“Offers alot, but never quite delivers.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jet Over Hotel

You added Jet Over Hotel to your Saves list
Jet Over Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bluebird Mall at Salelologa, Salelologa, Savai'i, Samoa   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Salelologa
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Offers alot, but never quite delivers.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We booked the Jetover because it was close to the Ferry terminal and by all accounts it looked like a nice, professionally run place. We thought, it would be a good place to spend our last night on Savaii as it had a restaurant and pool. We booked a mall room.

First off - we popped in on the Saturday to ask if could check in a day early (ie on the Sunday). Well the guy on reception looked as if we were asking him for a kidney. After several minutes of speaking in Samoan to the other staff, he stalked off to the office (without saying anything to us) so we stood there wondering whether he was off to ring the police about the organ snatchers waiting at reception! Finally he came back and said "yes that will be fine". We asked to see the room, so they showed my partner to a room which was very acceptable, which would have been nice if they had given us that one when we checked in the following day.

On checking-in we were shown to a much less nice room, but we figured it would be okay. We were also surprised at the lack of check-in protocol (details about the amenitites, restaurant, the fact we had a room with no hot water, etc). So after settling in we went for lunch at the restaurant. The food was lovely and would have been much more appreciated if it hadn't taken 1 hour 10 minues. Given there was just us in there, we were a tad surprised and no one came to explain or even apologise for the delay.

Service wise - we found the staff in the bar and restaurant to be really good and friendly. But the reception staff were less so. They were not impolite but little things like when I asked for an extra pillow - it was a huge production of explaining why I needed an extra pillow, how many the room had. He then he marched off without telling me what was going on, spoke to some other staff in samoan, one of whom finally came over and said she would get one for me. Our first morning when we came down to breakfast, we were greeted with he less usual greeting of "are we checking out" instead of "good morning".

The room - as I said it was okay ... apart from not knowing about the cold water. The ensuite is small and tended to get very stuffy (even with the cold water showers), the shower basin and sink took ages to drain. Worse, we were waken in the night by an awful gurlging, sploshing sound which was the water coming backup and then taking another 10 mintutes to drain nosily away. We suspected that it was not just from our shower or bathroom basin usage because it happened several times thought out our stay. The airconditioner sounded like a jet engine (the filters were filthy). And finally, we found mouse (or possibly gecko) dirt in the kitchenette cupboard.

The pool which looks so inviting became less so when we realised you could only see 2 feet into it. But the swim out in the sea around the pontoons is wonderful.

Finally on checking out, my partner had had enough after the eftpos machine was down and they wanted us to take a taxi, to go and get cash to pay. Granted it would have been minimal cost, but after everything and the fact they had a hotel van parked outside - he insisted in being driven. At which time the manager came out and took him in the van, giving him the chance to go over our experience. She was very apologetic and we did get a complimentary night, which was an appreciated gesture.

To sum up - it looks good on the website, but we just were not impressed by the difficulties we encountered.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Apia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Staff always nice (stayed here many times) but there is always something missed in the rooms; old soap, leftovers in fridge, shower not cleaned...etc.
Internet usage is a huge rip off! Yes I know internet is expensive in Samoa, I live here. But what these guys try to sell it for is highway robbery!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Well where to start...
Our confirmed booking was for 3 beds in the room- nope 2 beds when told this they said "its all we provide" so whose the liar? Me or the front desk?
The room was clean at least, however an unkept shower, a broken tv and a non working fridge when told of these the fafa receptionist assured us it would be taken care- well it wasnt and probably still hasnt been and Ive back home a couple weeks.
All in all it was the low point of an otherwise wonderful trip- it might be a little better in the high season but I would stongly not reccomend this hotel- the Drama Queen was just that too much DRAMA

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Copenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

Staying at the jet over is a lottery ticket – can be really good or really bad. It all depends on the mood of the management.

The first time we stayed there, everything was really good. The room, the service, all around the experience was good, so we decided to return. BIG mistake! The room was dirty (washing up from the previous guests was stacked up in the sink, bathroom was filthy, floor had not been vacuumed for weeks) and the staff were indifferent to our requests for a working television – which is a big deal to my eight-year old son – but no attempts were made to rectify.

