“Thoroughly enjoyed my stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Le Uaina Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   PO Box 6593, Apia, Upolu, Samoa   |
Ranked #12 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Apia
Melbourne, Australia
“Thoroughly enjoyed my stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I know when you go to a hotel you expect great service, you expect a great standard of comfort and obviously expect so much in terms of what you have paid for. I suppose expectations for some that stayed at the Le Uaina is abit too much.

I stayed at the Le Uaina from the 20th Jan to 27th Jan 14 and really enjoyed it :) Eventhough I read alot of negative reviews about Le Uaina, who am I to complain of the short falls of others/workers? There were alot of things that didnt go my way that you wouldnt expect from other hotels but I didnt complain as I knew to be patience and be humble. I had to accept things as they are hence why I enjoyed it. Didnt stop me from staying at Le Uaina!

Going to samoa for a holiday and staying at any hotels especially Le Uaina, you cant always expect to gain great service that you would perhaps get from hotels Australia, NZ or even the USA. It is what it is and just need to make do. Remember we are in Samoa and people that work in Le Uaina are trying their best to accommodate the needs of guests. If we were to reverse roles with them then perhaps you would see if from their point of view. Just having some patience will see it through and will make your stay a memorable one.

I've stayed in nicer hotels in other countries that provide great service and my expectations were met, however I wasnt expecting the same with Le Uaina as I knew they are trying their best and still trying to improve as a Hotel. Its Samoa, Lets live it up and enjoy it because this I can say, the workers at Le Uaina probably live in far worse conditions that we couldnt even imagine yet we have the luxury to stay in Le Uaina and live like a King in their eyes. Rates we pay to stay is roughly $150-$250 tala a night which is probably their weeks wages. Lets be fair and just make do with what we have :)

Their pizza's in the resturant was by far one of the best i've ever had in Samoa :) Try the pizza's out!

I really enjoyed it, I enjoyed the people, their hospitality and their service when provided :) Nice place, great location and to be honest, I believe it will only get bigger and better as time goes by. I will be going back to stay with my family :)

Well done Le Uaina and forever grateful :)

Josh

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We arrived after staying at Tanu Beach fales in Savaii for 2 nights. So we were looking forward to the RESORT feel.

We had booked our fales, way in advance and paid a deposit to lock in the fales and dates. When we arrived we had found that our booking had been stuffed up and we had people paying full price, yet sleeping on mattresses in double rooms.

I stayed in Garden Room Villa, with a double bed, with my partner and 3 year old daughter. Never was there a single bed offered to us to help accommodate for the lack of room. So we made do, and for the four nights we stayed there we slept in a double bed. with our feet dangling over the edge of the bed. Not very comfortable at all. Our bathroom had what they call trains (friendly centipedes) crawling all over the place. I hated them! We never had hot water as promised, and three times during our stay we were without water. Oh and to add they only turned on our hot water on the day we were checking out.

Restaurant. Our waiters were friendly, but they lacked confidence. They made mistakes, because they didn't have the confidence to come back repeat orders to us. My partner works in Hospitality and gave them a free 1 hour training to help improve their system. It helped them a bit, but in the end they resorted back to their old ways. Again stuffing up orders. Food was appalling, especially breakfast. We would order bacon, or omelettes with bacon or what they call the full breakfast, and we would get spam instead of bacon. The third morning I asked if they had bacon and they said yes, and was served spam to replace where the bacon shoud've went.I found this very frustrating. As the communication from the kitchen to the waiters was ridiculously failing! Food was at a very poor standard I think the only thing that was a hit was the chicken and chips & I'll give them some more credit the pancakes was good for breakfast, and when there was bacon, the breakfast was yumm.. but the wait time is really bad! I mean waiting for almost 40mins - 1 hour for breakfast is not good enough.

Laundry service, we'd given our washing in at SAT $10 a load. Which we found really reasonable. It took 2 days for it to return, and when it was returned not everything was there. I'm not a stingy person Im quite a giving person, but when you see one of the staff walking around wearing your partners singlet thats quite distinctive, I find that really rude. We were still there, and he's walking around air drying my partners singlet. I find that really unacceptable. We weighed it out and thought we would no complain about it at the time because his job paying $2.50 an hour meant more than my partners NZD $10 t shirt. Times are hard I guess....

