorkelling place in Apia)

We also used the dayspa facilities, which we found to be of a high standard also. The staff are very professional and the massages, body wraps, and facial we recieved were all very good.

Fiafia night, cultural day, and movie night were all very fun too.

We met with several honeymoon couples during our stay whose thoughts about coconuts, and the differences between Sinalei, all echoed our own.

Overall, Coconuts is a relaxed, beautiful, and friendly place to stay. The differences it has with Sinalei really come down to personal choice. Coconuts is an unprententious and uniquley traditional resort, and makes no claims to be otherwise. Those who have done their research will appreciate the nature of the resort, the way staff operate, and the general cultural customs that are part of the samoan way. If you allow you self to accept these differences then your stay at coconuts will not dissapoint you. My wife and I have some wonderful memories of our stay, and only wish it couldve been longer/
We would thoroughly recommend Coconuts to others considering a Pacific Island Honeymoon. Especially those from New Zealand. The exchange rate between the tala and nz dollar is very good at the moment.

Anyone travelling to Samoa and wanting a nice laid back place to stay should certainly consider Coconuts.

Happy Travelling

• Liked — Views and Restaurant
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Coconuts Beach Club? Share your experiences!