The guests at the hotel is mainly Samoans. Every afternoon while we were staying there larger groups of Samoan nouveau riches turned up for an afternoon beer (which often turned into late night drinking). A very interesting group of very big men and women wearing large quantities of gold. All very friendly, helpful and curious towards foreigners.

Should you decide to stay at the Jetover you should note that some of the rooms have no window to the outside, but only to a narrow corridor used by the public, so curtains would have to be drawn at all times.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We stayed at Jet Over for 5 days. Hotel frontage wasn't very promising , but we were pleasantly surprised when we got inside. Rooms were clean and the new units have a sea view. Our unit appeared very new and would benefit from finishing details such as lightening.
The restaurant kept surprising us, very reasonable prices and almost every item on the menu was available, including local lobster for about USD 15.00.
Management organization needs a review, it took several hours to check out and they had trouble to finalize the bill. A couple of glitches but overall a good choice of hotel/resort.

• Liked — Sea Views, Restaurant , friendly staff
  • Disliked — Rooms need some finishing touches, needs management review.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

I booked DIRECTLY with the hotel. Phone was answered by a male who wrote down my details and confirmed the dates I wanted were available. There was a communication barrier there as English was not his first language. The next day I called back to confirm that the Male had actually booked me in. There was NOTHING booked. The female then took my booking and confirmed the DATES, PRICE, METHOD of PAYMENT and TYPE OF ROOM. I repeated everything 3 times to ensure it was correct as I was very particular with what I wanted and even went as far as saying “so when I sit on the balcony all I can see is the ocean there right in front of me”? The female replied “Yes”. After reading a previous review I thought I better check again as it was school holidays so I sent an email to the hotel (Email address supplied on Samoan Tourism Authority page). The email address was NOT VALID. I had to send an email to the Samoa Hotel Association where the President of the association respond and confirmed my booking attached with an email from the owner of Jetover. It was confirmed for the third time that I would pay 120WST (Wetsern Samoa Tala) per night for a Sea View Room and Credit card facilities were available.

On arrival I noticed some rooms 2 floors up facing the fire station and thought "Lucky we haven't booked those rooms". We checked in at a little side office in the "mall" area (may have upgraded by now) The female that checked us in didn’t seem to comprehend anything we were saying and her customer service skills were appalling. She couldn't find my reservation. After looking for maybe the 4th time, she finally found it and I asked her whether it was the correct one (Sea View, 120WST etc etc) she said NO, I thought maybe a language barrier? But it was still NO. I then recalled the rooms facing the fire station and asked her to point to where we would be staying and she pointed to the rooms facing the fire station! I asked her if there was a balcony with sea view and she said YES? So we went to have a look. I didn't even step into the room because from the front door, all I could see was a tree and a fence. I later learned that if I stepped out on to the balcony and look to the far left past the trees, I would have seen the sea. I said no and was told that I they have other rooms which were brand new and haven't been used yet. Funnily enough they were SEA VIEW and NOT OBSTRUCTED SEA VIEW.

Room was GORGEOUS, Kitchen with Table 2 chairs, Microwave, Kettle, Crockery, Cutlery, Room upstairs had 2 single beds and one Queen bed, flat screen TV, Great Air Con, Beautiful Balcony with a stunning stunning view. The bathroom was VERY room with a toilet, basin and shower. It kind of looked like it was missing something or unfinished but was nice.

