“Didn't live up to expectations” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cross Island Road | Motootua, Apia, Upolu, Samoa   |
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Apia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“Didn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the Samoan Outrigger Hotel for 4 nights. After reading the previous reviews, I must admit that the reality was a lot different from my expectations.

We stayed in an ensuite room with airconditioning. The room was very basic... the toilet continued to overfill and ran all day and night, the airconditioning (don't know how people can cope without it!) was ancient and noisy, heavy footsteps from the floor above and the barking dogs on the street definitely impacted on my sleep and general enjoyment of the property.

The Samoan Outrigger does have a couple of redeeming features. The pool was a great way to cool down and the included breakfast, although very light, was nice with tropical fruit, toast with butter and jam, coffee or tea. We also met some nice fellow tourists on the deck overlooking the pool in the evening.

I think that budget travellers and large groups would find the Samoan Outrigger a good option, with a communal kitchen and bbq. However, if you like a few comforts and a really relaxing Samoan holiday... maybe look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

I chose the Outrigger based on reviews here and a recommendation by friends and was extremely happy with my experience. I booked a room for 2 nights upon my arrival but decided to come back for another 2 nights at the end of my visit to Samoa. This is a very well-run hotel. I stayed in rooms 3 and 4 and paid $140 Tala ($55 USD) per night and found the rooms extremely clean and well-prepared. These rooms share a joint bathroom and shower facility. The sheets are fresh daily and even ironed! The pool is well-maintained and offers a welcome relief from the tropical heat. I LOVED the breakfasts--local fresh fruit. The staff is very professional and can help advise tours, sightseeing. They even have a rental car--I should've used them. I met some interesting guests while there. This place combines all of the positives of a classy hotel with prices comparable to a youth hostel. It's easy to catch a taxi out front 24/7 and its an easy walk to downtown. The hotel doesn't have air conditioning in these upstairs rooms but I felt that the fan was adequate. My only complaint is that people in Apia burn their trash and when there is no wind the smell can be obnoxious--but this is not the hotel's problem. I look forward to my next trip to visit Klaus and Suzy!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed at the Samoan Outrigger for two weeks with our two boys. The family room was a good option with tons of space in a bright, high-ceilinged room. Even though there were only four of us, you could easily sleep 6 people in this room. We made good use of the communal kitchen, to save money on meals. We made even better use of the pool, which was great after a day of walking/ driving around exploring.

The best thing about the Outrigger, though, is the warm and friendly staff. The owner Claus truly enjoys people and sharing the island of Upolo with visitors. The rooms are cleaned daily and the standards are high in this regard. There is a lounge with pool table, TV, and library with books and games. There is wireless Internet available for a fee. People tend to congregate around the pool deck and we enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. Highly recommend for families with kids.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

A lovely place to stay, really nice to return to after a tiring day out in the sun! the staff were helpful and friendly, always asking what out plans were, how our days had been etc and were very willing to answer any questions we had.
I would highly recommend the Samoan Outrigger to anyone wanting to travel cheaply, but with comfort and cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

The Outrigger is a nice little spot. I stayed in traditional samoan fale and it's perfect. Good value for the money. Swimmingpool, in a quiet neighborhood 15min from downtown Apia if you walk. The staff / girls are sweet and helpful. Good service and I would have no problem coming back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

I spent 5 weeks at the Samoan Outrigger while doing my medical elective in Samoa (March/April 2010). I shared a room with a colleague and was very impressed with the cleanliness and service including the friendly staff who went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. The rooms are serviced daily and the communal kitchen was more than adequate for self catering. It is the perfect location for med students doing their electives as it is only a 5min walk to TTM hospital and right around the corner from a supermarket and a great italian restaurant! It was such a treat coming home from a hot day on the wards to the inviting crystal clear pool surrounded by the beautiful tropical gardens The owners, Claus and Laena are a wonderful couple who really make you feel welcome and right at home. We met many other medical students staying at various other hotels/motels and I certainly feel we made the right choice. If you are staying in Apia for several weeks it is worth paying a bit extra for the location, cleanliness, pool and awesome staff! Will definitely be back in the future!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

The outrigger was an excellent choice for our stay in Apia. The staff were SO friendly, always helpful with questions, asking about your day, etc. we made some friends with the guests there too.
The pool and garden were great for relaxing/sunbathing. It has its own kitchen with everything you need to self-cater too. The hotel itself is very clean and tidy. Breakfast was buffet style fruits and toast with coffee/tea.
They also have a security guard out the front at night who takes a note of the number plate of the taxi’s you take into town etc, so if you lose anything (or go missing) there is a record of it. Nothing happened during our trip but it provided peace of mind.
We stayed in the ensuite room (non-air-conditioned), which was really comfy and clean. HOWEVER really noisy as the windows opened right onto a main road. So very noisy at night – I’d recommend packing some earplugs (handy for anywhere in Samoa though actually).
Thanks guys for a great stay. I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Samoan Outrigger Hotel? Share your experiences!