“Not the business hotel I expected but great spa” 3 of 5 stars

You added Tanoa Tusitala Hotel to your Saves list
Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beach Rd | Sogi, Apia, Upolu 1, Samoa   |
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Apia
“Not the business hotel I expected but great spa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Arrived for a conference in this hotel, very average service, the breakfast in the morning is pretty poor, they charge you extra for a black coffee!, missing towel in the room, and Internet is over 40 aud per 24h and difficult to use. It worked only in the lobby.. The good thing is that this hotel very close to down town. My wife however enjoyed the spa very much top quality, great location and one of the best massage ever. This hotel need a great rebooking how ever the room are spacious.

Room Tip: Do not expect to have good Internet connection in Apia
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Talofa, Thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I must admit I am surprised that you had trouble with internet, as we do have wireless internet throughout the hotel, and generally this works well. Unfortunatly the cost is expensive in comaprison to NZ and Australia.
Pleased that your wife enjoyed the Spa facilities at the hotel.
We hope to see you on your next visit to Samoa.
Happy Travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My fiancée and I stayed at the Tanoa Tusitala for the entire 7 nights we were in Samoa.

We loved the entire experience, all the staff were accommodating to every need and incredibly polite and friendly; I even banged into one of them down the street (off her shift) and she made sure she gave me a huge friendly smile and wave.

The atmosphere of the Tanoa Tusitala was perfect. Relaxing and not too commercial. We were actually advised to stay at Aggie Greys Lagoon resort by our Samoan friend who frequently travels from NZ home to Samoa, but decided upon Tanoa Tusitala after looking online and felt it was a better choice. This was reconfirmed for us, when we went to Aggie Greys for a couple of drinks during the day.......the Tanoa Tusitala far exceeded in service, relaxing atmosphere and ambience.

The accommodation is great, each room is very modern, with all necessities required being provided. They are clean and extremely comfortable with no noise issues.

The location for us was great, we had organized with the hotel transfers to the airport which were easily arranged and arrived on time.
We also hired a car from the hotel for 3 days which was a great convenience as we decided to do our own tour of all the sights and attractions that Upolu had to offer. This was done with ease and we were well advised on the best sights to see.

We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel before and after our adventures around the island. The food was reasonable. Next time I would probably order breakfast off the menu rather than the buffet, but the meals on the "deck bar" menu were great, good sizes, good taste. The fish was lovely and fresh, and Ioke's award winning coconut bomb cocktail is an amazing way to start your island holiday or finish off with after a day in the sun.

In all it was a fabulous experience that was great value for money, and we will definitely be staying at the Tanoa Tusitala the next time we come to Samoa and would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Talofa, it is great to hear that you had a great time while staying with us on your recent trip to Samoa. We appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa on your next trip to Samoa.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Ok, for one of the larger and more expensive hotels in Samoa, I did expect a little better. Although the rooms are clean and nice, the service was slow and the food bland. I ordered a simple toasted sandwich and got it 45 minutes later - and then it was the wrong filling but I couldn't be bothered waiting for another one - that about covers the whole food part with everything. I could smell the chlorine from the pool inside the restaurant area?? And all the millipedes and ants that our room had...we had to change as we had an ant infestation. Although service could have been much better, it was always done with a smile :) I did enjoy the tennis court, and front desk courtesy and willing to please, but again - I still expect a little more for my money.

Room Tip: Try upstairs? You may perhaps get less millipedes and ants?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Talofa, and thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa. With regards to the milipedes and ants, we do our best to keep these at a minimum and generally don't have too many issues. I am sorry that you seemed to have an infestation of them.
Appreciate your feedback and as always we are always working on improving our service and the standard at the hotel.
Christchurch
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The hotel is nice, rooms are modern and pleasant with air conditioning, the pool area is relaxing with nice loungers and the bar area is also modern and attractive. We recieved good advice and service from the people at reception, but several of the other staff were unfriendly, ill-informed and very slow to respond to requests. We only stayed 2 nights, but in that time we experienced excessive waiting times to make orders, forgotten orders, multiple items on the menu "unavailable", doubled-up charges for drinks, issues with towels (room and pool), the list goes on. We had a far superior exprience at a resort on Savaii, we wished we had stayed there the whole time. Its a shame because the hotel could be great, location is good, close to town centre, its the service that lets it down. All this, in combination with the excessive pricing means I won't be back unless I am confident there have been significant improvements.

Room Tip: The air conditioning unit in our room was very noisy, but with no other ventilation we needed to lea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Talofa, Thankyou for your comments on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your experience with us at Tanoa was not what you would have expected, and it definitly sounds as though there were a number of issues with your stay. We are always working on our service, and what we offer our guests, so feedback is very important in helping us improve. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you on your next visit to Samoa. I am sure you will find our service will have improved.
Happy Travels.
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The facilities were good, the let down for us was the service, which obviously comes from the top. When I hear the manager of the resort speaking to the staff disrespectfully I understood their attitude better. Don't get me wrong some of the staff were lovely and very helpfully but on a hole very average. Ordering a drink at the bar seemed and inconvenience and breakfast was below average, both what my friend and I ordered was were unable to have as they needed to do the shopping! and the buffet was placed in the sun so I was not that ken on that either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Talofa, thankyou for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala, and I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We are always working towards improving our service standards, and feedback is always welcome.
I am sorry if you thought I was speaking to staff disrespectfully, as that is definitly not my intention. I hope that on your next visit to Samoa you will stay with us again at Tanoa.
wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We arrived to a warm welcome and the experience continued. A lovely property, well designed and centred around a lovely pool area. The "Deck" restaurant is the "Hub" of the Hotel and a social place to meet. The hotel room was always welcoming after the humid heat and a tranquil haven. It was spotlessly clean and tastfully furnished. Food and service a bit slow but we were on "island time" so can be forgiven. Good restaurants outside for evenings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Talofa, and thankyou for your positive comments on your stay with us at Tanoa Tusitala.
It is great to see that you were able to slow down and enjoy "island time".
We look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa on your next trip to Samoa.
Happy Travels.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Pool was nice if a little warm at times. Most staff are friendly but it's the bad ones that leave the impression. Meal delivery is hit or miss...it can turn up in a reasonable time frame but more often than not there are long delays or forgotten orders.

Friends staying with us found that their booking was cancelled & waited hours for it to be sorted. Transfers to the airport are disgraceful.....Our arrival transfer did not show at all & then when departing at 3 am in the morning we were told that the bus had already come & gone as we weren't on the list despite having confirmed the transfer for 330 am the previous day.

All up the stay wasn't all bad....being there for sport & with friends made for fun times. There is a vast amount of fine tuning to be done & the staff need training.

Other than that I would recommend visiting Samoa...It's wonderful

Room Tip: Rooms on the southside can be noisy due to the nightclub somewhere out the back.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, and thankyou for your comments on your recent stay with us. We are constantly working on our service and the standard that we offer our guests, so feedback is always welcomed and important for us to strife to do better. I hope that next time you visit Samoa that we can welcome you back here to Tanoa.
Happy Travels

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!