“Dont bother” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jet Over Hotel

You added Jet Over Hotel to your Saves list
Jet Over Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bluebird Mall at Salelologa, Salelologa, Savai'i, Samoa   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Salelologa
Auckland
“Dont bother”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We checked in for two nights in mid jan 2013. Our preference was to stay at manase in a beach fale but because of the continuous rain decided to go with jetover. We paid extra to stay in a sea view room.the aircon was not working and when i reported it i was told they were already aware there was a prob with that particular room. So why were we not told this in the first instance? I had to bug them about giving us a discount for the first nite as we paid cash on arrival. The receptionist (a faafafine) has a terrible attitude and should not be in customer services. When we asked for towels ir took 4 hours before we get them. There are no dishes or cutlery in the units so you have to wait around for those too. I found the same receptionist asleep in the lounge/dining area the morning after their karaoke night and the nxt day I had to wake him up at the desk when we were waiting to check out at 9am! The owners attitude isnt much better. He initially would not give us a discount for not getting the airconditioned room we had paid for but reluctantly gave us a pizza valued at 30 tala. Very unprofessional establishment.....do not bother booking here

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Jetover, as far as we were concerned was the best value for money for the whole of
Savaii. We had only the lesser priced room but found that apart from the lack of "ocean view" it had all of the other attributes you really needed with a few exceptions. It was fairly old admittedly but compared with other accommodation we had seen on the island it was pretty good.. The water supply was great, the fridge worked like a charm (and froze ice) which was pretty rare, the place was clean,tidy and reasonably well appointed.The swimming pool was clean and very inviting as were the gardens and surrounds. The lack of actual swimming beach did not really matter too much to us.
The meals were quite good and the bar service was reasonable, except for the fact that we could not get a real cold stubby of Vailima.But the draught was good and cold when they had some.
The included breakfast was a bit of a farce and needs to be seriously looked at as it is nowhere near the quality or quantity offered in other places on the islands.
The service was pretty good and the staff did their utmost to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Save yourselves 40 tala and get a non sea-view room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alice Springs, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

If you like cockroaches in your lunch visit this resort. Not worth rating.
We had booked, but some travelers turned out before us....and we could not get the room anymore. Our room was gone!
The staff did not really care. Sloppy service. Any other location in Savai'i is better than this one.
No service, no atmosphere.
It is close to the wharf, but really it is not worth it. After all if you go to Savai'i you must be there for a few days.

Room Tip: I agree with all other accommodations in Savai'i.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Thankfully we were only stuck here one night as we missed ferry, but I would avoid at all costs if possible. Room still had dishes in sink, toiletries and dirty towels in bathroom. They said someone would come up to room and clean but never did. Dinner was slow, then my husband said he saw half the staff watching samoa star search or some kind of idol show, so no wonder no one was cooking dinner or serving bar. Resort facilities are budget, look nothing like brochures or ads. Reception is unhelpful. Have unfortunately encountered many poor motels in Samoa, but this one takes the cake. Save your hard earnt $$ for somewhere else that actually remembers we pay a lot of money to go on holiday and would love to get some decent value for our money!!

• Stayed November 2011
Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The manager was very helpful when we contacted them after making a booking and gave us a room that met all our needs. The staff were very helpful.Having a fridge & kettle was great as we had brought supplies such as good bread, cheese & olives that you can't get on Savaii and were able to make snacks whenever we felt like it. The new pool was under construction but we could swim whenever we wanted off the pontoon in the lagoon. Deckchairs & lounges in the pretty garden/beach for relaxing in the shade or sunset. Quiet spot, despite being in town.