As we were there in a big group for the purpose of a family reunion. We had family visit us with food. In the hope we would eat together. The owner I found to be really rude. We asked if we could use the deck area, to eat, as there will be people who will also want to order from the restaurant. The owner and his little girlfriend, were not accomodating and said no. We then asked if we could use the conference room, and we would pay for a hour just to eat together, an agreement was made that they would charge us $300 for a hour. Considering the fact that we had people sleeping on mattresses because they stuffed up our booking. They were going to charge us $300 for an hour to eat together. So we had to move all our group up to the family rooms in the little covered area. We sat on the floor and ate as a family. Still the owner was not happy and wanted us to move. He was a rude person, with this nose in the air.

So conclude my review of this place, I won't be returning back. Its so far away from Apia, the rooms are nice I'll give them that, but not great! The workers make this place... the staff are great, they really make up for the lack of... but apart from that I will not be going back to this place.

Room Tip: Garden Vil
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PercyFaleapuna, Manager at Le Uaina Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Talofa Tofa,
We are sad to hear that your shirt went missing, I have taken the time to look for it and if my staff misled me, than we are sorry, but no one claims to have taken your singlet. We went out of our way to accommodate your family with exisitng beds as you did not want to pay any extra money, even after being charged a very competitive rate as you claimed to be the Owners family. We are sad to see you were unhappy with not getting the Conference Room. We do not charge $300 an hour, where did this come from? The charge is $100 and hour. We had another family during this time who stayed only 1 day, used the Conference room for 2 hours and were charged $200. The Conference room is booked according to availability and then, it's not for free. If you gave my staff some pointers on how to behave when serving folks like you. I can only concur with your advise and I'm sure the Waiters/Waitresses will put these in good use. We try our very best to put them in training given by the Australia Hospitality School in town as well as our own in-house trainings. We hire our staff on personality, having common sense, good manners, and being able to take a simple restaurant order ranks very high in our books. We have a simple International Cuisine Menu and they are well versed with it. Sorry if your vocabulary was too much for them. We apologize for any mis treatment you may think you have received, but for next time you check in with a family of 8 in a room rate that you cliam, your Owner relative approved, please pay the extra charge for added guests, it's simply the better way to start your holiday. You will be guarantted extra beddings. We wish you all the best.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This family-run resort was one of the best and most relaxing holidays my partner and I have had.
The single room bungalows are large and well maintained. The resort has just installed new beds throughout and they are comfortable and clean.
The resort is true Samoan style hospitality. The staff are friendly, caring and willing to do anything they can to ensure your stay is comfortable and you are looked after.
The ocean villas are just that, you step out of the door of your roomy, air conditioned, one room bungalow onto a veranda where the sea is just a couple of metres away. The whole island is surrounded by a coral reef and you can walk from the beach to the reef at low tide, a must-do. If walking isn't your thing then take one of the kayaks out, the sea out to the reef is calm and safe and blood temperature.
The food is a mix of traditional Samoan style or as western as you want it, well cooked and varied. If you want something special, just ask and they will do their best to get it for you.
We wanted three weeks of peace and quiet and that is exactly what we got. If we didn't want to be disturbed we were left alone. This place is truly a little slice of unspoiled paradise.

Room Tip: Go for the beach front, you won't regret it
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed for a week and loved every minute of it. The villas on the beach were just perfect. The staff was kind and friendly. Would stay here again. Quite and a nice home away from home. Loved the pool and restaurant. They even delivered to our room.

Room Tip: The villas by the beach were great. plenty of room. had a double bed and a twin.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Let me start off by staying: DON'T GO THERE! This has been the second time that my wife and I have been here - our first visit was also quite disappointing, but I thought I'd give it a second chance --- big mistake!
We checked into one of their garden villas: opened the door to find the air condition and fan going at full speed and were greeted by a pungent smell which I can only imagine must have come from wet clothes soaked in sea water which must have been left hanging in the room! We promptly turned off both the air con and fan and opened all windows to let the bad smell out - this helped a bit. Went into the bathroom to find NO towels, NO soap, and a half used roll of toilet paper which I am sure was left over from the previous occupant. Also the air condition really sounded like a diesel generator with all the noise it put out, making it difficult to sleep.

I made several requests with the front desk about towels to which I got several excuses: "Oh the girl said she dropped them off when she 'cleaned' the room; "Oh we'll drop it off later"...and finally "I'm sorry they're all still wet, we're still drying them."
When I finally did receive them, they (the towels) were still wet...wife and I were too disgusted to use them..high chance of contracting something communicable!

