I recently stayed at Tatiana motel to complete my elective at TTM hospital. After reading the reviews I decided that this was the place for me. Althought I had a fantastic elective and absolutely adored Samoa I would think carefully when deciding if this accomodation is for you. I wont use this post to go into details about the best things you can see or do in Apia and Samoa (you can read the Saoman tourist site easily) but instead I will focus on the positives and negatives of the actual accomodation.
1) Mama and Papa (the couple who run Tatiana) are extremely friendly and make you feel well looked after.
2) It is close to the hospital
3) As Samoa goes the price is reasonable
4) Many medical students say here and the atmosphere can be fantastic
5) You can get your washing dome very cheaply
6) If you clear out your room you can check out and in several times so that when you go away for a few nights you are not charged
1) The standard of accomodation is poor. The rooms at the front don't have hot water, the rooms in the middle have barely no light. The furnishings are very basic and most of the rooms have the shower in the bedroom and a toilet with no window.
2) There are better quality similarly priced places nearby - Lynnes getway and Outrigger hotel
3) OUM (the local med school) has a few students who stay here and their comfort is put before that of foreign students ie/ on a weekend night if most of those staying at the hotel go out when you get back even if it is not late you are asked not to cause noise incase you upset an OUM student.
4) Breakfast is very repetative
5)There is a known problem with things going missing
In hindsight I now see I like a little higher standards and I would have chosen a different accomodation, but if you are someone that really doesn't mind roughing it you will be rewarded by a really hospitable family.
- Also Known As:
- Tatiana Hotel Apia
- Tatiana Hotel Tanugamanono
- Tatiana Motel -Tanugamanono Samoa/Apia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the outskirts of Apia City within a 3 minutes walking distance to TTM Samoa National Hospital; Oceania University of Medicine and is also close to the National University of Samoa; Ministry of Education, RLS Museum and SPREP. Most popular location for families, medical students, conference/meeting participants, church, sports and school groups & those who like to be near town, not 'in' town in a peaceful, quality & relaxing environment at affordable unbeatable prices. ... more less