“A friendly place to stay in Apia” 4 of 5 stars

Samoan Outrigger Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cross Island Road | Motootua, Apia, Upolu, Samoa   |
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Apia
Adelaide, Australia
“A friendly place to stay in Apia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

The Outrigger Hotel provides a very friendly service, with lovely staff. My friend and I stayed in a traditional fale. A great Samoan experience. Very basic but a lot of fun! The hotel is within reasonable distance of downtown Apia - about 15 minutes walk. An advantage for the budget traveller is the laundry and kitchen facilities. I really enjoyed the range of people staying at the hotel, a really good and interesting mix, and the wonderful staff. Sleeping at night was disturbed by the barking dogs, crowing roosters and traffic. The first two at least difficult to get away from wherever you are on Upolu.

Room Tip: I would suggest Fale 4 or Rooms 5 or 6 for the best sleeps.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights in a fale i had booked 2 in a room then 3 in a fale but my booking was stuffed up .nice place good staff .enjoyed my stay there found a better hotel in apia for last 10 days of my trip

• Stayed June 2011
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Just got home from Samoa yesterday, staying seven nights at the Outrigger. I chose this hotel because I wanted budget accommodation as I was travelling alone for a holiday. After an early flight I arrived about 9am but my room was ready and I was able to move in immediately and was offered breakfast straight away. I had room no. 1 which was off reception, but that wasn't a disturbance. Whilst the road was close to this room it wasn't really a problem at night although it can be noisy in the day when it didn't really matter as I was usually out then.
The hotel is about a fifteen walk to town, mainly downhill, and there are three good restaurants close by, three to five minutes walk away.
The staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful. Everyday I was asked if my room was ok and did I want anything. I asked for a chair and was given one. The room was a good size and very clean. It had an ensuite and a ceiling fan, although an air conditioner would obviously have been better. A security guard sat outside every night, so it was very safe. Tourism information was provided and the staff was happy to make recommendations, even calls to restaurants to see if they were open.
The owner, Claus, asked me how I was each time he saw me, and he also asked me if I needed anything else. At the end of my trip he asked what I thought might make the hotel better, so he is keen to improve things even more.
If you want a clean and friendly place to stay that is reasonably close to town and very close to good restaurants, this is the one. If you want all the facilities of an Aggie Greys, then pay the much extra amount and stay there, but don't pay a budget price and complain when it's not 5 *.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We have just spent 6 days in Samoa and booked this hotel as previous reviews plus reasonable rates seemed too good to ignore. We had a double room with ensuite, air con, fridge, TV and coffee/tea making facilities, that meant a jug, 2 mugs and a spoon, you supply own coffee/tea. There was a "mini bar" 2 bottles of wine and another drink, with no glasses supplied.
The tropical breakfast was good on some days and dismal on others, the fruit selection often ran out and was not topped up for a while.
Location on main road and gravel driveway outside our window made it very noisey and the local cat was always hungry and wailed outside every night.
The room was serviced daily, even kind enough to supply us with used bars of soap!
The staff are lovely, very friendly and helpful and Claus surprised us when he supplied NZ visitors with a glass of red wine in sympathy with Christchurch earthquake. He also offered free calls to NZ.
We hired a car through Claus, very convenient to arrange at reception.
I recommend a drive around the Island, so picturesque and slow speed limits means time to absorb the scenery.
The pool was very clean and I swam every day, but maintenance is needed on ladder which threatens to give way when climbing out and trim around rim of pool needs replacing as rusty and broken.
Recommend Sydney Side Cafe in Central Apia if tropical breakfast isn't enough, and Aggie Greys for tours/ airport transfers as well as dining facilities.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunshine Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Choosing to stay at the Outrigger was one of the best decisions I made.

It's on one of the main roads that crosses the island, the hotel rents cars, and if you need to catch a taxi, they run past the hotel about 4 a minute, and nowhere locally costs more than around $5 Tala ($2 US).

The staff were very helpful with my inquiries, and I tried the experience of sleeping in an outdoor fale, and also in an air conditioned room.

The room I chose was comfortable, equipped with bathroom, TV, desk, fridge and clothes rack, and was cleaned every day with little touches like flowers on the bed.

Claus the manager was very understanding when I had to cut my trip short and return home, and arranged a refund for me to my card and was very perticular about getting it right.

The front desk has bottled water available, there is a pool, wi-fi access from the rooms (you need to buy a block of time which is standard everywhere in Samoa), breakfast is included every morning, there is a little store less than one minutes walk, and a restaurant a couple minutes up the road.

I would recommend The Outrigger. It may make more sense to contact the hotel direct to make your booking, as I found the only glitch some of the online booking agencies not explaining the options the hotel has in the way of rooms. (Fale or Room and fan with shared bathroom or Room with air conditioning with bathroom).

Have a great trip. Try Paddles Restaurant or Roko's for dinner, check out the markets, and be surprised by the well equipped Magik II cinema in town.

If you are looking for a lower cost alternative to the main street, but with all the emen

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Before and after my surftrip in sava'ai, i stayed at the outrigger hotel and i was very pleased. its a good midrange hotel a bit outside of apia, with a quiet surrounding and friendly staff.
the rooms and the bathrooms are clean. a good breakfast is included.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We stayed for one month whilst working at the hospital. Claus the owner was really helpful and friendly - on our friend's birthday he organised an amazing chocolate cake beautifully decorated and bought it down to breakfast. The breakfasts were the best we got during our whole stay on Samoa (and the rest of the trip) - loads of fresh fruit and lots of toast! The room was clean and cool and there was plenty of space for the three of us. We hired a car from Claus on two occassions and these were reliable and in good condition. Overall we really enjoyed our stay at Outriggers and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Samoan Outrigger Hotel? Share your experiences!