Room Tip: Not sure if the cheaper mall rooms have hot water - worth asking before booking.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark B, Manager at Jet Over Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your kind words we always do our best to please.
All I would like to add to your review apart from our thanks are a couple of pieces of information. Firstly in answer to your point, Yes, our Mall Rooms do have hot water.
And secondly our pool project is now finished and we can again offer use of a pool which is now larger and better than before. We will post some new photo's of it to Tripadvisor later today.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed for one night as it was close to the ferry. We didn't pre book and just turned up and asked to look at their rooms. They happily obliged. At the time the pool was under repair.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I asked where I could add credit to my phone and one of the staff went down the street for me and recharged it for me. They even offered to drive us the the ATM which is only about a 5 minute walk down the street.
We hired the cheapest car on their books for 2 days. The car was old but clean and didn't break down. It was also the hotel company car complete with signage so you only had to refuel to where the guage was when you picked it up.
Our room was air conditioned but no fan. Modern new and a great view from the balcony. It was 2 storey with bedroom and TV upstairs. Shower and toilet downstairs so kept the curtains drawn. The kitchen was modern and almost brand new. If you dont like stairs dont stay.
In Samoa hotels they turn off the fridges but keep the fridge door closed so when you open it up it does smell. Once the fridge cranked up it worked fine and the smell soon went away.
The "mall" is almost deserted with a few empty shops.
They offered a free shuttle bus service to the ferry.
There were plenty of staff on hand to help with suitcases and if they weren't around just ask and they appear. If you are bias against he/shes then dont stay. A few of the staff were men dressed as woman but this did not affect the service they provided.
Like all over Samoa there is a vast contrast in living standards and once outside the hotel the street is second rate with stray dogs and even the odd pig. It is safe.
We didn't eat here because we bought our own food but the restaurant looked clean and modern with great views.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Jet Over Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for your review we are glad that we were able to add to your enjoyment of our wonderful country.
With regards to the stairs in our terrace suites this can be a problem for some (I have dodgy knees myself) but still come and stay as our Mall Rooms which have now been renovated are on one level. The pool is, as I type this being enlarged and the pool designer is due here tomorrow to lay all the drians, pumps and filters.
We are looking forward to welcoming everyone to our newly renovated rooms and new, enlarged pool. We now offer pizza onsite along with a full range of bakery items from meat pies to scones.
We are trying our best to improve our exisiting facilities while adding new ones so please do gives us a try, if only for one night as you arrive or leave Savaii. We think you'll be impressed.
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I decided to try Jetover at the start of this trip, but went back to my favourite of the Savaiian after one night.
The fales were 60wst for one person, the bed had gecko pooand termite dust on it, the decor was gecko eaten and the room was small and old. The communal bathroom wasnt cleaned.
The pool was out of order and a month later when I stopped by was still out of order.
The food was overpriced and limited choice
My only hope is the new manager and his wife may improve things, I will check next year just in case...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Jet Over Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear Amy's Mom,

Firstly let me apologise for the shortcomings in our establishment during your stay. However as the new manager you mentioned I would just like the right of reply on a couple of the problems you encountered.
With regards to the pool we have no excuse it was out of order for the month you claimed ( and will be so for about another 3-4 weeks) this is due to new plans coming into place. As of Monday work will begin on a new larger pool, this will also include a run off to a small pool designed and built specifically for the little ones to enjoy the water in relative safety. I say relative as all water can be dangerous and parents must still be 100% vigilant while their children swim. I guess some pain is inevitable as we strive to improve and I'm sorry the pool work fell during your stay.
With regards to the fale and your prefered choice of The Savaiian I would like to just say this:
We have taken steps over the last few weeks to change our housekeeping policy and our staff system of working. This I hope will cure the problems you encountered especially in the communal areas of shower and toilet-however the odd gheko poo on the bed I'm afraid is the price of living in the tropics and staying in fales with thatched roofs.
I would also like to point out to everyone that if you had selected one of our airconditioned rooms which I believe are on a par with the Savaiian while I couldn't guarantee NO gheko visitors you may have found your room larger and more on a par with your preferred hotel of choice. Especially with an ensuite toilet and shower,aircon and TV.
As you say my wife and I are the new management team here and will strive to improve on all fronts over the coming months. My employer has promised to back us financially and so far we have new kitchen equipment intsalled worth NZD$20,000 (pizza ovens plus a new pressure fryer-the first in the southern hemisphere) with another NZD$44,000 ordered. We have already refurbished 5 rooms and the new pool work starts Monday. I hope by next year all this hard work and our new staff training policy will help change your mind on your preferred hotel.

Thanks for the chance to reply. If anyone would prefer to write to me privately rather than in an open forum please feel free to email me at jetoverhotel@gmail.com

Mark&Kisa Birtwistle

Been to Jet Over Hotel? Share your experiences!