THE BAD: For 3 people we were only given one key. The bathroom had 1/2 toilet paper roll, a loofah and 3 x towels. Shower was cold only but advertised on internet as cold and hot water. Kitchen was crawling with ants EVERY DAY. Bathroom window with the famous Samoan Louvre’s wasn't covered with a curtain or anything but faced a cement wall and as the hotel was under construction at the time, every so often a male worker would stand right in front of that window and talk on his cell phone. We ended up having to block it with a towel. Shower was blocked when we arrived and remained that way until it was fixed 2 days later. Bathroom had no type of ventilation so once the door was closed it got EXTREMELY stuffy even with just cold water showers. Phone didn’t work, There were no Blankets or Duvets just one white linen sheet per bed so you froze with the aircon on and if you turned it off you died from the heat. The room upstairs also had a window looking out at another room? And workmen were always passing through and looking in. There was no privacy and all night a light was on that couldn’t be turned off and it shone right into our room until the morning. We complained about it but nothing was done. We stayed for 10 days and asked a staff member where we could do laundry and she told us that each person had to find somewhere to do their own. The iron received on request was an accident waiting to happen with wires sticking out everywhere. The room was not serviced or cleaned unless we asked for it to be e.g new towels and this could only happen when we were in the room because apparently we had the ONLY key to the room. We ended up having to buy our own toilet paper. The owner I guess upon realising that we were staying for 10 days (and still had a few days to go) decided that we needed to settle our accommodation bill PRIOR to check out. We were asked to attend the side office which we did. I had my credit card ready only to be told that I had to go to the Hardware store at the top of the mall where they had the credit card facilities. Now, I didn’t feel comfortable with this so I decided to pay in cash but my room rate had gone from 120WST to 180WST. Now after all that I had been through, I didn’t think so. The owner was aware that I had concerns with the booking process, check in process and every other process so decided that she would direct her conversation to my fiancé and blamed everything on the Samoa Hotel Association saying that they were being marketed incorrectly and people are assuming that it’s a 4 star hotel. After much debate where the owner spoke in the most condescending manner she decided to give me the rate that I was initially told. From that day until check out we were asked for pre-payment of all our meals which was pretty insulting. Kitchen is understaffed as there was a group of men dining on a particular night and we waited an hour and a half for our meal to arrive THEN to top it off, 2 days before we were due to leave we were advised that our room rate was INCLUSIVE of Buffet Breakfast.

The Good: The food was of a good standard ESPECIALLY the chops (perfect meal for hungry men). The Chef was a lovely Samoan man from Sydney. Kitchen staff was wonderful especially the young lady Elenise who spoke both Samoan and English fluently with impeccable customer service. Another female worker who works in the laundry was also of wonderful assistance as she helped with everything and anything and was so friendly. The Bar tender also fluent in both languages had great customer service. The pool area is GREAT and leads on to the beach. The room was beautiful, The view from the balcony was great. The location is perfect as the property is situated in town - and conveniently located directly opposite the ANZ Bank, ATM, Salelologa Markets and buses to go anywhere in Savaii.

The hotel has great potential but with only 3 people providing stellar customer service and an owner that treats guests the way she treated us, it will be hard to reach it's potential. I would still recommend this property as everything is a case by case basis and the view was just unforgettable.

• Liked — The Kitchen Staff, The balcony view (sea view apartments only), The accommodation is quite nice for the location as it's almost luxury in the heart of town
  • Disliked — The booking process, check-in process, lack of decent customer service and the treatment received from the owner
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SOUFZID AUKZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

Arriving at Jetover Motel was very interesting, receptionist wasn't quite sure what to do so we were directed to Jetover Motel Manager whom seem to check us out throughly. After reading our confirmation letter from SAMOA HOTEL ASSOCIATION whom i made our reservation with, a quick call to the receptionist, we were escorted to our unit.

As always i checked to see if i got what i requested. I was very pleased with the spacious unit, ensuite, balcony & seaview. We found our unit to be very clean & tidy. Linen was nice & fresh. All units are upstairs so i got a nice view.

I chose Jetover Motel, due to quick stopover before heading to SAVAII LAGOON RESORT, next to bluebird mall, banks, local shops, bakery, hardware stores. Across the road was the Market & Bus stop, brought some items there. Firestation & police station was nice and close. Local people seemed alot more relaxed there too.

Went for a stroll to the wharf totally loved the seaview & meeting some of the locals. Our taxi driver was a relation of my partner who drove us up & down WESTCOAST RD. We placed our RAGLAN SURF sticker on his rear window as a gift from us lol.

Definitely going to stay at Jetover Motel on my next visit to SAVAII, MID 2008 YEE AHH!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — cold water showers but heyy it blessing when your hot & sticky
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jet Over Hotel? Share your experiences!