Another area which disappointed me greatly was the 'PR" skills of those at the front desk - On our first night, one of them called out to us (over the counter without getting out of her seat) "ARE YOU TWO STAYING HERE??" - this I thought was quite rude and abrupt, as I would have expected her to at least interject with an "EXCUSE ME" or at least a formal greeting before posing her awkward question. Bar staff and waiter were also unusually tight lipped - no greeting or major questions: only shuffling awkwardly to clean tables and even expecting me to bring back my used dishes myself when I asked to eat by the pool!

In summary: I believe the problem lies with the owners: you need to TRAIN your workers, get people with proper qualifications and PR skills...who are actually friendly and know how to present themselves in front of guests. Also, please maintain your facilities and get more linen/sheets/towels for goodness sakes! Get a laundry room or something. Your facility will run into the ground at the current rate.

Room Tip: Choose ANOTHER hotel altogether!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
PercyFaleapuna, Manager at Le Uaina Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Junior F,

Thank you for your comment and we are very sorry for the ordeal you were put through if this was the case. We will do everything possible to ensure this will not happen again. I see that in general, you were not happy with anything here at Leuaina and for this I am sad. We do hope that the other parts of your experience here in Samoa were better and that it reflected the true hospitality, us Samoans, and our staff here at Leuaina, strive to deliver. With Best Regards

Resort Manager
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We unfortunately stayed here 9 nights. After being double booked and put in a different room we had to be moved the next day as there was no water. I noticed they still continued to put people in this room (and having to move them also)after we were moved without fixing the problem.b The air conditioning in the second room broke down but was eventually fixed. The first meal I had was frozen seafood, at a seaside resort?! So bad I didn't even finish it. Expensive drinks not to mention the sleazy bar manager whom took it upon himself to offer us all massages at various stages of our stay. Two of our group were violently ill with some sort of "bug"as were most of the guests that we talked to.Then last but not least, they didn't top up their power and the whole resort was without power over night. But they had no problem serving guests food the next day that had been sitting in fridges over night with no power. Couldn't wait to leave! But don't use their transfer driver as he charges a fortune and doesn't give you accurate travel times!(that's a whole other story!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joanna S,
Thank you for your comment and we are sad to hear that your were unhappy and we were to blame. We were worried about you girls, drinking Samoan Kava on your first night here, and then your next 2 dinner meals were with other resorts and to top that off, you went off to Savaii for an overnight. So, between all these places, as well as lunches in town. We don't understand, why we were blamed, when you hardly had any meals here. You were the only clients that we had a Taxi issue with. Our driver advised that you only payed him $50 of your $120 fare. I'm not saying I believe him over you, but we've been using this taxi company for 4 years and this is the first complaint. We endeavour to work hard at making you feel comfortable and hope that you would refrain from blaiming us for your stomach bug that could've been picked up from a number of other places you've visisted. We hope that you will have better future holidays, and we do mean it when we wish you the best. Best Regards

Resort Manager
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed for 9 nights and had a fabulous experience. We knew before we arrived that the Le Uaina was not a 5 star beach resort and didn't expect the luxuries that go with that. However we had a great experience and found the resort to be natural and peaceful. Our villa was clean and comfortable with air conditioning. The view from our beach front villa was stunning and swimming in the sea and pool were at our doorstep. We arrived at the airport at approximately 2 o'clock in the morning and a taxi was waiting for us (this was arranged by the resort). On arrival at the resort we were greeted by 2 security guards who guided us to our villa. Our villa was close to the pool and restaurant. The restaurant had a fabulous view over the ocean. On our first day we took a bus into Apia which was a must do experience. The trip was slow but we had the opportunity to experience the beautiful scenery along the coast and to see the traditional villages along the way. However it is well worth hiring a car for a few days to explore other parts of the island and experience some great restaurants.
We can't say enough about the staff who were fantastic. They were 5 star plus. They were very accommodating and nothing was a problem. They were also happy to share their culture with us. If you are a visitor to the Pacific Islands you need to realise that their culture is very relaxed and you just have to go with the flow and enjoy.
The food at the restaurant was adequate although sometimes a bit hit and miss. We found drinks to be reasonably priced (cheaper than NZ prices).
Finally a big thankyou to Fale, Alex, Fano and the rest of the staff who were very kind and welcoming and made our stay very enjoyable. We will definitely be back.

Ross and Marie

Room Tip: Beach front or Ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Uaina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!